Best Settings Rendering & Project Properties for AVI?? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old August 7th, 2011, 07:02 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Best Settings Rendering & Project Properties for AVI??

Hey Jerry

Brilliant!! I think you have answered quite a few questions for those who were always unsure about which deinterlace mode to use!!

The one thing that really surprises me is the fact that one should still set deinterlace for progressive!! I was truly under the impression that there was nothing to deinterlace in progressive footage ..I'll have to shoot a bit of 720 50P and see if a deinterlace makes it look better!!

So Ray, the original poster, should just follow the YouTube tutorial in your post #2 and he should get some nice results!!!

Thanks again for all your effort

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 08:22 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Hi Guys again

Just a quickie on the setting deinterlace when your source footage is progressive... on 720 50P test clips using de-interlace on "none" or "blend" doesn't seem to make any difference to the end result!!!

I'd like to know if anyone else sets deinterlace to blend or interpolate when handling progressive footage as I have always left it at none (since there is no interlacing) However Jerry seems sure that Vegas uses the algorithm regardless of whether it's interlaced or not.

What do you set de-interlacing to when using HD progressive footage and resizing to SD ???

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2011, 05:03 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
However Jerry seems sure that Vegas uses the algorithm regardless of whether it's interlaced or not.
That's not exactly what I intended to say. My understanding is that Vegas uses the this setting when resizing interlaced source (whether the render is to interlaced or progressive). I don't know whether it uses it for progressive source or not, but I contend that you might as well set it to "Blend or Interpolate" as Vegas won't use it if not needed.

Again, this is just my understanding,
...Jerry
Jerry Amende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2011, 05:56 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Hi Jerry

My sincere apologies if I read your post incorrectly.!!

With Progressive footage you are then absolutely correct that Vegas doesn't use it ..I rendered out the 720 50P footage using "none", "blend" and "interpolate" today and made all 3 clips onto a DVD ..each was rendered to MPEG2 with DVD PAL Widescreen preset.

Each clip looked exactly the same but I must say that when I was rendering the progessive clip to MPEG with the "interpolate" setting, the render preview showed a lot of combing on vertical edges and a truck that drove past showed it's chrome wheel trim wildly offset from the wheel. When the "none" preset was rendered I didn't see any combing at all. However the LCD TV handled the footage perfectly and all 3 looked the same!!

Note that all MPEG2's were interlaced, and Lower Field First ... the source of course, had no interlacing.

Your input is very much appreciated!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...