TimeCode project numbering at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 26th, 2010, 07:44 PM   #1
Regular Crew

TimeCode project numbering

Hi...I am producing 6 programs for a client with all programs having an interlocking theme. So when I show then a draft of, say, videos 1 and 6, neither have a timecode that represents the video production number it is. They only have timecode from 00.00.00.

Is there a way to drop in a production number at the head of the TC, just as you do when shooting on location, ie, when say, tape 2 goes in you set up the timecode to start at 2, then 3 etc.
I'm on Vegas 9 but have 8 as well. thx
Geoff Jak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2010, 11:27 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Yes.

Let's say you're on the timeline for project 6. Park the cursor somewhere, perhaps the start of show, or the start of the timeline, or the start of colorbars - whatever.

Select Options | Ruler Format | Set Time at Cursor, then type in something like 6.00.00.00 <enter>.

That's it!

This submenu is also available by right-clicking the timecode display.
Old April 27th, 2010, 12:31 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Agh!- my fault. I havent been explanatory enough - i should have said -TimeCode Window!...I need a TC window on screen so the client can make commnets. I see how your idea works and thanks but I couldnt see a way for that to happen with what i just did.
Old April 27th, 2010, 07:09 AM   #4
Sponsor: JET DV

Just drop a timecode effect on the track. This will give you the project timecode. It won't change the beginning number between clips but you can use whatever they give you as a timecode and match it up on the timeline.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2010, 11:41 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Um, right, that's a common application - didn't realize you were prepping review reels. The method above takes you as far as show reels.

As Edward says above, go through the steps, then drop the Sony Timecode effect - could be on the track.

The TC effect displays different code when applied in different places, and Vegas gives you choices!

Project, Bus, Track = Timeline Code (project code)
Event = starts at 0:00 for each event that it is on.
Media = original camera timecode

See the attached photo for an example of using master and media TC in a review copy of a multicam shoot. The big TC in the center is project, the smaller windows are camera TC.

These tricks make Vegas quite a versatile generator of TC window dubs...
Attached Thumbnails
TimeCode project numbering-4-camtcsm.jpg  

Last edited by Seth Bloombaum; April 27th, 2010 at 04:17 PM.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2010, 11:16 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Sorry to sound like a ludite but I need to insert new header timecode for 6 video productions. Productions start from 1 through 6 and vary from 8 to 20 minutes duration. How do I insert hour numbers 1 through 6 to reflect the production number as opposed to just having the Vegas TC generator which to the best of my knowledge will only generate TC from 00 hours.

I have read your replies and thank you for them but if you have explained how to do this i dont get it. Please try again.
Thx
Old May 7th, 2010, 11:47 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Hey!...minutes later I finally get it... and so easy when you know how. Viva Vegas!

I much appreciate your time folks. Thx Geoff Jak
Geoff Jak is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...