Vegas Pro - resolution on new monitor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 8th, 2012, 05:43 PM   #1
Major Player

Vegas Pro - resolution on new monitor

I just upgraded from a 20.1" to a 24" monitor. I set it at the native resolution, which results in tiny fonts. So I set the DPI at 150%. This combination works in all my applications except Vegas Pro. Some of the Vegas work area has extra large fonts, while other parts (particularly the menus) are extremely small. In addition, the menu acoss the top (file, etc.) is partly obscured by the work area.

Has anyone else run into this? Is there a solution that does NOT involve running at a non-native resolution combined with a smaller DPI?
Stephen Sobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 10:33 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Vegas Pro - resolution on new monitor

Go to the directory Vegas is in, such as C:\Program Files\Sony\Vegas Pro 11.0, right click on vegas110.exe (all this assumes Vegas 11, so adjust accordingly for other versions) and select Properties. A dialog will appear. Select the Compatibility tab. Check Disable display scaling on high DPI settings (make sure the check mark appears). Click OK.

Next time you load Vegas, it will look much better.

But your configuration dialog may still be too big to fit on the screen vertically. In that case you need AltWindowDrag.exe, which you can download by clicking on Download AltWindowDrag AutoHotkey Script & Executable at Get the Linux Alt+Window Drag Functionality in Windows - How-To Geek. Just make sure to have Windows load it every time time it boots. With it running, you can move the oversized dialog up and down by dragging its side while holding the Alt key. Very useful, and not just for Vegas!
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 07:23 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Stanislav View Post
Go to the directory Vegas is in, such as C:\Program Files\Sony\Vegas Pro 11.0, right click on vegas110.exe (all this assumes Vegas 11, so adjust accordingly for other versions) and select Properties. A dialog will appear. Select the Compatibility tab. Check Disable display scaling on high DPI settings (make sure the check mark appears). Click OK.

Next time you load Vegas, it will look much better.!
I tried to do that. On the compatibility tab, I can click the box regarding it working with Vista, but the settings (including the disable display setting) are grayed out and won't let me check any of them. Any suggestions?
Old January 10th, 2012, 10:23 AM   #4
Sponsor: JET DV

My suggestion - change the DPI back to normal.

If you need larger fonts, use a smaller screen resolution.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2012, 11:16 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Stephen, do you wear glasses? I ask because I have a pair of glasses specifically for working, my other normal glasses do not work at all. I had the prescription customized for the distance I have my monitor placed in relation to where I sit.

I use a 30" monitor (2560x1600) and would never adjust a thing myself, it's perfect as is for me.

Just a thought.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2012, 05:59 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel View Post
My suggestion - change the DPI back to normal.

If you need larger fonts, use a smaller screen resolution.
"Is there a solution that does NOT involve running at a non-native resolution combined with a smaller DPI? "
Old January 10th, 2012, 06:01 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
Stephen, do you wear glasses? I ask because I have a pair of glasses specifically for working, my other normal glasses do not work at all. I had the prescription customized for the distance I have my monitor placed in relation to where I sit.

I use a 30" monitor (2560x1600) and would never adjust a thing myself, it's perfect as is for me.

Just a thought.
Yes, I do wear glasses - though a normal pair. So your special prescription - it allows you to read the small text without any issues? Can you tell me more?
Old January 15th, 2012, 05:06 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Yes Stephen, you just measure the distance that you want the monitor to be from where you sit. In my case it's arms length. I tell/show the doctor this information, and then they prescribe a pair of lenses that meet the requirements, it's surprisingly simple to do, and they do it all the time for people with specific needs like this.

I have always had a pair of glasses that are specifically for video editing, my normal glasses will not work.

I always order the cheapest, least expensive lenses, and cheapest frames, as the extra add-ons just are not necessary for my "work" glasses, as I call them.
Old January 15th, 2012, 05:12 PM   #9
Major Player

Thank you for that info. Great timing, as I have my annual eye exam next week!
Old January 17th, 2012, 12:04 AM   #10
Old Boot

I too wear Editing spectacles. My "normal" day distance<>reading bifocals are impossible.

M father was an optician. My sister is a dispensing optician and my brother-in-law is an ophthalmic optician too. I'm pretty well ocular correction-aware! I also asked my relative for a pair of PC screen AND reading bifocals, very useful. I also have experimented with another pair of spectacles with camera LCD and distance for my Right eye with a "deep" lower segment. They work.

Eye, error-correction, becomes more and more important as the years spin by. As we get older the muscles and lens start to stiffen-up. Meaning, our accomadation gradually becomes harder for the brain/eye to adjust. That's why I need to have several sets of spectacles to physically/mechanically take up the correction needed. Often overlooked by videographers, it has become more relevant as the one man band cameraman<>editor has forced us to become aware of this tedious onset of ocular correction. What can I say?

Cheers

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2012, 06:48 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Graham, I also have my regular glasses with the lower bi-focal part prescribed to accommodate my LCD on my video cameras!

Good timing indeed, Stephen! FYI, it's possible the prescription you get for your new editing glasses may not work the first time around. It's happened to me, and I've simply returned to the doctor and told him and he adjusted the prescription, and I had the lenses replaced.
Old January 17th, 2012, 08:04 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Bi-focal makes us sound so old :)
That's why I prefer the term "progressive lens".
I did the same thing several years ago when I first switched from regular lenses to progressive.
It made seeing a clear picture on a studio viewfinder impossible unless I tilted my head back which resulted in a very sore neck :(
I had my optician make me a pair designed for that specific distance only and the fuzzies were gone !!
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2012, 05:52 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kujbida View Post
Bi-focal makes us sound so old :)
That's why I prefer the term "progressive lens".
I did the same thing several years ago when I first switched from regular lenses to progressive.
It made seeing a clear picture on a studio viewfinder impossible unless I tilted my head back which resulted in a very sore neck :(
I had my optician make me a pair designed for that specific distance only and the fuzzies were gone !!
I've been wearing "progressive lens" for several years now - I agree - I like that term much more than bi-focal. I've heard of people in office settings with computer glasses, but I must admit I never thought about getting glasses specifically for use with my computer monitor and video editing. I definitely am interested in that as an alternative to fussing with the font settings.
Old January 18th, 2012, 08:19 PM   #14
Major Player

I'm not sure what made me think of this, or check - but I checked the "Set custom text size (DPI)" custom DPI settings and discovered the checkbox next to "Use Windows XP Style DPI Scaling". I checked that box, re-booted, and now the Vegas Pro interface is perfect. The fonts are all the same size, and the menu bar on the top is completely visible!
Stephen Sobel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...