Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q1Q2) - Page 110 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old May 22nd, 2006, 08:23 PM   #1636
Sponsor: JET DV

NOTE: some people have lost some of the default effects when uninstalling Vegas 5. If this happens, first try reinstalling Vegas 6 and if they're still gone reinstall Vegas 5.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 09:08 PM   #1637
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Foronda
After many attempts to get the supplied CF codec to work and Vegas was not operating correctly I had re-booted my computer. Vegas 6 software (CD) is not able to install anymore. Anyone knows whats going on? I will try tech support but they're closed at the moment.

Thanks
Is you're computer a little older? vegas 6 won't install on older computers sometimes., I had to use vegas 5.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 09:32 PM   #1638
Regular Crew

Thanks, I had forgot of that alternative.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 09:44 PM   #1639
Major Player

Nope, I previously had it up and running until I added the Connect HD trial verison. When it expried thats when I started to have problems. Thats why I rebooted my computer.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 10:03 PM   #1640
Regular Crew

So Let Me Get This Straight

I'm new to HDV, via the A1U. I've been using Vegas since version 2, I believe. So let me get this straight:

In order to edit realistically in Vegas with HD footage, you have to render it down to DV. Then after you edit, you have to render again. But there' s no real point in rendering to HDV, because there's no real mechanism for delivery.

Am I understanding this correctly?

What's the difference between doing the conversion in Vegas and doing the conversion in the A1U during output/capture?
Old May 22nd, 2006, 10:07 PM   #1641

Conversion in-camera:
You can never recapture frame accurately to have an HD master. YOu can only ever have an SD master.

Conversion in Vegas:
you can have an HD master, SD master, HDV master.

The rest is debatable. Although it takes longer, I prefer to convert in Vegas.
http://www.vasst.com
Old May 22nd, 2006, 10:18 PM   #1642
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Gregory-Browne
I'm new to HDV, via the A1U. I've been using Vegas since version 2, I believe. So let me get this straight:

In order to edit realistically in Vegas with HD footage, you have to render it down to DV. Then after you edit, you have to render again. But there' s no real point in rendering to HDV, because there's no real mechanism for delivery.

Am I understanding this correctly?

What's the difference between doing the conversion in Vegas and doing the conversion in the A1U during output/capture?
Basically...SD is now pretty much the only delivery opton, but with viable HD delivery options in the near future it is good to have an HD back up. You are actually not rendering the video to dv (atleast I don't believe) in vegas. You would use an intermediate codec which is similar to a layer in photoshop. You can then edit the video without degrading as much as you would by rendering the HD to DV. You then, from there, can go back to tape as HD or render to SD for DVD purposes (or for computer, etc..)
Old May 22nd, 2006, 10:21 PM   #1643
Regular Crew

If it is a ConnectHD issue you should uninstall, which I am sure you have done. You also may need to get rid of the registry entries that are left behind which I will not get into since there is a risk involved with this. I just recently reinstalled Sony 6 without issue and had a trial version of ConnectHD onboard. What is the exact error you are getting?
Old May 22nd, 2006, 11:28 PM   #1644
Regular Crew

Okay so what stops me from doing the following:

1. Do the conversion in camera during capture.

2. Edit in Vegas.

3. Render as needed in SD.

4. If and when I need an HD version in the future, simply recapture the original footage in HD and replace all the SD footage with the HD footage in the Media bin.

5. Render to HD.

I'm not sure I understand why this wouldn't work.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 11:29 PM   #1645
Major Player

I load the cd and the intro vegas screen pops up along with the funky music in the background with the selections. I click on install vegas there a very long pause then an error comes up and reads: "Set up.exe Application error. The application failed to initialize properly (0XC0000006.)" That don't look so good. Should I reboot again?? This is so time consuming spent all day trying to figure this out.

Last edited by Fred Foronda; May 23rd, 2006 at 12:21 AM.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 06:48 AM   #1646
Trustee

You were right John, Gearshift does force the files to be placed in the same folder. Silly me must have rendered both the DV proxy n CF files together is a different folder, den deleted the CF n tested if I could swap to m2t. Its working fine. Now to find out my other question on FX1 converted DV before I make a conclusion. Thanks again for the quick support!
Old May 23rd, 2006, 06:50 AM   #1647
Trustee

Oh yeah.. thaz a good tip I forgot. Anyway. I cant tell because my mini preview window at the lower corner doesnt have the 2 black bars when I have a m2t or Cf files on the time line, just like DV-PAL. Thaz why I cant tell the difference. I'm not sure if there is something wrong with the preview screen.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 07:51 AM   #1648
Regular Crew

Quote:
Okay so what stops me from doing the following:

1. Do the conversion in camera during capture.

2. Edit in Vegas.

3. Render as needed in SD.

4. If and when I need an HD version in the future, simply recapture the original footage in HD and replace all the SD footage with the HD footage in the Media bin.

5. Render to HD.

I'm not sure I understand why this wouldn't work.
Nothing that I can see. Many will say you get better results letting vegas do the conversion but many say they do not see a difference. Not sure about any editing you may do from the start though. If you had a lot of editing you may want to put it back on tape afterwards rather than redo everything. The experienced on here can give you the advantages and disadvantages.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 07:53 AM   #1649

Quote:

the lack of frame-accurate recapture would prevent you from accomplishing this at this time.
http://www.vasst.com
Old May 23rd, 2006, 08:43 AM   #1650
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
the lack of frame-accurate recapture would prevent you from accomplishing this at this time.
Ahh. Now that makes sense.

Maybe this will all be moot in a year or two when the computers have caught up to HD.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...