New video card at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old February 2nd, 2012, 03:29 PM   #1
Major Player

New video card

The computer I currently use for editing (Vegas Pro 11) is a Dell XPS 9000 with a 1GB GDDR5 ATI Radeon HD5770 video card installed. The video card is acting up, overheating it appears, and so my question is what video card would you recommend I purchase as an upgrade in order to utilize the new features of Vegas Pro 11?

Many thanks

John
John McCully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2012, 05:40 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: New video card

I have the 5750, and it is working fine with Vegas 11. Do you what temps your card is reaching? Are there any other components that are acting up as well? Do you have sufficient case fans and air flow?
Stephen Sobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2012, 10:56 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Well, it is hard to answer a question like this since there are so many different video cards out there.
Also, most name brand computers usually install a powersupply that just meets the systems current power needs. So changing a video card, usually means changing the powersupply as well.

Since you asked for an opinion, I would go with a Nvidia GTX 560TI 448 core video card and a seasonic 600 watt power supply or the seasonic 750 watt supply.

When reading the many posts here on the forum about video cards, many people have disabled GPU rendering, as I believe some of the codex they are using are not GPU accelerated. Since I am more of a hardware expert than a vegas expert ( more a vegas novice really ) I would double check your work flow to see if GPU acceleration will work for you.

I use two video cards, a 10bit-deepcolor video card for photoshop and a gforce card, for vegas.

Sorry about the late answer, I was on vacation o)
Joe Kollee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2012, 02:35 AM   #4
Major Player

Joe, many thanks for that; most appreciated. I’ve been out of the office also as it happens and not paying attention to this issue until today. On further investigation seems it is not a video card issue but perhaps a power supply thing therefore your response is relevant as I might just go with the Seasonic power supply, if they are available in this part of the world.

I guess I’m not up to speed on how Vegas might utilize the video card other than that I recall something about the current version doing so. I might just go ahead and upgrade the power supply and see if that tidies things up and take it from there. The ATI Radeon HD5770 video card passed all the tests I've just completed so it should be just fine. If I do need to upgrade the card I shall go with your suggestion.

Many thanks.
Old February 5th, 2012, 02:37 AM   #5
Trustee

no cuda on ati.

that is if you need it.
Old February 5th, 2012, 02:44 AM   #6
Major Player

Huh! Had to Google cuda and seems, I think, you are saying that my current video card can not be utilized during rendering. Did I get that right Leslie? Not sure if I need it but I always want faster rendering. Maybe I do need a new video card. Does it really make a difference to rendering time?
Old February 5th, 2012, 05:05 AM   #7
Trustee

well, it certainly makes a difference IF your cpu isn't as powerful as your gpu ;-)

i'm no expert on this, but reading the various groups it seems there's a lot to be gained using gpu rendering on less powerful pcs.

my i7/920 with 550ti gives excellent render times with gpu. 560> cards even better.

i think you need to research a little about it - try scs board as well...

what's the dell cpu?
Old February 5th, 2012, 01:02 PM   #8
Major Player

The cpu is the same as yours. The card upgrades you are talking about look like about $300 to 400 NZ and perhaps a new PSU.

Thanks for clueing me in on the cuda business. I simply assumed my modern machine would be just fine with the GPU rendering assist enabled with Vegas Pro 11. Ya learn something every day around here.

What sort of percent increase are you talking about, más o menos?
Old February 5th, 2012, 05:13 PM   #9
Major Player

Keep in mind Vegas also supports OpenCL, which the AMD Radeon card mentioned has.

So as is, with no changes, the OP can get GPU acceleration.
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2012, 08:00 PM   #10
Major Player

Thanks Bill, most helpful. I took a look in the help file, downloaded the latest drivers and Bob's your uncle; I'm in business with GPU assisted rendering with the card installed as you said.

Regarding the overheating problem I took the computer outside, took off the cover and gave the thing a good blowing out with compreseed air. You would not believe the crap the came out of there.

I think I might be home free!

Thanks, and cheers...
Old February 8th, 2012, 04:45 PM   #11
Major Player

For what it's worth, I open my case up and blow it out about every three or four months. There's always a bit of dust that has accumulated.

Do you have any software installed that can check your card's temp?
Old February 13th, 2012, 09:45 PM   #12
Major Player

Thanks Stephen, yes, I have Speedfan 4.45 installed and the card is running, now, at about 50 C. I have discovered that I might need a new video card after all notwithstanding the temperature being satisfactory. I am unable to render AVCHD 60p unless I select the option to not use the GPU. While the card is said to be OpenCL compliant and therefore should work it doesn’t. Either the card is not up to the task for whatever reason or there is a switch I have yet to locate.

Looking at Sony’s Vegas web site I note the best performing card that they have tested, or at least publish data on, is the Nvidia GeForce GTX 570. So I would probably be up for a new PSU along with the card which adds up to more than loose change. And it may well be that there are newer cards that are significantly better!

So, work in progress and ideas most welcome.
Old February 14th, 2012, 08:13 PM   #13
Major Player

John, If you end up getting a new card, please post the details. I'm going to be doing a new build in the fall, so I'll be looking for ideas.

Stephen
Old February 20th, 2012, 01:01 AM   #14
Major Player

Sure will, Stephen. Given the first-look at the associated costs and the fact that it’s high summer here; you know – the season to procrastinate as long as things are going more-or-less OK (which they are), it might be that you get there first in which case I will learn from your experience. But yes; when I do I will post accordingly. Thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers...
Old February 20th, 2012, 06:01 AM   #15
Major Player

John,

If I get there first, I will certainly post the details.

Stephen

Last edited by Edward Troxel; February 20th, 2012 at 07:43 AM.
Stephen Sobel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...