Cheap vid cam ok, but can't see video on timeline - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 9th, 2010, 08:21 AM   #31
Major Player

Thank you very much, Gene.
Am trying out these steps now...
Sam Houchins II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2010, 08:51 AM   #32
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Gajewski View Post
You can now use VirtualDub to change the compression - and then save as AVI file. The two best possible choices are CineForm and Lagarith. since you're using a "cheap pocket video" camera, I'd suggest that you save your bucks and go with Lagarith, it's free and it's lossless to boot. CineForm has it's advantages over Lagarith - but the differences don't merit it in your case.
DISREGARD> I'm stuck on this step. Sorry for getting stuck, but how can I use VDub to change the compression? I saw and tried the "save as AVI" option, which resulted in a jump from 20.8MB to a 3.6GB file, but was offered no opportunity that route to use Lagarith. I've missed which other menu option I should choose. <DISREGARD

Thanks for getting me this far! VDub does open the files now.
Progress is good, but in this experimental/learning stage, I can imagine this being VERY tedius in the case of dozens of clips that need to be processed in a full blown project.
For home stuff, this is welcome though.
Thanks again!

EDIT UPDATE> Ok, I found the option to set the compression: Video/Compression, then File/Save as AVI. I had Cineform as a compression option too, as well as Lagarith, perhaps because the trial NeoScene I've downloaded? Sure would be nice if the codec hung around after the trial ran out! Also had Cinepak, DivX 6.9.2, Helix 1420 YUV Codec, Intel IYUV codec, and Microsoft Video 1.

I tried the Cineform and Lagarith compressions. Both were wonderfully 1920x1080. That was nice to see. The Cineform was 319.9 MB, the Lagarith 916.6 MB. On the timeline, the Cineform performed much smoother at full frame rate, set to Preview/Auto. With the same setting, Lagarith dropped to as low as 5 fps.
I'm curious about the results for the other compression options. I'm afraid I've never understood the 4:2:2, or YUV stuff. I may be getting in WAY over my head.

So...
as far as taking some video, and dropping onto Vegas' timeline, THANK YOU! I guess I'll be keeping the camera, and making good use of it. Got some video of the daughter taking riding lessons. Nice to be able to collect some more memories spontaneously. Thank you very much for everyone's help.

Last edited by Sam Houchins II; October 9th, 2010 at 10:24 AM.
Sam Houchins II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2010, 10:36 AM   #33
Regular Crew

I'm glad to have helped. I would've expected a little better peformance out of Lagarith, but who knows.?

Cineform is a fine codec. If you're going to be doing a lot of trancoding, it just might be worth it to purchase - I beleive the NeoScene version at $99 should do the trick for you. For the most part, you can leave the CineForm codec to it's default settings.

Happy Editing!
Gene Gajewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2010, 07:44 AM   #34
Major Player

Vegas Pro 10

FYI...
I get the following error in Vegas Pro 10 trial, when i try to add the camera's files to the timeline (without VDubbing them):

Warning: An error ocurred while opening one or more files. An error occurred while opening a codec.

No improvement on this front.
Sam Houchins II is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...