Bunching Time lapse clips at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 17th, 2010, 12:51 PM   #1
Major Player

Bunching Time lapse clips

I have hundreds of JPEG clips, and when I pull them onto the timeline they are grouped in pairs with a space in between each pair. Is there a button to push that will get rid of the spaces and bunch the clips together. I've been working on this all morning and have run out of ideas.
Bill Thesken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2010, 02:18 PM   #2
Major Player

Post edit ripple affected tracks F
Post edit ripple affected tracks, bus tracks, markers, and regions Ctrl+F
Post edit ripple all tracks, markers, and regions Ctrl+Shift+F
Michael Hutson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2010, 04:02 PM   #3
Sponsor: JET DV

If these were time lapse clips and were properly numbered, you might consider bringing them in as an "Image Sequence" instead. Then you'll get ONE event on the timeline that consists of all the separate images and each image will be one frame long.

Otherwise, your easiest solution is to use a script. Scripts can easily eliminate gaps between clips.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2010, 05:57 PM   #4
Major Player

I found out how I messed up. I renamed the pictures and now they have an extension such as Tombolo (1), Tombolo (2) etc. and now vegas will not recognize them as a still image sequence, and I can't figure out how to rename so they have the extension that will be recognized ie: 0001,0002 etc.

EDIT:
I went out and made some more timelapses, used the file names straight from the camera and all is well now, they load right in a single clip.

Last edited by Bill Thesken; September 17th, 2010 at 08:54 PM.
Bill Thesken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2010, 07:38 AM   #5
Sponsor: JET DV

Glad you got it figured out. There are some renaming programs out there that make it easy to rename the sequences. Perhaps someone can recommend one for you - I haven't ever needed one so I don't remember the names that are out there.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2010, 09:36 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I use Irfanview as much as possible for all still image batch processing, and yes, it does include renaming as part of its batch capabilities, you don't even have to touch the image if all you want is rename.

Of course there are some things Irfan view won't do, but photoshop will... But for all the common photo-to-video tasks it excels, such as; crop, change format, change size, etc. and it is blindingly fast.
Old September 18th, 2010, 11:10 AM   #7
Major Player

Hi Seth

I downloaded Irfanview and am doing testing on batch conversion and remane. But I can't seem to get it to do rename. Can you please post your step by step on how you do it.
Here is my sample. Let say I got a bunch of pictures that is started at #1 to #50 and I have a bunch of other pictures that are not in numbered but rather in names. Now I want to to rename start at #51 to 100.
I go to file > Batch conversion/renames. I clicked on the first picture and press shift and clicked on the last picture. Then I click Add. Under Batch rename settings> Options> start counter 51 and increment is 1. I click Start batch, the program did the batching but when I go back to the folder that contain all the pictures and I don't see any thing changed. What am I doing wrong. I appreciated if you can guide me on how it done in rename file in sequence. Thanks you
Bruce Phung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2010, 12:19 PM   #8
Inner Circle

All right, I will do my best and hope this helps!

Going over what you've written, it all looks good - perhaps a missing step or two, or maybe you did them and didn't write them down.

You do need a hash mark (#) for every digit in the output file name. You'll see that in the name_setup.jpg below in the top field, which reads $Ntest##.

You do need to specify an output folder, you'll see that in output_setup.jpg.

When you click "start batch", it should result in the log display that you'll see in result.jpg.

I just did it, and it worked - I have the 3 new images, with sequenced numbers sitting on my desktop, as noted in the result.jpg.

Is it possible that the new images went to some default output folder? To copy them back to the same folder, you'd select "Use current look-in folder" in the Batch output settings field.
Attached Thumbnails
Bunching Time lapse clips-name_setup.jpg   Bunching Time lapse clips-output_setup.jpg  

Bunching Time lapse clips-result.jpg  
Old September 19th, 2010, 12:44 PM   #9
Major Player

Thank you seth.

Yes I got a miss step. I follow your screen shot and am able to renamed all in sequence. I should have clicked the batch rename insteadI clicked the batch conversion/rename thats where I was having problem. Again thank you.
Bruce Phung is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...