Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q1Q2) - Page 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old January 11th, 2006, 08:39 PM   #121
Sponsor: JET DV

Ahhh... now I see:

Use the techniques talked about in Vol 3 #1 of my newsletters (Ways to Split Screen which is, essentially, what you are doing) and Vol 2 #5 (Text Compositing Reprised which is the same basic idea - white logo on transparent background instead of a text generated media)
Old January 11th, 2006, 08:41 PM   #122

It is quite possible that you might have to right-click the title event, choose Properties, go to the second tab, and change the alpha mode. It's been a while since I've done it.
Old January 11th, 2006, 08:45 PM   #123

The technique for getting text inside the text is described in Vol 2 #5 of my newsletters. Quickly, you can just put the text on track 1, the video to appear inside the letters on track 2, and then change the mode of Track 1 to "Multiply (Mask)". If you put more video on a track below, that will appear outside the letters.
Old January 11th, 2006, 09:42 PM   #124
Tourist

Vegas6.0c to DVDA quality loss

I rendered a 15 min. montage in Vegas6. Playback in Vegas is fine. Playback of MPEG2 through Windows Media Player is fine. Load the file into DVDA and the images in the montage are slightly out of focus. Just enough to become unacceptable. Any suggestions?
Old January 11th, 2006, 11:56 PM   #125
Inner Circle

Ultimate S photo montage

Anyone know where to find the DSE downloadable video tutorial that shows how to place markers in the Vegas timeline to time photo transitions using the spacebar and hitting it to the beat of the music?

Please disregard this careless post...I figured out how to place markers....thank you
Old January 12th, 2006, 12:35 AM   #126
Slash Rules!

one channel stereo in VEgas or Sound Forge

This sounds stupid to me, but here's what I wanna do--

I wanna take a stereo audio file, and kill one of the channels. I don't want it to be mono, I still want it to be stereo, but with either the left or right channel blank. For some reason, I can't figure out how to do this in Vegas or Sound Forge.

I have been requested to do this for voice over purposes, so if it sounds inane, that's why I'm trying to do this. Trust me, this is the way the guy wants it, so that's set in stone.
Old January 12th, 2006, 01:50 AM   #127
Regular Crew

Sean/Edward,

I am also working on putting together a clip that features text burning. However, the flames need to "emit" from the surface of the text and then grow wider and larger than the text characters. I would like to use stock footage of fire from Artbeats or the like as most of the generated stuff looks fairly poor, but I am having difficulty in determining how to composite the source footage with the text. In reality, Vegas may not be the right tool. If not, what is?

Lance Spratt
Old January 12th, 2006, 03:03 AM   #128
Trustee

Blufftitler has an option which isnt really wat I'm looking for but u sound like u r attempting to just that. Check it out :)
Old January 12th, 2006, 10:07 AM   #129

How about if you right-click the audio, choose "Combine" for the type, and then pan it left or right? This would give you BOTH channels on either the left or the right with the other channel blank.
Old January 12th, 2006, 10:30 AM   #130
Tourist

Problem Solved, I think.

Project burned out of DVDA just fine. Still don't quit understand why, when viewing/editing projects in DVDA mainframe, image quality appears less than that of Vegas quality? Being a Newbee, it's probably something silly that I have overlooked.
Old January 12th, 2006, 10:30 AM   #131
Tourist

Problem Solved, I think.

Project burned out of DVDA just fine. Still don't quit understand why, when viewing/editing projects in DVDA mainframe, image quality appears less than that of Vegas quality? Being a Newbee, it's probably something silly that I have overlooked.
Old January 12th, 2006, 11:35 AM   #132
Slash Rules!

Ok, gotcha.

And render it back out as stereo. Brilliant! Thanks.
Old January 12th, 2006, 11:45 AM   #133
Inner Circle

Previews in both Vegas 5 or 6 and DVDA 2 and 3 do leave something to be desired. I have found the best way to preview is thru an EXTERNAL monitor either NTSC or even a small TV. Pass thru FW to the monitor or TV and use the PREVIEW ON EXTERNAL MONITOR button. Part of it is framerate and part is just the look of MPEG on a computer screen. Once you've rendered to MPEG 99 times out of 100 the project will look just fine once burned to DVD.
Don
Old January 12th, 2006, 12:50 PM   #134
Major Player

Editing via an external drive...

Here's a question for "da pros"

I'll be purchasing a laptop for on-the-go editing during free time at work, etc.

I figured I'd place captured files on an external FW hdd.

If I'm editing on the laptop and then get home and do more editing, or adding effects, on the desktop can I simply transfer the veg files over to the desktop and continue editing as long as the external hdd has the same drive name on both machines? (ie: drive E: video work)

Thanks for your input.

sincerely,

ian
Old January 12th, 2006, 01:05 PM   #135
Major Player

Hi Ian

I use Adobe Premiere Pro and load all my projects onto external hard drives, usually on my laptop... as long as all the project files are on the external drive it shouldn't be a problem.

I often do what you're suggesting.. simply plugging in the hard drive via the USB ports. It's a simple job to link media in Prem and edit on the desk top...

Regards
Gareth
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...