need to render Vegas to Flash - best way at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 28th, 2010, 04:01 PM   #1
Trustee

need to render Vegas to Flash - best way

I am rendering out some video that I need to convert to FLV - what are most people doing to complete this? I want to keep the file size smaller as well.
suggestions?
David Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2010, 04:20 PM   #2
Trustee

David,

I've used flixpro for the last couple of years to convert .avi to flash http://www.on2.com/index.php?365 and been very happy with the results.
Old January 28th, 2010, 04:43 PM   #3
Trustee

What did you render the original file from vegas as?
David Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2010, 05:04 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Hi David

I use FlixPro for my FLV's as well. I suspect that it might make a better clip if you use a lossless format but to be perfectly honest, I'm lazy!!! I just render the video using the MPEG2 template and use the default preset. I then change the video size to what I need using the 'custom' button and change the field order to 'none-progressive', the frame rate to 30fps (we are in PAL land), and the then aspect from 16:9 to 'square pixels'

The end result with the MPEG2 to FLV is pretty good!!! You are looking at around 35mb for a 10 minute clip encoded at 512kbs. The overall result must be acceptable to my wedding clients as they often book a wedding after just seeing on online clips and those are done at 480x270 pixels as I'm using the MediaCollege free player as it has a neat playlist so I can run multiple clips in one player.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2010, 10:49 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Diewert View Post
I've used flixpro for the last couple of years to convert .avi to flash On2 Flix Pro - Professional Flash Video Editing & Encoding Software for Windows and Mac and been very happy with the results.
Also, take a look at Flix Standard on the same site. The least-expensive way to get On2's excellent VP6 codec. Here's their comparison chart.
Old January 29th, 2010, 11:35 AM   #6
Inner Circle

When I need an FLV I render in Vegas to AVI then bring it into OnFlix standard and render to FLV in that. The quality is very good and very easy and trouble free. Well worth it IMO.
Old January 31st, 2010, 03:05 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Hi David
....... I then change the video size to what I need using the 'custom' button and change the field order to 'none-progressive', the frame rate to 30fps (we are in PAL land), and the then aspect from 16:9 to 'square pixels' .........

Chris
Surely, if you're in PAL land, that should be 25fps...??
Steve Renouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2010, 06:33 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Hi Steve
Most web video is at 30fps as TV systems don't come into play at all with web based video. It just seems to look a tad better at 30fps.

Hi Don

Just for interest, which AVI preset do you use when rendering video out to AVI for Flix???
I'm getting good results with MPEG2 files to FLV but they are obviously already "lossy''

Chris
Old January 31st, 2010, 06:46 PM   #9
Trustee

Is this sw free?
thx
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2010, 07:17 PM   #10
Regular Crew

You might be able to frame serve with debugmode frameserver from Vegas and then convert to flv in Super. Both software are free.

Frameserver will spare you a render since it allows your Vegas project on the timeline to render into another application, in this case Super.

Taken from debugmode instructions:

Sony Vegas/Vegas Pro
1. Choose menu "File > Render As" to open the default render dialog (make sure your project uses 8/16 bit audio, they are the supported formats).
2. Enter a valid filename for the output file. This file is called the "signpost" file.
3. Choose "Debugmode FrameServer" as the output type.
4. Click "Save" to start FrameServing.
Robert St-Onge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2010, 07:39 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Chris,
when I render to AVI I just use the DV-AVI standard preset whatever that is. Too be honest I don't remember the exact numbers and my machine is off but it's just the standard preset.
Old January 31st, 2010, 09:03 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Hey Don

Many thanks..I'll see if there is any marked difference ,,there should be!! In Flix I'm not using the VP6 facilities ..it looked confusing so my current clips are just done in Flash 8 at 512kbs and look fairly good to me.

Where can I get more info on using the VP6 side of Flix??? Is file size better???? An 8 minute wedding clip at the moment comes out around 35mb encoded at 512kbs in Flash 8

Thanks again Don

Chris
Old February 1st, 2010, 10:49 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Martell View Post
Is this sw free?
thx
No. No encoder that includes the excellent VP6 flash video codec is free. For free flash encoding, you either need to use the horrible Sorenson Spark codec, or, h.264. h.264 can be pretty good, and many people are using it, but, it is a highly complex codec that takes some processing power to decode.

Per recent analysis by Jan Ozer (article is online, but I can't look at the moment), Youtube is using h.264 at low resolutions, VP6 at medium resolutions, and h.264 at high resolutions. Very interesting information, to me at least.

See below for the links. Flix Standard is $40 USD, which is the minimum cost of a VP6-capable encoder. Every other encoder is hundreds of $.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Bloombaum View Post
Also, take a look at Flix Standard on the same site. The least-expensive way to get On2's excellent VP6 codec. Here's their comparison chart.

Last edited by Seth Bloombaum; February 1st, 2010 at 11:53 PM. Reason: corrected typo
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2010, 02:58 PM   #14
Major Player

I frameserve directly from Vegas 8 to Flash Encoder. Works like a charm.
Old February 5th, 2010, 06:08 PM   #15
Trustee

Ok, I have a strange issue here.
I have rendered out the files to AVI both regular and widescreen (to make the comparison). From here, I have taken them into FlixPro and rendered them out to FLV. But when I view the finished video, it looks squished. The AVI looks great (there is a ROUND bass drum in the shot, so that is my point of reference). The flv, which is rendered at 320 X 213 is slightly squished top to bottom, the drum becomes a light oval. Not sure why.
The original footage is 720 X 480 DV from the HV20. The project is set up according to the footage, and the AVI rendered looks right - but the final out from FlixPro is noticeable squished.
I maintained video ratio in the setting as well. What do you think this issue is?

Also I just noticed if I switch the VLC player to 4:3, it looks fine, but the FLV output from the FlixPro and running the FLV files natively from VLC player/video media player, it is still squished - something is up...
David Delaney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...