DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Can I capture a scrub... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/488159-can-i-capture-scrub.html)

Walt Noon November 28th, 2010 02:49 PM

Can I capture a scrub...

This is a tad hard to describe...
I'm editing a very lengthy video, and I wanted to do an effect where we see the whole video at high speed in just a few seconds.
If I have the video on the timeline, and I scrub through it at very high speed, it looks like just what I want to see in the preview window.
This sounds like an easy problem, and that just changing event velocity WAY up might do it, but this does not work. When I create a velocity envelope to increase speed, you get a "blurring" like effect on motion. I have the same problem if I grab the end of the timeline while holding "Ctrl" and scrunch it to increase velocity that way.
I guess what I need to do ultimately to get this effect is a way to say "display every 30th frame, or every 100th frame, or whatever."
Does anyone know of a way to do this?
I SUPPOSE I could try to capture the output going to the preview window and do this manually while scrubbing the track, but, that's not ideal?!?
Thanks guys!

Mike Kujbida November 28th, 2010 04:56 PM

Right-click on the video event(s) and select "Disable Resample".
Hopefully that gets rid of the blurring for you.

Gerald Webb November 28th, 2010 09:13 PM

now that would be a great script,
play every 10th or 25th or 30th,60th,100th frame,
is it possible?

Don Bloom November 28th, 2010 09:50 PM

Excalibur has a script that you can set the "on/off" time of frames, IE, .01 and up to more than I've ever used. It's called Strobe effect and while it's not measured in frames I would guess it translates pretty well.

Edward Troxel November 29th, 2010 07:53 AM

Don, the strobe effect *IS* in frames in Excalibur. How it displays depends on how you have Vegas set. For me, it displays as 00:00:00:10, for example. So, yes, Gerald could use it to only leave every 10th, 100th, etc... frame and then use the Gap/Overlap tool to remove the blank spaces left between the frames.

Dale Guthormsen November 29th, 2010 08:06 AM

Walt,

I have wanted to do just this a few times, never occured to me to ask the question!!!

so thank you for asking!!

Mike and Edward, You guys never cease to amaze me!!!

I use excalibur every day and it just never occured to me to tackle it like this!!!!

Thanks everyone!!!

Ok I tried this:

Set time on for 15 frames, time off 1 second 15 frames, that should reduce it to 1/3 length. Hit ctrl a for the whole thing but it only wants to do one event at a time.

went to gap/overlap but it is not clear how to remove gaps.

A little help please??

Mike Kujbida November 29th, 2010 09:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a script that I had in my collection that I forgot about that should be exactly what folks here are looking for.
It had to be zipped as the .js extension is not a supported upload format.
I tested it in Pro 8, 9 and 10 and it worked in all of them.
Enjoy :-)

Edward Troxel November 29th, 2010 09:09 AM

Mike, if that does EVERY frame, it's much faster to use the File - Render As - Image Sequence option now in Vegas Pro 9/10. Plus, I prefer to work with the original footage instead of a bunch of snapshots taken from that original footage - maybe that's just me...

Of course, I suppose the script could be modified to do only specific frames - of course, Excalibur can do all of that as well (i.e. output a series of snapshots based on various conditions).

Mike Kujbida November 29th, 2010 09:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Edward, the script has a Step Time option as well as Start and Stop time settings to allow you to customize it.
In the screenshot shown, I set it to render a frame once every second.

Edward Troxel November 29th, 2010 09:51 AM

It's been ages since I used that script so I didn't remember exactly what options were available.

Bruce Phung November 29th, 2010 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Kujbida (Post 1593232)
Edward, the script has a Step Time option as well as Start and Stop time settings to allow you to customize it.
In the screenshot shown, I set it to render a frame once every second.

Hi Mike,

I have a question for you. Let say I have a bunch of still images and I import it into the vegas timeline. Each image got about 100 frame, that is to long. I certainly can manually shorten the image(clip) to about 35 frame of each image but this would take a long time to do. With your script can you do a screen shot of the above sample I am giving as I am kinda confused time start and time stop etc. Thanks

Mike Kujbida November 29th, 2010 10:34 AM

Bruce, if I understand your question, you have a bunch of stills that are about 3 sec. each on the timeline and you want to shorten them to 1 sec. each.
If that is correct, here's a much easier way to do it than the script I posted
Click on the first image in the sequence, shift+click the last image in the sequence, press G to Group them all together, place your cursor at the end of the last image, hold down the Ctrl key (you'll now see a ~ under the rectangle) and drag the entire sequence to the left the desired amount.
I find that it helps to place a marker at the desired new location so that I know exactly how far back to drag it.
Be advised that this will also shorten any transitions you may have placed between the images.

Bruce Phung November 29th, 2010 11:30 AM

Mike
Yes and no. :) I know how to do image sequence in Vegas but that is to fast, more like only 1 frame per image. But I want let say 35 frame of each still picture. I counted each still pic got about 100 frame. I only want 35 frame of each still. Hope you understand what I say. Thanks

Edward Troxel November 29th, 2010 12:05 PM

Bruce, go to Options - Preferences and change the "New still image length" to be the length you want it to be.

Dale Guthormsen November 29th, 2010 01:33 PM

Mike,

that script worked perfect, just took a little expirimenting to set it right!!!

thank you, it is now in my scripting folder!!

does it have to be run independantly or can you have it working right in vegas?

thank you Gentlemen.