Preview not smooth - my fault? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old February 12th, 2010, 07:00 AM   #1
Trustee

Preview not smooth - my fault?

I'm using Cineform (High Quality Mode) to convert AVCHD/H.264 files and editing in Vegas on a Q6600/8GB in Win7/64. Preview seems as if it should be a lot better than it is - slow, jumpy, delayed, etc.

My project setting are DV Widescreen, 8-Bit.

Am I doing something wrong? Shouldn't it work much better than this?
Old February 12th, 2010, 08:56 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Paul, if you're using Pro 9, do you have the Adjust Size and Quality for Optimal Playback option in the Preview window (right-click there to get to this) disabled and set to your normal setting (typically Preview/Auto)?
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2010, 11:58 AM   #3
Trustee

Mike, are you saying I should disable Adjust Size and Quality for Optimal Playback?
Old February 12th, 2010, 02:24 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Paul, that was one of the first things I changed when I got Pro 9.
The main reason is that I didn't want the computer deciding what frame rate it would play at.
I generally leave mine at Preview/Auto unless I'm doing a RAM render or a Prerender in which case I'll set it to Best/Full.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2010, 03:25 PM   #5
Trustee

Do you know of any other tweaks that might help? My footage is 1920x1080, but I have the project set to DV. Does that matter at all, or does it only effect rendering?
Old February 12th, 2010, 06:02 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Slip a core i7 under the hood... I didn't have too much luck with AVCHD with a Q6600 even at fairly low settings - draft/full was about the best I could achieve. Although I'm getting decent results with a more recent quad core laptop... may have been a bottleneck elsewhere in my old desktop...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2010, 11:34 PM   #7
Trustee

Paul, could you be using too many threads? I believe Vegas comes configured for 16 threads out of the box, while you should be using the number of processors you have plus one. Using too many threads may impose unnecessary overhead, so Windows cannot handle the playback at full speed and starts dropping frames, which in turn causes jerky preview.

Though I am not sure whether it uses all those threads when previewing or only when rendering, so I may be completely wrong here.
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2010, 04:50 AM   #8
Trustee

Dave - If it was just a matter of replaceing the CPU, I'd do it immediately. Unfortunately, the i7 would require a new motherboard, new memory and a new power supply.

Adam - I will give that a try. How about Preview Memory? What's your recommendation there?
Old February 13th, 2010, 10:59 AM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cascio View Post
How about Preview Memory? What's your recommendation there?
The way I understand it, you should keep it fairly low. It is the amount of memory Vegas will allocate at the beginning and only release when it quits. So, if you set it too high, you are wasting memory that can be used for other things. If you set it low, it will just allocate whatever memory it needs when it needs it and release it when it no longer needs it.

So, in theory, if you go too low, it does not hurt as it will allocate the needed memory anyway, but if you go too high, you get a performance hit.
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...