Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q1Q2) - Page 135 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old June 26th, 2006, 09:19 AM   #2011
Trustee

I doubt it is going to be worth your time.
Old June 26th, 2006, 09:33 AM   #2012
Major Player

I have to agree with Emre. You are much better off--both from a time perspective as well as effectiveness perspective--doing this optically when you shoot.
Old June 26th, 2006, 09:52 AM   #2013
Inner Circle

Thanks for the replies - AC3 it is, thanks for clearing that up!

I've used Vegas to render PAL from an NTSC timeline. I'm able to check burned discs w/DVD playback software on a computer, that's about it, but the sw reports it as PAL and it looks good. And no complaints (yet)!

It seems my customers have no idea about what their TVs do and don't do. I have seen one of my NTSC DVDs played in Turkey, scaling was a little off and it played back in B&W. So it seems worth it to render PAL.

Again, thanks!
Old June 26th, 2006, 11:30 AM   #2014
Regular Crew

Striped Shirts!

I'm sure everyone has seen this problem in movies and tv. Tony Soprano puts on a black and white finely striped shirt and on screen is attacked by a force field of red green and blue. I've always assumed this was because my non-HD tv couldn't handle the interlaced information of this pattern, but now I'm editing a project in Vegas (not too fancy, a speaker about 4 feet away from the camera, static angle throughout, shot on miniDV with a consumer 3CCD Panasonic, but shot in front of a green screen) and I'm faced with this same problem.

I've tried applying a bezier mask over the general area of the shirt with seperate chroma keys applied to the mask to remove the offending colours in between the lines, which has tamed the issue a little but pretty much been replaced with less offending colours.

I realize using chroma key in the first place aggravates the situation, but it's necessary that I use green screen in my projects.

I'm wondering if anybody's had experience dealing with this problem and could provide some insights into the background issues and/or possible solutions.
Old June 26th, 2006, 11:41 AM   #2015
Major Player

The issue can start with the CCD(s) in your camera.
Even the slightest micron or two of misalignement can result in these patterns when the real life texture is both high-contrast, and finer than the CCD resolution.

A subtle blur of your chroma data (sometimes as little as .5 pixels) can often soften this out. If you keep luma untouched, the image will still look sharp.

What software are you using for your keying work?
Old June 26th, 2006, 12:05 PM   #2016
Inner Circle

You may be seeing both of these effects:

A- False color / aliasing from your camera's CCDs. The Panasonic camera probably uses pixel shifting, which means the CCDs are slightly offset (i.e. intentionally misaligned) from each other. This gives you higher resolution, at the cost of higher aliasing / false colors like what you're seeing.

B- Cross color artifacts - When you have composite-encoded video, the luma and chroma are mixed into one signal. When your receiver tries to decode the signal, it can get luma information confused with chroma information. This generally happens when you have fine / high-frequency detail.

2- The easy way out for A is to change the wardrobe. Avoid fine detail in the shirt that causes the false colors.
Old June 26th, 2006, 12:30 PM   #2017
Regular Crew

!! FINAL REMINDER !!:

The Washington Baltimore Vegas User Group (WBVUG) meeting is THIS WEEK on Thursday, June 29th.

For an agenda, location and directions please go to:

http://www.oicproductions.net/wbvugm.html

Also, if you plan on attending, please let us know!

We look forward to seeing you there!

Thanks!

Mickey Grackin
mgrackin@oicproductions.net[/QUOTE]
Old June 26th, 2006, 12:40 PM   #2018
Regular Crew

Got it. Thanks so much.
Old June 26th, 2006, 12:48 PM   #2019
New Boot

help converting frame rates.

Hi all,
I have alot of footage shot with the Canon GL-1 in frame mode 29.97.
as well as alot of newer footage shot on the XL2 in 24p.. how can I convert all the GL1 footage to 24p in vegas?
I have also noticed that when I capture footage from the XL2 that is at 24p, it says that it captured at wierd frame rates like.. 28.96 or somthing other than 24p.. my footage seems to play back ok.. just curious to why this is.
any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, -Ryan King
Old June 26th, 2006, 02:43 PM   #2020
Regular Crew

Vegas Filter or Plugin Effects?

Hi. Does anyone know if Vegas has any plugins or workaround to simulate/mimic any of these effects from Digital Film Labs? I've been playing around with the effects in Vegas, but can't find one that gets close (or perhaps I'm just missing it).

Star: http://www.digitalfilmtools.com/55mm/Star.htm
Streak: http://www.digitalfilmtools.com/55mm/Streaks.htm

I could go the After Effects route, but I hate moving between programs.
Old June 26th, 2006, 03:19 PM   #2021

Richard Kim's Star can do this, www.velvetmatter.com
http://www.vasst.com
Old June 26th, 2006, 04:01 PM   #2022
Major Player

Just change the template in your project properties window (under FILE menu) to "NTSC DV 24p (720x480, 23.976 fps)." If you're already in a 24p timeline, just drop in your 60i footage. Then use the NTSC 24p preset when you render, inserting either 2-3 or 2-3-3-2 pulldown, depending on your final output needs. Search the forums if you're not sure which to use.

As for your second issue, sometimes Vegas' "average frame rate" statistic is a little off in the post-capture window. Just ignore that. What it looks like to me is that you shot 24p with 2-3 pulldown (which will show up in a 60i timeline as being 60i even though it wasn't shot that way), and the average capture rate was thrown off by irregular bits of data somewhere on the tape. Anyway, sounds like the footage is fine.

For future reference, you'll get better results in converting your GL1 footage to 24p if you turn the frame mode off. See this thread: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=70260
Old June 26th, 2006, 04:04 PM   #2023
Regular Crew

Wow thanks a lot you guys that was very helpful. I've tried messing with the blur settings in the chroma keyer like you said and it didn't make much difference unfortunately. I'm using Vegas 6 for everything, specifically the chroma keyer video effects plugin.
Old June 26th, 2006, 04:27 PM   #2024
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrod Whaley
Just change the template in your project properties window (under FILE menu) to "NTSC DV 24p (720x480, 23.976 fps)." If you're already in a 24p timeline, just drop in your 60i footage. Then use the NTSC 24p preset when you render, inserting either 2-3 or 2-3-3-2 pulldown, depending on your final output needs. Search the forums if you're not sure which to use.

As for your second issue, sometimes Vegas' "average frame rate" statistic is a little off in the post-capture window. Just ignore that. What it looks like to me is that you shot 24p with 2-3 pulldown (which will show up in a 60i timeline as being 60i even though it wasn't shot that way), and the average capture rate was thrown off by irregular bits of data somewhere on the tape. Anyway, sounds like the footage is fine.

For future reference, you'll get better results in converting your GL1 footage to 24p if you turn the frame mode off. See this thread: http://<br /> http://www.dvinfo.net...ad.php?t=70260
Thanks.. now will my project be effected if I have both the real 24p footage and the gl1 footage on the same timeline and render at once?
Old June 26th, 2006, 04:32 PM   #2025
Capt. Quirk

Also avoid bright red. Or checks and patterns. And ocra, but that is a different story.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...