Can I capture a scrub... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old November 28th, 2010, 02:49 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Can I capture a scrub...

This is a tad hard to describe...
I'm editing a very lengthy video, and I wanted to do an effect where we see the whole video at high speed in just a few seconds.
If I have the video on the timeline, and I scrub through it at very high speed, it looks like just what I want to see in the preview window.
This sounds like an easy problem, and that just changing event velocity WAY up might do it, but this does not work. When I create a velocity envelope to increase speed, you get a "blurring" like effect on motion. I have the same problem if I grab the end of the timeline while holding "Ctrl" and scrunch it to increase velocity that way.
I guess what I need to do ultimately to get this effect is a way to say "display every 30th frame, or every 100th frame, or whatever."
Does anyone know of a way to do this?
I SUPPOSE I could try to capture the output going to the preview window and do this manually while scrubbing the track, but, that's not ideal?!?
Thanks guys!
Walt Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2010, 04:56 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Right-click on the video event(s) and select "Disable Resample".
Hopefully that gets rid of the blurring for you.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2010, 09:13 PM   #3
Trustee

now that would be a great script,
play every 10th or 25th or 30th,60th,100th frame,
is it possible?
Old November 28th, 2010, 09:50 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Excalibur has a script that you can set the "on/off" time of frames, IE, .01 and up to more than I've ever used. It's called Strobe effect and while it's not measured in frames I would guess it translates pretty well.
Old November 29th, 2010, 07:53 AM   #5
Sponsor: JET DV

Don, the strobe effect *IS* in frames in Excalibur. How it displays depends on how you have Vegas set. For me, it displays as 00:00:00:10, for example. So, yes, Gerald could use it to only leave every 10th, 100th, etc... frame and then use the Gap/Overlap tool to remove the blank spaces left between the frames.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2010, 08:06 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Walt,

I have wanted to do just this a few times, never occured to me to ask the question!!!

so thank you for asking!!

Mike and Edward, You guys never cease to amaze me!!!

I use excalibur every day and it just never occured to me to tackle it like this!!!!

Thanks everyone!!!

Ok I tried this:

Set time on for 15 frames, time off 1 second 15 frames, that should reduce it to 1/3 length. Hit ctrl a for the whole thing but it only wants to do one event at a time.

went to gap/overlap but it is not clear how to remove gaps.

A little help please??
Old November 29th, 2010, 09:02 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Here's a script that I had in my collection that I forgot about that should be exactly what folks here are looking for.
It had to be zipped as the .js extension is not a supported upload format.
I tested it in Pro 8, 9 and 10 and it worked in all of them.
Enjoy :-)
Attached Files
File Type: zip RenderImageSequence.zip (3.4 KB, 49 views)
Old November 29th, 2010, 09:09 AM   #8

Mike, if that does EVERY frame, it's much faster to use the File - Render As - Image Sequence option now in Vegas Pro 9/10. Plus, I prefer to work with the original footage instead of a bunch of snapshots taken from that original footage - maybe that's just me...

Of course, I suppose the script could be modified to do only specific frames - of course, Excalibur can do all of that as well (i.e. output a series of snapshots based on various conditions).
Old November 29th, 2010, 09:35 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Edward, the script has a Step Time option as well as Start and Stop time settings to allow you to customize it.
In the screenshot shown, I set it to render a frame once every second.
Attached Thumbnails
Can I capture a scrub...-image_sequence.png  
Old November 29th, 2010, 09:51 AM   #10

It's been ages since I used that script so I didn't remember exactly what options were available.
Old November 29th, 2010, 10:18 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kujbida View Post
Edward, the script has a Step Time option as well as Start and Stop time settings to allow you to customize it.
In the screenshot shown, I set it to render a frame once every second.

Hi Mike,

I have a question for you. Let say I have a bunch of still images and I import it into the vegas timeline. Each image got about 100 frame, that is to long. I certainly can manually shorten the image(clip) to about 35 frame of each image but this would take a long time to do. With your script can you do a screen shot of the above sample I am giving as I am kinda confused time start and time stop etc. Thanks
Bruce Phung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2010, 10:34 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Bruce, if I understand your question, you have a bunch of stills that are about 3 sec. each on the timeline and you want to shorten them to 1 sec. each.
If that is correct, here's a much easier way to do it than the script I posted
Click on the first image in the sequence, shift+click the last image in the sequence, press G to Group them all together, place your cursor at the end of the last image, hold down the Ctrl key (you'll now see a ~ under the rectangle) and drag the entire sequence to the left the desired amount.
I find that it helps to place a marker at the desired new location so that I know exactly how far back to drag it.
Be advised that this will also shorten any transitions you may have placed between the images.
Old November 29th, 2010, 11:30 AM   #13
Major Player

Mike
Yes and no. :) I know how to do image sequence in Vegas but that is to fast, more like only 1 frame per image. But I want let say 35 frame of each still picture. I counted each still pic got about 100 frame. I only want 35 frame of each still. Hope you understand what I say. Thanks
Bruce Phung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2010, 12:05 PM   #14

Bruce, go to Options - Preferences and change the "New still image length" to be the length you want it to be.
Old November 29th, 2010, 01:33 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Mike,

that script worked perfect, just took a little expirimenting to set it right!!!

thank you, it is now in my scripting folder!!

does it have to be run independantly or can you have it working right in vegas?

thank you Gentlemen.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...