Vegas 9 Plugs in Vegas 8? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 12th, 2010, 03:23 PM   #1
Major Player

Vegas 9 Plugs in Vegas 8?

Does anyone know if I can get the Vegas 9 plugin Fx to work in Vegas 8, like the Fill Light?
Old January 13th, 2010, 08:27 AM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

If you have both Vegas 8 and Vegas 9 installed, Vegas 8 should pick up the extra effects that Vegas 9 installs.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2010, 06:03 PM   #3
Tourist

Not for me, Ed. Plugins installed in versions 7 and 8 show up in 9, but the VelvetMatter plugin from 9 doesn't show up in the earlier Vegas versions.

I know you know Vegas inside and out - do you know if we could drag a file or .dll from 9 into earlier Vegas versions so we could have things working like they should?

It'd sure help me out. Thanks.
John Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2010, 07:37 AM   #4
Sponsor: JET DV

I had not actually checked Vegas 8 but, having now done so, I don't see them in Vegas Pro 8 either. I had just answered based on the general knowledge of how plugins work.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2010, 11:29 AM   #5
Trustee

Vegas 9 Plugs in Vegas 8

A lot of people have asked this question. To the best of my knowledge no they can't be run in V8 as they are coded into V9. Velvet Matter who made the Radiance plugin set have done a deal with Sony and they are now part and parcel of V9. In fact if you go to their site you can no longer purchase the plugins for V7 or V8 you just find a notice relating to the sell out to Sony. Those of us who purchased Radiance some years back can still get downloads and support from Velvet Matter though. The install authorization for the Radiance plugs was locked to a specific PC's CPU serial so you could only run them on the PC they were registered to. Overall I would suggest upgrading to 9.0c. It's cheaper to do than was buying the Radiance plugins. They also run better in V9 than they did in V8. Only note of warning is that V9.0c still has the same problem as V8 in rendering out long MXF HD files. Chews up ram and then hangs even with 12GB on board an i7. Purchase Cineform Neoscene to get around that MXF render problem and 9.0c is good to go... and you get the Radiance plugins.
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2010, 03:54 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Hm... I did an online upgrade to 9 - no radiance plugins.

Separate download? Particular bundle?
Old February 26th, 2010, 06:26 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Seth, part of 9.0 were the Glint, Rays, Defocus, Starburst, Soft Contrast, and Fill Light video FX.
Most (all??) of these were originally from Velvet Matter.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2010, 06:32 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Thanks Mike - Turns out I do have them! Silly me.

I'll do some playing around...

***edit***
whoowee, fun!
Nice organic efx, I think I might find regular use for "soft contrast" (it's much more than that...)

Thanks!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...