Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q1Q2) - Page 45 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old March 6th, 2006, 02:18 PM   #661
Major Player

Yeah Vegas6c definately has scene detection...

I am sure it has carried over to Vegas6d

FYI: That includes... Corpus Christi, Galveston, Houston, Beaumont/ Lake Charles, Lafayette, Baton Rouge, New Orleans, Biloxi, Mobile, Penscola, Ft. Walton, Panama City... Any every little city and town in between.

If you need anything, Let's talk...
Old March 6th, 2006, 06:52 PM   #662
Tourist

DVDA 3 and Sony DRU-500a Burning Problem

When I attempt to burn a dvd the Burning stops and I get a message that there is a IOCTL error. I have the latest firmware (2.1a) and the drive works fine with Ulead DVD Movie Factory as well as Roxio Media Creator. Any suggestions.
Old March 7th, 2006, 12:07 AM   #663
Regular Crew

Increasing & Decreasing Audio in Vegas 5

I am overlaying a separate music track on top of a narrative in Vegas 5. I'd like to bring the volume up when the narrator pauses, and then back down again when the narration resumes. Is there an enveloping feature that allows me to set points on the audio to fade up and down? There must be a simple process to this, but I can't figure how to do it.
Old March 7th, 2006, 01:42 AM   #664
Wrangler

You'll think about smacking your forehead when you read this, Brandon! :)

Just highlight the track, click on Insert and select Audio Envelopes > Volume. It'll give you the blue line all ready for you to set your points!
Old March 7th, 2006, 01:56 AM   #665
Regular Crew

Internal Capture has no Scene Detection

Brent and Chris - If you're referring to the Vegas external capture utility, then there is scene detection, but this capture does not work with HDV (a tragedy). I have looked again since your posts and cannot find any type of scene detection for the internal Vegas utility which is the only one that works with an HDV camera. DSE's post should be referring to Scene Detection in the non-HDV capture utility, because as Ed Troxel also points out on Jan 3, "Vegas' capture does not have scene detect for HDV at this time." (http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=57327)

In any case, if you find an option for Scene Detection in the internal capture utility, I'd like to know exactly how you go about choosing that option. Beyond Scene Detection, I feel a lot more peace knowing that there is a 'dropped frames' counter in SplitHDV. Sony should have added HDV capability to the external utility, or at a minimum added these features to the internal utility, but I see no way to capture HDV footage and use Scene Detection (or check dropped frames) in Vegas 6c or 6d.

For Related Discussions:
http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/for...ssageID=420732
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=54446
Old March 7th, 2006, 03:01 AM   #666
Regular Crew

Shawn is correct, the Vegas internal capture for HDV does not have scene detection.
Old March 7th, 2006, 06:00 AM   #667
Major Player

Which folder to plug-ins go in?

OK, I've been editing with Vegas since it was called something else and owned by someone else, but I've got to admit, I'm as lost as last year's Easter eggs when it comes to placement of the plug-ins that are available for Vegas.

Based on some links here and in the Sony Vegas forum, I downloaded Wax, and several other plug-ins. Some are VST plug-ins for Audio and some are video transition plug-ins and some are video effect plug-ins. I've got them scattered all over my Programs folder and only about half are in the right place I think. And then there is the whole Presets thing; where are they supposed to be? I know where I have them, but none of these things self-install so when I unzip them and put them away, I'm just guessing what the organization should be.

Has DSE, Edward, Johnny, or anyone else written a tutorial about plug-in and preset management?
Old March 7th, 2006, 07:09 AM   #668
Regular Crew

Thanks Lorinda,

You're right. How simple!

Thanks
Old March 7th, 2006, 08:01 AM   #669

Brandon, if you have a lot of this to do, both Excalibur and Ultimate S have voice over tools thatwill totally automate the process, inserting "ducks" in the music whereever the voice is.
Additionally, if you wanted to get really fancy but with slightly less control, you could route both dialog and music to a bus, and use a compressor triggered by the voice, that would then lower the music. Envelopes are the easiest/accurate, but putting them in manually is the most time consuming.
http://www.vasst.com
Old March 7th, 2006, 09:42 AM   #670
Regular Crew

If you have a lot of these "music ducks" to do and don't have Excalibur or Ultimate S, an easy way to get an initial rough draft of the volume envelope is to automate it. Then when you adjust the levels as you play, Vegas automatically adds points to the envelope. You can manually clean it up later.
Old March 7th, 2006, 10:45 AM   #671
Inner Circle

Wow. Bummer. Must create some kind of problem with .m2t interpolation. Now I am curious about PPro 2.0. Does any one know if it has it. So far I've just been capturing using logged clips in PPro 2.0. I will check it out this evening.
Old March 7th, 2006, 11:44 AM   #672
Sponsor: JET DV

For Video Effects and Video Transitions, they should simply appear on the Effects and Transitions tabs in Vegas.

For Audio Effects that are VST, you may have to point Vegas to the proper location. Vegas looks in c:\program files\vstplugins by default but you can also specify a couple of alternate locations.
Old March 7th, 2006, 12:28 PM   #673
Jubal 28

I'll second the on-the-fly automation solution Brian mentions. For a tactile-experience guy like me, it works the best -- it's kind of like drawing with sound.
Old March 7th, 2006, 01:44 PM   #674
Regular Crew

Can you stop and start the capture manually selecting clips....ie: only capturing what you want rather than the whole tape with Vegas 6d? Would this work as a poor man's scene detection with HD?
Old March 7th, 2006, 02:10 PM   #675
Regular Crew

Sure, you could do that.
You could also use the HDV split utility (topic of this thread) to capture, then edit with Vegas.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...