Cannot Get Quality over 720x480 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 12th, 2012, 06:35 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Cannot Get Quality over 720x480

I'm a noob and only have a very small application for which I want to use Vegas for.

I hope you guys can enlighten me.

I shoot with Sony DSR-PD170. I see examples of videos shot with this camera that are larger than the NTSC DV (720x480, 29.970 fps) I render with.

I have tried and experimented but cannot get sharp video over the 720x480 setting.

Is there something in the Cam I need to setup? I don't set it to widescreen.

Can I get a pointer on setting up my rendering to get a larger video of quality? Is there such an animal?
Old March 12th, 2012, 07:01 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Cannot Get Quality over 720x480

Hi Allen

The PD170 is shooting 720x480 DV in 4:3 mode so if you want anything higher then you really are upsizing the footage so you would lose resolution.

What are you upsizing to??? and any particular reason??? All HD file sizes are based on widescreen aspect ratios so to "fit" 4:3 footage into say 1920x1080 you not only need to upsize but also crop the image quite drastically to make it fit the widescreen format...using Pan/Crop in Vegas to make 4:3 fit into a 16:9 format requires close to a 40% zoom of the original and that's BEFORE you even make it any larger!! Already the zoomed image will be pretty much degraded!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2012, 07:02 PM   #3
Inner Circle

That camera only shoots in NTSC DV (720x480, 29.970 fps) mode.
Can you give us a link to some of these examples of videos shot with this camera that are larger than that?
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2012, 07:13 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Hi Allen

The PD170 is shooting 720x480 DV in 4:3 mode so if you want anything higher then you really are upsizing the footage so you would lose resolution.

What are you upsizing to??? and any particular reason??? All HD file sizes are based on widescreen aspect ratios so to "fit" 4:3 footage into say 1920x1080 you not only need to upsize but also crop the image quite drastically to make it fit the widescreen format...using Pan/Crop in Vegas to make 4:3 fit into a 16:9 format requires close to a 40% zoom of the original and that's BEFORE you even make it any larger!! Already the zoomed image will be pretty much degraded!!

Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kujbida View Post
That camera only shoots in NTSC DV (720x480, 29.970 fps) mode.
Can you give us a link to some of these examples of videos shot with this camera that are larger than that?
Thanks Guys,

Perhaps I did not know what I was looking at. So what I have is what I get as far as quality.

Thanks
Old March 12th, 2012, 09:15 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I still shoot with both a PD150 and a PD170 (both very well worn) and as noted the 170 shoots DV in 720X480. I have played my stuff on a 65" LCD TV without breakup or pixelation and only very very slight breakup on an 80" TV and then only at a dark wedding reception with a lot of pretty fast movement.
The PD series (along with the VX2000 and VX2100 and the DSR250 which are all basically the same glass and electronics with the 2100 and 170 having an updated DSP) (updated for it's time). These cameras still produce a great image so if the quality is not what you had hoped for perhaps it's something in the settings of the camera.
Can you post a JPG or even a short (10 second) clip so we can check it out? I know the type of work you do it might not be possible but if you could then we could better understand what changes might help make for a better quality image.
Old March 12th, 2012, 09:48 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Re:Cannot Get Quality over 720x480

Thanks Don,

I'm afraid you are the victim of a poor noob. I was asking how to render for lager than its native format and still have sharp imaging.

If I render in (720x480, 29.970 fps) its fine. As for the work I do. I am a PI and use the PD170 for low-light surveillance situations. I call it the widow maker. The camera is amazing and with Vegas "Levels FX" adjustments and such for the really dark ones, it has foiled many a perp.

I was wanting to render it to be larger when viewed on a PC display.

Thanks Again
Old March 13th, 2012, 05:05 AM   #7
Inner Circle

If you're playing it back using the Windows Media Player then set the size of the Media Player to 200%. That should get you started. If you need bigger on the monitor screen, you gotta get a bigger screen ;-)
Old March 15th, 2012, 10:32 AM   #8
Jubal 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Campbell View Post
Thanks Don,

I'm afraid you are the victim of a poor noob. I was asking how to render for lager than its native format and still have sharp imaging.

If I render in (720x480, 29.970 fps) its fine. As for the work I do. I am a PI and use the PD170 for low-light surveillance situations. I call it the widow maker. The camera is amazing and with Vegas "Levels FX" adjustments and such for the really dark ones, it has foiled many a perp.

I was wanting to render it to be larger when viewed on a PC display.

Thanks Again
If you render it out to a larger frame, always have the video quality setting to "best" -- this will give you the best result for rescaling.

But, as noted, you only have the video information you have, so it won't get sharper. You can add sharpening, but it'll increase the noise, too.

Shows like CSI do a great disservice by making it seem like video footage can be infinitely enhanced. Try as you might, you will never get a license plate number off the reflection on a coat button. :)
David Jimerson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...