SSD, uncompressed HD, Vegas, Intensity at

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old February 26th, 2010, 04:17 AM   #1
Major Player
SSD, uncompressed HD, Vegas, Intensity

Preface: I donít mind RAID, I'm using it now in fact, but RAID arrays come with their own problems and Iíd like to try something new! Thanks!

I do commercials mostly. At the very most I get, 40-50 min of footage to edit.

I was wondering if anyone had any idea about using uncompressed 1080 24p 10bit HD on SSD hard drives.

My main concern is: Iíd like to use Blackmagic Designís Intensity card in Vegas. I know the card has trouble with various codecs under Vegas but from what Iíve heard it works quite well with uncompressed video in Vegas.

So :
Uncompressed 1080 24p 10bit HD, on an SSD, playing on Vegasí timeline out of the Intensity.

Anyone see any problems with this?
Mike Calla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2010, 01:15 PM   #2
Regular Crew
1. SSDs still are quite expensive. I have 2 80-gig Intels - one is first generation, the other is second generation. Intel G1 SSDs cost around $200 for the 80G size that I use; the G2 SSD cost me $230 a few months ago (Intel SSDs currently seem to be the champs). Uncompressed files are huge - especially 10-bit files; so you'd probably want to get much larger capacities than 80G.

2. The G2 SSD failed during a thunderstorm even though I run my computer from a UPS that always gets power from a battery, never directly from the power line. The G2 Intel SSDs have 34-nm traces - quite vulnerable because of their tiny size (Intel sent another with no hassle - 3-year warranty).

3. Some controllers can't see the SSD. Fortunately, my ASUS P5B had two controllers w/boot bios, and one of them could see the SSDs; so I was OK. I'm also pretty sure that my Gigabyte 8-port SATA controller also can see the SSDs (but it has no bios for boot - which you wouldn't need anyway).

4. You really should be using Win 7 with SSDs. Only Win7 has TRIM, which actually empties the cells of data after a file is deleted (earlier Windows versions merely mark the cells as "available"). If the cells are not emptied, the SSDs become much slower with use. Intel has a free utility that, if run at boot-up, will keep their SSDs in pretty good shape; but only if you're using Intel SSDs.

5. Write speeds diminish when the SSDs are nearing capacity. My G1 card currently has a read speed of 121 mb/s; my G2: 160+. However, the write speed of my G1 is about 60 mb/s, whereas the G2 now writes only at 40 mb/s - probably not fast enough for uncompressed 10-bit even at 24fps. My G1 now is faster than my G2 because it is almost empty, whereas the G2 is 70% full. For comparison, my 1.5 TB Seagates write at 36 mb/s - almost as fast as my G2 - without RAID.

You could get a pair of SSDs and put them into a RAID 0 configuration; but what for? SSDs are wonderful as boot disks - all my programs open about 5 times as fast as when I used spinning disks, and boot up time is reduce proportionately. But for capturing video? I don't think so.
Larry Reavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2010, 08:37 AM   #3
Major Player
Judging by the read times when the drive is closer to full than empty, i don't think it would be a viable solution for uncompressed at this time.

but if moore's law is any indication in one and half to 3 years time, SSD drives will be fast and cheap enough for short form uncompressed work. (also just read an article about the third gen SSDs, and how error correction is 3 million times better than last gen)

Looks like it's gonna be AJA/Vegas/Cineform again!
Mike Calla is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

Omega Broadcast
(512) 251-7778
Austin, TX

(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

(800) 238-8480
Glendale, CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...