Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q1Q2) - Page 105 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old May 15th, 2006, 11:05 AM   #1561
Regular Crew

I had to load my Vegas 6 on a Dell B120 Inspiron once, which has lower specs overall than the unit you mentioned above, and I was surprised how well it performed... but, it was a small project I was working on...
Old May 15th, 2006, 01:00 PM   #1562
Trustee

Vegas vs PPro for HDV (XLH1)

I have to buy an NLE soon and need some advice. I am getting a system built which should be pretty good - similar to Boxx at $6800 but built locally for under 5k.

I plan on using the Cineform intermediate either Aspect or Connect HD. I tried the trial of Vegas 6 and liked it for SDV. What I really want is easy to use glitch/bug free editing (as much as that is possible). I am primarily a shooter so I want ease of use without dimnished performance with HDV. I have a couple of guys locally who I can bring in to edit but neither have worked with HDV. One uses Vegas and one uses PPro.

Most output will be to DVD or for TV broadcast. Edits to be relatively simple. I have always thought PPro to be a higher standard but have studied Vegas and would expect it to sufficient for my needs.

One of the major reasons I would go to Vegas is the support here by John Rofrano, DSE, David Jimmerson et al.

Can Vegas give me relatively smooth post while providing 'pro' quality edits/graphics in HDV???

All feedback appreciated.

Ken.
Old May 15th, 2006, 02:05 PM   #1563
Inner Circle

Soft Focus / Glows in Vegas with 1 layer

An interesting way to use the unsharp mask filter:

Amount = -0.500 (values between 0 and -1 work); unfortunately the slider doesn't work with negative values.
Radius = 0.027
Threshold = 0.000 (non-zero values risk banding/artifacting)

This will give a soft focus effect, without having to do 2 layers. The look is different than glow, or duplicating a layer onto itself with the top layer at 50% opacity and guassian blur applied.

All three methods give different looks.
Old May 15th, 2006, 02:17 PM   #1564

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Diewert

Can Vegas give me relatively smooth post while providing 'pro' quality edits/graphics in HDV???

All feedback appreciated.

Ken.
Yes, Vegas can/will provide smooth playback via an HDI (which you should always use for HDV) and will provide crisp output for broadcast, whether SD or HD. Premiere Pro 2.0 is a good tool too, but it really needs the hardware assist to be up to its best game. Slightly higher learning curve, significantly slower color correction and compositing tools, but very respectable as an NLE these days. Nowhere near like legacy versions, this latest is nice. However, I'm very partial to Vegas.
Welcome to the forum, hope to see you around often!
http://www.vasst.com
Old May 15th, 2006, 04:55 PM   #1565
Old Boot

Yeah . .thanks Glenn. I was missing out on the Radius value. Excellent! Been playing with all sorts of negatives in others too.

Grazie
Old May 15th, 2006, 06:24 PM   #1566
Trustee

Hey, I got the answer. Thanks to Douglas Spotted Eagle. "Vegas 6 editing workshop". Page 201. Bob
Old May 15th, 2006, 06:30 PM   #1567
Regular Crew

thanks Lars

Glad I'm not crazy for thinking that...
Old May 16th, 2006, 04:19 AM   #1568
Regular Crew

Re-installing Vegas will definetly help. But be aware that the it takes quite some time to convert from .m2t to .avi with the internal codec.

Greetings

Richard
Old May 16th, 2006, 09:00 AM   #1569
Trustee

All audio tracks suddenly lower in pitch

I have managed to mess up the sound and I do not know how. The length of the tracks seems to have stayed the same, but the pitch is decreased.
Old May 16th, 2006, 09:38 AM   #1570
Trustee

Problem solved: the m-Audio ASIO driver was acting up. Using the Audio Devices tab, I switched to another driver and back to solve the problem. I hope this helps someone!
Old May 16th, 2006, 01:00 PM   #1571
Regular Crew

Video/Audio Playback

This is a two part question, first of all, I am using a Sony DVMC-DA2 analog converter to import analog video into vegas 6. It is imported via firewire and it works great, however, wanted to try using my TV as an external monitor for preview and I managed to get the picture to play through it, but not the sound, is there any way to get the sound to come through the TV as well. On a side note, is there any way to get videos on my computer to play through the convereter, on to my TV without using Vegas at all. This has nothing to do with editing, just for watching movies.

Secondly, I have a lot of downloaded videos on my computer that I have tried to import into Vegas, but only the audio appears and no video, sometime neither. Does anyone know where to get codecs to help eliminate this problem. Thanks again.
Old May 16th, 2006, 01:38 PM   #1572
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch Buss
...I am using a Sony DVMC-DA2 analog converter to import analog video into vegas 6. ...I managed to get the picture to play through it, but not the sound, is there any way to get the sound to come through the TV as well. On a side note, is there any way to get videos on my computer to play through the convereter, on to my TV without using Vegas at all. This has nothing to do with editing, just for watching movies.
No. Sound will be monitored through your computer's sound card in this setup, that's the way Vegas does it.

You'd need some application to watch movies through your fw converter, I'm not aware of any, but I suppose it's possible.
Old May 16th, 2006, 01:38 PM   #1573
Sponsor: JET DV

Quote:
however, wanted to try using my TV as an external monitor for preview and I managed to get the picture to play through it, but not the sound, is there any way to get the sound to come through the TV as well. On a side note, is there any way to get videos on my computer to play through the convereter, on to my TV without using Vegas at all. This has nothing to do with editing, just for watching movies.
This is normal. The sound comes from your computer speakers and the video goes to the external monitor. If you insist on the sound coming from the monitor, run a wire from the computer output to the monitor input.

When you do a print to tape, both video and audio go via firewire.

Quote:
Secondly, I have a lot of downloaded videos on my computer that I have tried to import into Vegas, but only the audio appears and no video, sometime neither. Does anyone know where to get codecs to help eliminate this problem.
You need to figure out WHAT codec you need and then search for that codec. You might try a program like GSpot to determine that information.
Old May 17th, 2006, 12:07 PM   #1574
Trustee

Its all about the ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takis Takop
do you think that a notebook (toshiba satellite m70-113) with these specs is good enough for vegas;

PentiumM 750 (1.86GHz,533Mhz FSB,2MB L2), 512MB DDR2, 80 GB 5400 rpm, 15.4" Trubrite WXGA (1280x800), ATI Mobility™ Radeon® X700, 128 MB DDR RAM, DVD Super Multi (Double Layer) drive

Remember that Vegas is all abotu the RAM and CPU in order to have decent quality previews. Add on too many layers, color correction, effects, etc and almost any system gets slowed down to a crawl. I would suggest more RAM by at least 1GB. 512 will get the job down, but will add to the time needed to load a complex project.

jason
Old May 17th, 2006, 01:48 PM   #1575
Regular Crew

Preview Monitor

I have Vegas set up for my 61" Samsung DLP to be my preview monitor. It works great. Is there any way to do this with DVDA? The only preview I can do is with the preview control and it opens up windows media player. I suppose I can drag it to the other screen but I didn't know if it does it automatically like Vegas.

Jeff
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...