Windows Ultimate Vista 64 Bit at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old November 6th, 2009, 02:09 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Windows Ultimate Vista 64 Bit

Good Day to you all! Just wondering if any of you using Windows Utlimate 64 bit have downloaded the Service pack 2 for your OS with any success...my computer keeps reminding me to do it, but I really do not need any workflow issues right now. Any thoughts on this issue?

Thanks in Advance!
Old November 6th, 2009, 02:35 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Wait till your project is finished. Turn off the automatic updates till then.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2009, 02:58 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Service Pack 2

It does not bother me that the updates are there....I just wanted to know if anyone has installed this update with no problems. Luckily as of late, I always in a project of some kind.

Thank You
Old November 6th, 2009, 03:10 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I presume you're talking about Vista SP2...that was so long ago for me I can't remember any issues, but as a rule I would never install a SP in the middle of a project even if others have had no issues. For example there are people having issues with Windows 7 while I've never had any issues.

You might go ahead, but I wouldn't.
Old November 6th, 2009, 09:34 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lorince View Post
It does not bother me that the updates are there....I just wanted to know if anyone has installed this update with no problems. Luckily as of late, I always in a project of some kind.

Thank You
John, I installed SP2 with no problem. For some reason, I noticed months after its release that Windows Update had it listed but it failed to download automatically, so I downloaded it direct from the MS website and installed with no problem.

Now all of that's old news because I run Windows 7 Ultimate 64!

Steve
Steven Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2009, 07:36 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Windows 7

Any reason in particular for the switch to windows 7 from vista? New machine perhaps, or was vista that buggy for you?

Thanks
Old November 9th, 2009, 07:47 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Vista was OK, not bad, but Windows 7 seems darn near perfect. I heard about the beta version, downloaded it while it was available and took a chance, and I love it. I can't even remember Vista anymore. Windows 7 just runs better, smoother. It's the way Vista should have been. Kind of the opposite of Vegas. Vegas 8 is what Vegas 9 should have been. Earlier I was talking about how nicely Vegas 9.0c ran, and my text disappeared. It's still on the timeline, but it doesn't appear in the preview window. I hate Vegas 9.
Old November 9th, 2009, 07:52 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lorince View Post
Any reason in particular for the switch to windows 7 from vista? New machine perhaps, or was vista that buggy for you?

Thanks
John, Vista wasn't *that buggy*, but I had a few niggles that really irritated me so the point where I started to pay attention to the Windows 7 fans here and on other forums. My punchlist for Vista included processes hanging when I rebooted (making for VERY long reboot times), User Account Control (UAC) popping up in my face all the time, and -- the major one -- it hogged a LOT of RAM just sitting there all by itself. The last tended to crash long projects (i.e., long = longer than 15 minutes!) on which I used Magic Bullet Looks -- a known resource hog -- even when I used the 2GB memory hack. I had better experiences with 8.1, but then I lost my 32-bit plugins.

None of these were showstoppers, but they irritated me greatly, and everyone who had anything to say about Win7 just raved about it. So I jumped. This very minute I'm in the middle of an edit in 8.0(c) -- my first -- in Win 7. When it comes time to render, I'll see how things go. So far, the whole experience, including installation of the OS, is butter smooth. I'm truly impressed.

Steve
Steven Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2009, 08:50 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
Earlier I was talking about how nicely Vegas 9.0c ran, and my text disappeared. It's still on the timeline, but it doesn't appear in the preview window. I hate Vegas 9.
Jeff, this is the first time I've heard of this.
Can you reproduce this problem?
Have you reported it to Sony?
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2009, 08:58 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Can't reproduce it, it just happened. First thing I tried was to copy the media on the timeline, paste it next to the original, and the copied version was fine, but the original was not. I deleted the original and everthing was cool. The original project was created in Vegas 8, which is likely the cause. I don't really hate Vegas 9, it just irritates the crap out of me when these silly things happen.
Old November 9th, 2009, 09:23 PM   #11
Inner Circle

You had me worried for a moment so I just tried loading in a few V8 projects that have lots of titles into V9 and they all worked as expected.
My guess is that you forgot to make an offering of several strong coffees to the Vegas gremlins before trying this :-)
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 12:09 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Good Day to you all! Just wondering if any of you using Windows Utlimate 64 bit have downloaded the Service pack 2 for your OS with any success...my computer keeps reminding me to do it, but I really do not need any workflow issues right now. Any thoughts on this issue?
I had no issues when I downloaded it back in June nor since :)

Windows 7 looks good and I'll be upgrading to it soonish!
Paul Inglis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 12:56 PM   #13
Inner Circle

I'm finding 32 bit version is running more smoothly for me than 64 bit overall. Text issue occured again, but instead of not appearing, it was off centered, way off. Different project. Easy fix of copying and pasting and deleting original...again, project was created in Vegas 8.

Last edited by Jeff Harper; November 11th, 2009 at 08:20 AM.
Old November 11th, 2009, 08:20 AM   #14
Inner Circle

I'm finding the preview function is not as smooth with special effects added in either version of Vegas 9...anyone else experiencing this? Is there a solution? I have set the dynamic ram to 0 and to 256, no difference.

I have the "adust size and quality" feature turned off.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...