DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   TimeCode project numbering (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/477679-timecode-project-numbering.html)

Geoff Jak April 26th, 2010 07:44 PM

TimeCode project numbering

Hi...I am producing 6 programs for a client with all programs having an interlocking theme. So when I show then a draft of, say, videos 1 and 6, neither have a timecode that represents the video production number it is. They only have timecode from 00.00.00.

Is there a way to drop in a production number at the head of the TC, just as you do when shooting on location, ie, when say, tape 2 goes in you set up the timecode to start at 2, then 3 etc.
I'm on Vegas 9 but have 8 as well. thx

Seth Bloombaum April 26th, 2010 11:27 PM

Yes.

Let's say you're on the timeline for project 6. Park the cursor somewhere, perhaps the start of show, or the start of the timeline, or the start of colorbars - whatever.

Select Options | Ruler Format | Set Time at Cursor, then type in something like 6.00.00.00 <enter>.

That's it!

This submenu is also available by right-clicking the timecode display.

Geoff Jak April 27th, 2010 12:31 AM

Agh!- my fault. I havent been explanatory enough - i should have said -TimeCode Window!...I need a TC window on screen so the client can make commnets. I see how your idea works and thanks but I couldnt see a way for that to happen with what i just did.

Edward Troxel April 27th, 2010 07:09 AM

Just drop a timecode effect on the track. This will give you the project timecode. It won't change the beginning number between clips but you can use whatever they give you as a timecode and match it up on the timeline.

Seth Bloombaum April 27th, 2010 11:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Um, right, that's a common application - didn't realize you were prepping review reels. The method above takes you as far as show reels.

As Edward says above, go through the steps, then drop the Sony Timecode effect - could be on the track.

The TC effect displays different code when applied in different places, and Vegas gives you choices!

Project, Bus, Track = Timeline Code (project code)
Event = starts at 0:00 for each event that it is on.
Media = original camera timecode

See the attached photo for an example of using master and media TC in a review copy of a multicam shoot. The big TC in the center is project, the smaller windows are camera TC.

These tricks make Vegas quite a versatile generator of TC window dubs...

Geoff Jak May 7th, 2010 11:16 AM

Sorry to sound like a ludite but I need to insert new header timecode for 6 video productions. Productions start from 1 through 6 and vary from 8 to 20 minutes duration. How do I insert hour numbers 1 through 6 to reflect the production number as opposed to just having the Vegas TC generator which to the best of my knowledge will only generate TC from 00 hours.

I have read your replies and thank you for them but if you have explained how to do this i dont get it. Please try again.
Thx

Geoff Jak May 7th, 2010 11:47 AM

Hey!...minutes later I finally get it... and so easy when you know how. Viva Vegas!

I much appreciate your time folks. Thx Geoff Jak