DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q1Q2) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/47511-vegas-video-discussions-2006-q1q2.html)

Chris Barcellos May 10th, 2006 10:06 AM

I was having a similar problem with Vegas Movie Studio, but also with HDV Split. No problem with the Premiere Pro capture. I upgraded to latest HD Split version (0.75, I think) and that all disappeared. Haven't really tried to resolve problem in Vegas capture as the others are working.

Edward Troxel May 10th, 2006 01:14 PM

Here's some tips:

1. Each computer should have a unique name
2. Your network needs a name
3. Make sure the DNS suffix name is the same on each computer

Daniel Melius May 10th, 2006 01:41 PM

Can audio only be captured in Vegas 5

I have a new notebook and DV Rack that I will be capturing video and audio with my one Sony VX2100. However, I have a very old Sony notebook that only has 10 gigs of storage space but was the first Sony notebook to give a fire wire port. I would like to capture only the audio (for backup and possable drop outs on the tape capture) from the other camera as I have like 7 2 hour concerts to film and would never be able to capture the video with that and not sure if that 350 MHZ ancient notebook would be able to keep up with the video as slow as it is. I do know that Adobe Premiere has an option to capture audio only but can only find the option to NOT capture audio for Sony Vegas 5.0. Is there an option in Sony Vegas to capture only the audio an to ignore the video. I can not use Adobe Premiere 1.5 because it will only install on Windows XP and the only systems I can install on that old Sony notebook is Windows 98 which it came with and Windows 2000 unless I bought yet another addition of Windows XP. I already have 4 Window XP's running on 4 different computers and do not want to buy another one under any circumstance.

I do have Sound Forge 7.0 proffessional but did not find an option in it to capure audio using a firewire connection connected to a camera.

Edward Troxel May 10th, 2006 01:51 PM

You can do audio only straight to the timeline using the analog inputs.

If you want to capture audio only via firewire, you might want to take a look at Scenalyzer Live.

Daniel Melius May 10th, 2006 01:57 PM

I was just coming back to add that when I saw your post. I can not use any of the analog connections from my cameras as they are connected to Sound Devices Mix pres. I have to use the camera's firewire connection to capture the audio.

Adobe does capture audio only just fine if you are running Windows XP via firewire. I am not sure why this option is not in Sony Vegas but it should be.

Edward Troxel May 10th, 2006 02:37 PM

It *may* not be because Vegas, by itself, is a multi-track recorder. It's MUCH more powerful than capturing firewire. However, that doesn't help in your situation.

Definitely take a look at Scenalyzer Live. It's very inexpensive, can capture audio only, and has many other interesting features.

Mitch Buss May 10th, 2006 03:19 PM

Capturing issue.

I'm trying to connect an Optura 20 to my PC and use Vegas 6 to capture. When I connect the camera via firewire, Windows make the *bing* recognize noise, but when the window asking what I want to do with the device comes up, there are no options in the window. Also, when I go to Vegas to capture, it says there is no device connected. I don't know what the issue is. I do not believe that it is the cable, since it connects to Windows. I need some help QUICKLY, time is short. Thanks.

Phil Hamilton May 10th, 2006 03:28 PM

I'll take a stab at this....

1) which version works? 5.0? ...go with the latest 6.0d

2) can hdv be edited natively in vegas with success? (I don't do a lot of fx)
...yes but slowly. Use the cineform intermediate and you should be able to work just fine.
3) which intermediary codecs work in vegas? What's the advantage to an intermediary codec? ...some like using intermediates from Gearshift etc. I use the cineform that comes with Vegas and so far so good....

4) why do they call it vegas anyway? ....hmmm what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas....

I'm sure others can weight in on this...

Jack Smith May 10th, 2006 10:16 PM

Not trying to change the intent of this thread but I didn't think Vegas5 would install to windows 98 either.

Daniel Melius May 10th, 2006 11:20 PM

I haven't tried it yet but I do have a licensed copy of Windows 2000 proffessional if it doesn't.

Dale Paterson May 11th, 2006 01:18 AM

Hi,

I do not want to rain on your parade BUT you need to have a look at this thread which I started:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=64559

Make sure that you read it in its entirety - especially the last one or two pages. I make this statement because the thread sort of 'changed direction' at some point but the main issue is the fact that synchronizing audio and video captured from two different sources (even two different cameras) over a long period i.e. in your case 2 hours (like mine) is problematic and I still have not found an automated working solution.

Vegas 5 will capture audio only - as many simultaneous audio tracks as you want!

I'm not sure if it will install and work on Windows '98 (the system requirements for Vegas 5 was - at least - Windows 2000). However - hazarding a guess - I would imagine that as long as you are able to install the required Microsoft software and drivers e.g. DirectX 9.0c and Microsoft .NET Framework it should work (but do not hold me to this). The best thing to do is just try to install it - if it does not work properly - uninstall it - the uninstall application works perfectly and does not leave 'stuff' hanging around after uninstallation. The software is exremely well written!

Regards,

Dale.

Peter Jefferson May 11th, 2006 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Melius
I have a new notebook and DV Rack that I will be capturing video and audio with my one Sony VX2100. However, I have a very old Sony notebook that only has 10 gigs of storage space but was the first Sony notebook to give a fire wire port. I would like to capture only the audio (for backup and possable drop outs on the tape capture) from the other camera as I have like 7 2 hour concerts to film and would never be able to capture the video with that and not sure if that 350 MHZ ancient notebook would be able to keep up with the video as slow as it is. I do know that Adobe Premiere has an option to capture audio only but can only find the option to NOT capture audio for Sony Vegas 5.0. Is there an option in Sony Vegas to capture only the audio an to ignore the video. I can not use Adobe Premiere 1.5 because it will only install on Windows XP and the only systems I can install on that old Sony notebook is Windows 98 which it came with and Windows 2000 unless I bought yet another addition of Windows XP. I already have 4 Window XP's running on 4 different computers and do not want to buy another one under any circumstance.

I do have Sound Forge 7.0 proffessional but did not find an option in it to capure audio using a firewire connection connected to a camera.

set your soudncard to record "what you hear" most have this feature and will record anytign that is fed throuh the mixer...

from here open up vidcap and Forge
Prepare new file @ 48khz stereo, set forge to record via remote (the remote panel will pop up).. and youll see Vidcap under it..
hit record on Forge remote.. it will blink blnk blink.. lol
now hit play on Vidcap.. (not record)
sit back and wait til capture is compete..

voila.. digital audio capture with no video.. If u go analogue, the SN ratio could be pretty ugly...

Oh, and this only works with full duplex soundcards though (ie record and playback at once)

good luck

Richard Bender May 11th, 2006 06:35 AM

Audio adjust question

When adjusting the audio with FX using nodes it all is great, however, if I move the time line the nodes do not move. There must be a way or I am doing something wrong. HELP

Edward Troxel May 11th, 2006 07:35 AM

Is "Lock Envelopes to Events" turned on?

Sean Seah May 11th, 2006 08:28 AM

yeah same here too. Since HDV spilt is workin fine I'll stick with that. I was considering connect HD but now, I guess I will put it on hold for the moment.