Cheap vid cam ok, but can't see video on timeline at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 6th, 2010, 06:48 AM   #1
Major Player

Cheap vid cam ok, but can't see video on timeline

I got a cheap pocket video camera for the sake of readily available, spontaneous videoing. Everything's been ok considering the price, until I got to the step of dropping the video onto Vegas' timeline. I've only ever used dv footage 'til now, captured via firewire. This is H264 video codec, avi file; ADPCM audio codec. It's captured on camera to an SDHC card. I was hoping to drag and drop files to the timeline, but when I do, only the audio shows up. I can view the video no problem in Windows Media, so I know the video's there. I'm using Vegas 8c. I appreciate any insight, thanks.
Sam Houchins II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2010, 07:13 AM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

Ok, I'm adding the answer to this in the "I have a problem, what do I do?" sticky at the top.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2010, 07:33 AM   #3
Major Player

Thank you Ed.
I'll try the gSpot (lol). I'm afraid finding the particular codec may be as hard as finding the gSpot (lol). I would have thought that since Windows Media player can play the files, it meant that the codec resided somewhere on my computer already, and then consequently Vegas would already have access to the codec. I'm just thinking way back to the day when I couldn't play DVD's on my computer until I installed a DVD player that had the codec/licensing, and then all of a sudden all my media players could play DVD's. I'll follow up if I still have problems. Thanks again :-).

Last edited by Sam Houchins II; October 6th, 2010 at 10:24 AM.
Old October 6th, 2010, 07:42 AM   #4
Major Player

Ok Ed,
I found the gSpot. That was alot easier than I expected. I used the gSpot. I got what I was after... but it says the codec is installed... H.264/MPEG-4 AVC. How do I get Vegas to use it, wherever it is on my computer? Thank you for your help so far. I'm sorry to need more. Thanks.
Old October 6th, 2010, 07:43 AM   #5

Probably a "DirectX" codec is on your computer but not a "Video for Windows" codec. Some players use DirectX, some use VfW, and others can use both. Vegas uses VfW. It's not uncommon for media players to play files that Vegas can't read.
Old October 6th, 2010, 08:30 AM   #6
Major Player

I just post in the sticky. I think you might find it helpful.
Bruce Phung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2010, 08:43 AM   #7
Major Player

I really appreciate you guys chiming in to help.
I tried searching for an h.264/mpeg-4/AVC for windows. I downloaded and ran x.264. I updated my Super video file converter by eRightSoft (assuming the codec would be in there). I restarted the computer and vegas. I still can't see the video on the timeline. Since I don't know exactly what I'm looking for to install, I'm just shooting in the dark. Perhaps I can trouble you guys for a specific link to a codec (free?).
In the mean time, I did some trial and error re-encoding the video clip using Super. I got a working video/audio clip onto the timeline by re-encoding to an AVI, raw-uncompressed video with the audio unchanged from the original (streamed option). Of course that went from a 20.8 MB file to a 115.3 MB file :-(.
I've evolved (?) to 2 questions now:
*a link to a codec solution
*a recommended re-encoded file format that balances quality with size. These were only < 1min test clips. Can't imagine uncompressed avi for hour plus recordings!
Thanks again.
Old October 6th, 2010, 08:52 AM   #8

My suggestion right now... wait until next Monday, download Vegas Pro 10, and see if it will properly decode the file.

If you want to put a very small sample somewhere, I can try it in Vegas Pro 9 and see if it will open it. My son has a GoPro camera and Vegas Pro 9 opens those files just fine. They are MP4 files.
Old October 6th, 2010, 08:58 AM   #9
Major Player

Sam,
here you go, you try it see if it work for you.
Old October 6th, 2010, 09:05 AM   #10
Major Player

try again see if I can get it to upload. For reason the upload not showing up here. You can google that 2 two codec I listed in the sticky.
Old October 6th, 2010, 09:15 AM   #11

MJPEG and DivX should NOT be what he needs for H.264. MJPEG is already in 8.0c. DivX and XVid are not officially supported in Vegas - some have gotten it to work but others haven't. I'd seriously wait until Monday and try Vegas Pro 10.
Old October 6th, 2010, 09:51 AM   #12
Major Player

Ed et al.,
I hope this link works for you. I'm using Windows SkyDrive to hold a short video clip if you care to take the time to see if you have a different result:
https://cid-1ab0d9affac8cd93.skydriv...UdqmIH7bO*Q%24
Thanks for your time.
Ed, I appreciate your intention of solving my problem by mentioning Vegas 10. Wishing for a free codec rather than a $19.99 download (if I could even find that) hints that maybe something less than a $199 upgrade from 8 to 10 is my goal as well, lol. But I do appreciate options. Maybe it will be time to move up to the modern times, but was hoping for a smaller, cheaper step :-). I may rethink my purchase if the $70 camcorder turns into >=$290 cost just for spontaneous video ability with a cheap camcorder.
Thanks for your comments so far. Sorry to be spending your expertise on casual video.
Old October 6th, 2010, 10:12 AM   #13
Major Player

I have realized that my earlier "success" with Super at re-encoding to a file that loads onto Vegas' timeline was only a small victory. Turns out it also resized it from 1920x1080 to 480x272. That's unacceptable to me. I don't see the option in Super to retain the 1920x1080 in a re-encode. If I set the dimensions manually under custom, I end up with a tiny file (kB) with no video at all.
Maybe I'm making the jump to digital HD prematurely. This is too complicated. How can they bundle cheap software with a cheap camcorder that will open, identify, re-encode, and create a DVD with the camera's files, but Vegas can't even load it on its timeline? sigh...
Thanks for you consideration.
Old October 6th, 2010, 11:12 AM   #14

Ok, I was wrong in my previous post (yes, I'll admit when I'm wrong and it happens way too frequently). It appears a DivX codec may be what's needed to read those files. But I can't swear installing the DivX codec will be the solution. It appears it can be found at Download the DivX Codec and DivX Player - DivX Movies but make sure you do NOT install a "codec pack".

Technically, it says it's an ITU H.26n which is an Intel codec. I would search specifically for that codec and I stand by my warning to NOT install a "codec pack". Maybe someone else can recommend a good place to download the needed coded.
Old October 6th, 2010, 11:53 AM   #15
Major Player

Thank you, but...
I downloaded the div x stuff from the site linked.
No change for the Vegas timeline, though.
Thanks again for trying.
Sam Houchins II is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...