Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q1Q2) - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old January 5th, 2006, 02:04 PM   #61
Jubal 28

You can render them out from a 24p Vegas timeline with a DVD Architect 24p template.

Then, you can make a 24p DVD with DVDA.
Old January 6th, 2006, 05:55 AM   #62
Major Player

gain level: rendering mono to stereo audio files in Vegas

This time a more theoretical question on audio gain levels in Vegas (5d):

When I render a mono Audio test signal (1 kHz) with a constant gain of -0.1 db (almost clipping) to a stereo audio file, each if the two resulting channels show the same (i.e. unaltered!) gain of -0,1 dB.

Doing the same in Digidesign ProTools they will have only -3.1 dB each, so each channel has been decreased by 3 dB.

Which gain level is "correct"?
Is there any audio specification to this?

Last edited by Michael Mann; January 6th, 2006 at 08:47 AM.
Old January 6th, 2006, 09:07 AM   #63
Major Player

Smartrendering PCM AUDIO files in Vegas

And another one:
Does Vegas smartrender unaltered PCM audio files? It should, but audio properties - unlike video properties - does not give an answer.
Old January 6th, 2006, 11:40 AM   #64
Regular Crew

Re-sample or reduce interlace flicker?

OK, in my rendered project a 3-D title with motion looks quite stuttery, not too smooth, and the edges are not smooth. It was rendered as an avi from Bluff titler and added to the project. Which should I use and will it help much, or should I have done something else.
Thanks in advance,
Colin Rayner
Old January 6th, 2006, 12:36 PM   #65
Regular Crew

Capturing Live Video and (Separate) Audio

Hey Guys,

I have no problem capturing live video, but I would like to learn more about capturing live multi-track audio. I plan to shoot a few music concerts this summer/fall and I would like to be able to record at least 8 tracks at a time. I recently purchased the Mackie Onyx 1212 mixer with firewire card (will receive on Tues.) to interface with my laptop or desktop. I have a few questions:

1. Has anyone used a Mackie Onyx series mixer with Vegas? If so, how compatible is this hardware with Vegas?

2. Can I capture live video and perform a live multi-track recording at the same time in Vegas (on the same computer)?

3. (After thought) Would I have been better off getting and Echo Layla 3G?Fire 8 and combine this with a 12-16 Channel analog mixer? BTW I don't plan to do surround sound at this time (maybe in the future).

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Old January 6th, 2006, 05:49 PM   #66
Regular Crew

I don't have experience with the setup that you have. However, I have used an ADAT for multitrack archival recording of live performances (musical theater) with good results.

The ADAT is patched into a 24 channel mixer. Usually I will use 16-20 channels. Performers are using wireless lavs. Pit orchestra is using wired balanced lines.

I'll record each lead on a separate track and record the rest of the performers mixed down to one or two tracks. For the pit I'll record the lead piano on one track and mixdown the rest of the pit to a separate track.

In post I can dump all eight tracks simultaneously to my computer using an optical connection from the ADAT to a EMU 1818 sound card. I will import all eight tracks into Cubase or Premiere and mixdown the tracks to one master track for the video.

I then will sync the video to the mixed down master audio track in Premiere. Even for a one hour tape (actually 57 minutes) there is no drift between the audio and video once synced.

Hope this helps,
Barry Oppenheim
Old January 7th, 2006, 04:14 PM   #67
Inner Circle

Vegas 1080p60 WMV Dual-core decode test...

All you guys with a Dual-Core PC, this will definitily test your computer to see if it stacks up to what it promises. Watch the video, Encoded in 1080p60, and if the transision between the blue lines is smooth, then no frames were dropped! The video was made with Vegas so don't move this thread.

note: Ignore the text on screen and the slight video game screenshot, all you guys are focused on is seeing if your Dual-core computer drops frames in 1080p60.

http://www.filelodge.com/files/hdd3/...itialsetup.wmv

Edit: I don't mean for you to play the video in Vegas to test performance, I just want you to play the video in Windows Media Player.
Old January 7th, 2006, 11:22 PM   #68
Inner Circle

ok heres my setup on this machine..

albatron mobo ,
LGA 775 P4 extreme with 800mhz fsb, 2mb cache
1 gb corsair DDR ram at 400mhz
Radeon 9000 pro

ran smooth as silk while rendering an AC3 file
also had another instance of Vegas open (i edit while i render) as well as this thread..
so for a single HT cpu, it works fine..
Oh and i downloaded teh file to C drive, not one of my 7 media drives.. lol

BUT what i wanna know is where the hell did u get the playstation 3 from??
Old January 7th, 2006, 11:51 PM   #69
Inner Circle

It's a simulation created by Vegas. I didn't actually capture via HDMI.
Old January 8th, 2006, 08:25 AM   #70

There an option in vegas to disable DV device control, make sure this is unchecked and it might work manually.

Old January 8th, 2006, 01:38 PM   #71
Major Player

DVDA & motion blur problem...

Just finished a 1st birthday project which incorporated lots of stills and video (ala minidisks from a Sony dvd camcorder). Everything looks perfect until I author it all with DVDArch 3.0c. Then I get a motion blur/flicker kind of effect on just a few of the mpg2 movies. Checked the info on the ones with problems, they are all interlaced (kept them that way) mpg2 files that seem completely compatible. Except for these few vids, the project is perfect. Any ideas at all? Thanks.
Vin
Old January 8th, 2006, 02:23 PM   #72
Major Player

find the clips in explorer and right click on them and play media or play in WMP do they look ok? if so try deleting them from the DVDA project then re enter them and render and burn over again

Vince
Old January 8th, 2006, 05:31 PM   #73

Field order is probably the wrong way around for those files.. You wont notice this on a PC screen only a TV screen.

Old January 8th, 2006, 06:10 PM   #74
Trustee

Lift just the shadows

What would be the best way to lighten shadows
that are too dark, without brightening the
highs and mids?
Old January 8th, 2006, 06:16 PM   #75
Inner Circle

Many ways to do it.
Probably the best way is to use the color curves, and make a little 'bump' at the bottom.

Add a tangent point about a quarter of the way from the bottom. Do this by double clicking on the line.
Click on the tangent point to select it. Hit the up key on your keyboard to make the bump.
Play around with the handles to keep highs and mids at the same brightness.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...