Vegas 9 REFUSES to recognize a 3 - 4 minute patch of HDV at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old November 20th, 2009, 03:37 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Vegas 9 REFUSES to recognize a 3 - 4 minute patch of HDV

Wow, this is a disturbing one.

As I said in another thread, I recently reformatted my drive, put all my files back on it and upgraded from Vegas 7 to Vegas 9.

So far, everything's been pretty good. All my video files were preserved on backup. I've opened all of my important .VEG files, and had good luck rendering out AVIs and MPEGs using all the .veg files created in Vegas 7 and hdv ingested with 7.

HOWEVER, there is one patch of video, literally 4 minutes within a larger chunk of HDV, that Vegas 9 will NOT recognize. Onscreen it shows half an image, with the bottom half a big GREEN blank. A big chunk of sound in that section is also missing.

First I thought, "Okay, this file just must have gotten corrupted in the backup and restore process. I'll just re-ingest from the exact same in and out points on the original HDV tape, and then use the Replace function to sub the new footage in on all the timelines."

So I re-ingest it, and as it comes it it looks and sounds PERFECT. Except that when I look at the new file that's been created, nearly the SAME problem occurs -- I get some moving image, except it WILL NOT give me any sound for that 3 - 4 minutes.

Now bear in mind, I have literally over 50 hours of ingested footage on my HDDs, and all of it seems to be working fine, in and out of Vegas 9.

WHY would this one particular chunk of tape (which plays back perfectly fine on the camera and during capture) NOT be recognized by Vegas 9?

Any advice to fix this, or a workaround?

Thanks much for any help, this is driving me nuts.

RG
Robert Gould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2009, 10:59 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Update: I was able to fix this by re-ingesting the video a second time. No idea what caused this bizarre problem, but I have to think it had something to do with corrupted data.
Robert Gould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2009, 12:49 PM   #3
Major Player

By 'reingesting' do you mean that you 'recaptured' from the original HDV tape?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...