need to render Vegas to Flash - best way - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old February 5th, 2010, 06:20 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Hi David

Your source footage needs to be rendered out as progressive and square pixels !!
A 720x480 DV video has a non square PAR on the horizontal pixels so a TV will display it correctly but it will be squished on your computer screen and Flix will also see it as squished.

Simply re-render the clip but use the Custom button on the render screen and set your video size to what you want ... (i use 480x270 but as long as it has a ratio of 1.77777 that's fine) Set the field to progressive and the aspect to "square pixels" and render!!

In Flix I would set the Audio/Video tab so the FLV has the same dimensions as the source

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2010, 06:36 PM   #17
Trustee

Using the avi NTSC DV output, it won't let me change the rendering to Square Pixels. I changed the project to Square Pixels and made it progressive, but as far as rendering - unless I change it to compressed in Vegas, I cannot render it as square pixels - or did you mean square pixels in Flix Pro?
I have tried a bunch of settings nows and it does not work, the image for the FLV is still squished. Can't figure it out. I don't want to render to uncompressed, so I need a different way to change it to square pixels on the render. Going to try WMV and render out with that, it seems to let me choose square pixels, just don't know if FlixPro accepts it or not.
David Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2010, 08:41 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Hi David

Yep. WMV will let you do it without any issues!! I tend to make the clip 1280x720 and just set the aspect to square pixels. In Flix set the video size to suit your player but stay within the 1.777 aspect ratio.
I know that MPEG2 is compressed but Flix gives me great results converting MPEG2 files so I just render to my player size and set the interlaced footage to progressive and the aspect to square. You don't need to change any project settings at all. Vegas will render the clip correctly for you and it won't be squashed either!!

To be honest I don't see any difference in quality between WMV and MPEG2 converted to FLV.

On my sample page Sample Wedding Video Clips the first clip in the player is WMV to FLV and the rest are MPEG2 to FLV ...with basically small video (480x270) I don't think there is an awful lot of difference!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2010, 12:24 PM   #19
Trustee

Thank you. You have been a big help. I went with the wmv for this project.
David Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2010, 02:53 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Just a quick addon for converting from SD 720x480 anamorphic to square-pixel 16x9 resolutions:

640x360 - A standard def equivalent that lowers vertical resolution to acheive 16x9.
854x480 - A standard def equivalent that raises horizontal resolution to acheive 16x9.

I've found myself using these two frequently, making the choice per final output resolution.
Old May 23rd, 2010, 02:06 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Is it possible to render out to dimensions that are used in this animation example. If so, do you have a recommendation.

I need to make an animation just like it, but without squishing all the pics together at the end.

Best that I can figure out is my project will need to be 940px W x 175px H

Animation here

Last edited by Ken Olson; May 23rd, 2010 at 03:00 PM.
Ken Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2010, 04:08 PM   #22
Inner Circle

I don't know your original footage dimensions and therefore cannot know what sizes you can render to, but here is a calculator to help you determine optimal size for your project. I personally render to avi then use Flash to render to flv.

Adobe - Flash application: Flash video (FLV) bitrate calculator
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2010, 06:16 AM   #23
New Boot

usually I use Video To Flash Converter PRO ( [GeoVid] Video to Flash, Flash to Video,PowerPoint to Video, Video to mp3 ) ...
Bredly Root is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...