DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas Pro - resolution on new monitor (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/504204-vegas-pro-resolution-new-monitor.html)

Stephen Sobel January 8th, 2012 05:43 PM

Vegas Pro - resolution on new monitor

I just upgraded from a 20.1" to a 24" monitor. I set it at the native resolution, which results in tiny fonts. So I set the DPI at 150%. This combination works in all my applications except Vegas Pro. Some of the Vegas work area has extra large fonts, while other parts (particularly the menus) are extremely small. In addition, the menu acoss the top (file, etc.) is partly obscured by the work area.

Has anyone else run into this? Is there a solution that does NOT involve running at a non-native resolution combined with a smaller DPI?

Adam Stanislav January 9th, 2012 10:33 AM

Re: Vegas Pro - resolution on new monitor

Go to the directory Vegas is in, such as C:\Program Files\Sony\Vegas Pro 11.0, right click on vegas110.exe (all this assumes Vegas 11, so adjust accordingly for other versions) and select Properties. A dialog will appear. Select the Compatibility tab. Check Disable display scaling on high DPI settings (make sure the check mark appears). Click OK.

Next time you load Vegas, it will look much better.

But your configuration dialog may still be too big to fit on the screen vertically. In that case you need AltWindowDrag.exe, which you can download by clicking on Download AltWindowDrag AutoHotkey Script & Executable at Get the Linux Alt+Window Drag Functionality in Windows - How-To Geek. Just make sure to have Windows load it every time time it boots. With it running, you can move the oversized dialog up and down by dragging its side while holding the Alt key. Very useful, and not just for Vegas!

Stephen Sobel January 9th, 2012 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Stanislav (Post 1708349)
Go to the directory Vegas is in, such as C:\Program Files\Sony\Vegas Pro 11.0, right click on vegas110.exe (all this assumes Vegas 11, so adjust accordingly for other versions) and select Properties. A dialog will appear. Select the Compatibility tab. Check Disable display scaling on high DPI settings (make sure the check mark appears). Click OK.

Next time you load Vegas, it will look much better.!

I tried to do that. On the compatibility tab, I can click the box regarding it working with Vista, but the settings (including the disable display setting) are grayed out and won't let me check any of them. Any suggestions?

Edward Troxel January 10th, 2012 10:23 AM

My suggestion - change the DPI back to normal.

If you need larger fonts, use a smaller screen resolution.

Jeff Harper January 10th, 2012 11:16 AM

Stephen, do you wear glasses? I ask because I have a pair of glasses specifically for working, my other normal glasses do not work at all. I had the prescription customized for the distance I have my monitor placed in relation to where I sit.

I use a 30" monitor (2560x1600) and would never adjust a thing myself, it's perfect as is for me.

Just a thought.

Stephen Sobel January 10th, 2012 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Troxel (Post 1708589)
My suggestion - change the DPI back to normal.

If you need larger fonts, use a smaller screen resolution.

"Is there a solution that does NOT involve running at a non-native resolution combined with a smaller DPI? "

Stephen Sobel January 10th, 2012 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Harper (Post 1708600)
Stephen, do you wear glasses? I ask because I have a pair of glasses specifically for working, my other normal glasses do not work at all. I had the prescription customized for the distance I have my monitor placed in relation to where I sit.

I use a 30" monitor (2560x1600) and would never adjust a thing myself, it's perfect as is for me.

Just a thought.

Yes, I do wear glasses - though a normal pair. So your special prescription - it allows you to read the small text without any issues? Can you tell me more?

Jeff Harper January 15th, 2012 05:06 PM

Yes Stephen, you just measure the distance that you want the monitor to be from where you sit. In my case it's arms length. I tell/show the doctor this information, and then they prescribe a pair of lenses that meet the requirements, it's surprisingly simple to do, and they do it all the time for people with specific needs like this.

I have always had a pair of glasses that are specifically for video editing, my normal glasses will not work.

I always order the cheapest, least expensive lenses, and cheapest frames, as the extra add-ons just are not necessary for my "work" glasses, as I call them.

Stephen Sobel January 15th, 2012 05:12 PM

Thank you for that info. Great timing, as I have my annual eye exam next week!

Graham Bernard January 17th, 2012 12:04 AM

I too wear Editing spectacles. My "normal" day distance<>reading bifocals are impossible.

M father was an optician. My sister is a dispensing optician and my brother-in-law is an ophthalmic optician too. I'm pretty well ocular correction-aware! I also asked my relative for a pair of PC screen AND reading bifocals, very useful. I also have experimented with another pair of spectacles with camera LCD and distance for my Right eye with a "deep" lower segment. They work.

Eye, error-correction, becomes more and more important as the years spin by. As we get older the muscles and lens start to stiffen-up. Meaning, our accomadation gradually becomes harder for the brain/eye to adjust. That's why I need to have several sets of spectacles to physically/mechanically take up the correction needed. Often overlooked by videographers, it has become more relevant as the one man band cameraman<>editor has forced us to become aware of this tedious onset of ocular correction. What can I say?

Cheers

Grazie

Jeff Harper January 17th, 2012 06:48 AM

Graham, I also have my regular glasses with the lower bi-focal part prescribed to accommodate my LCD on my video cameras!

Good timing indeed, Stephen! FYI, it's possible the prescription you get for your new editing glasses may not work the first time around. It's happened to me, and I've simply returned to the doctor and told him and he adjusted the prescription, and I had the lenses replaced.

Mike Kujbida January 17th, 2012 08:04 AM

Bi-focal makes us sound so old :)
That's why I prefer the term "progressive lens".
I did the same thing several years ago when I first switched from regular lenses to progressive.
It made seeing a clear picture on a studio viewfinder impossible unless I tilted my head back which resulted in a very sore neck :(
I had my optician make me a pair designed for that specific distance only and the fuzzies were gone !!

Stephen Sobel January 17th, 2012 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Kujbida (Post 1709919)
Bi-focal makes us sound so old :)
That's why I prefer the term "progressive lens".
I did the same thing several years ago when I first switched from regular lenses to progressive.
It made seeing a clear picture on a studio viewfinder impossible unless I tilted my head back which resulted in a very sore neck :(
I had my optician make me a pair designed for that specific distance only and the fuzzies were gone !!

I've been wearing "progressive lens" for several years now - I agree - I like that term much more than bi-focal. I've heard of people in office settings with computer glasses, but I must admit I never thought about getting glasses specifically for use with my computer monitor and video editing. I definitely am interested in that as an alternative to fussing with the font settings.

Stephen Sobel January 18th, 2012 08:19 PM

I'm not sure what made me think of this, or check - but I checked the "Set custom text size (DPI)" custom DPI settings and discovered the checkbox next to "Use Windows XP Style DPI Scaling". I checked that box, re-booted, and now the Vegas Pro interface is perfect. The fonts are all the same size, and the menu bar on the top is completely visible!