Not Again at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 25th, 2012, 11:20 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Not Again

I am having random clips on the timeline replaced with different clips - but with the correct file name in Vegas pro 11 64bit. I had this problem a couple of revs ago, but it is back.

Sony Please don't give us any more new features until you fix what we have now!
Jay Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2012, 11:22 AM   #2
Jubal 28

Re: Not Again

Yes, I had the same thing happen just yesterday.

Fortunately, I always save multiple copies of the project file.
David Jimerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2012, 12:49 AM   #3
Trustee

is this with the latest version?

if so it's a disgrace!!!!
Old March 26th, 2012, 11:04 AM   #4
Jubal 28

Yep, V11 build 595.
David Jimerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2012, 12:46 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Yes build 545 and yes it is a disgrace
Old March 29th, 2012, 09:52 AM   #6
Regular Crew

typo in last post.. build 595 not build 545

Boy do clients love it when clips start changing on their own.
Thanks Sony
Old April 3rd, 2012, 02:23 AM   #7
Major Player

Had this occur with me whilst editing a wedding for a client. Incredibly frustrating. How i dealt with it was to move the rushes with the effected clips to a new folder (try the desktop). Unfortunately reverting back to an old 'save' won't fix it and you'll have to edit it again, but with the rushes in a new location that file should not be effected any more (at least mine were okay after moving them). Only problem is a new clip can become affected at any time since no-one seems to know exactly how or why it occurs.
Jordan Brindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2012, 05:31 AM   #8
Trustee

Has anyone got suggestions for this, 3 days of cutting a 4 hr project and now its just gone nuts,
different clips everywhere, even clips that arent even in the project, this is crazy.
I opened up the auto saves from 5 hours ago that were fine when Vegas last closed, and they are screwed too.
Please offer suggestions.....
Old April 24th, 2012, 06:19 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Gerald, first thing delete all of the SFK files and see if that helps. Probably won't but do it anyway.

The main thing to try is the following:

1. Copy your original folders and files to another hard drive.

2.Rename the original (NOT THE NEW COPY) folder with your clips. This is because you do not want Vegas to reference the original folder when you try this.

3.Then open your project, and Vegas will not find the video clips, so you will have to redirect it to look to the new hard drive location.

See if that helps.

This has happened to me in previous versions of Vegas. I honestly believe it is a Windows corruption issue of some kind, not a Vegas one. It has happened to me, as I said once or twice, is very aggravating, I know. I don't remember how I got past it. But I'm sure the above was the first step I took to fix it.

Let us know what happens.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2012, 06:23 AM   #10
Trustee

thanks Jeff, will try first thing in the am, brain is fried now.
will report back, either success... or defection......
Old April 24th, 2012, 07:16 AM   #11
Trustee

i think this is one of the main bugs that has me worried - i had it a couple of times in 10, and once in an early release of 11, but i now have 2 major projects coming up and to be perfectly honest, i don't think vegas is up to it any more.

it was exceptionally bad pr to have released 510/511with the line:

'Fixed an issue that could cause events to use the wrong media in certain circumstances (seen when project is later loaded).'

and then have the same bug reappear in the following two point releases.

obviously there's something seriously amiss with scs's quality control, and to sell 11 as a 'pro' tool is now nothing more than a bad joke.

i have just ordered cs6, i don't want to leave vegas, but i'm not willing to take the risk of editing a complex major project with an nle that could at any moment simply lose the plot.
Old April 24th, 2012, 07:21 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Thanks for posting Leslie, I did't realize this was a known Vegas bug. Truly a bummer.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2012, 10:20 AM   #13
Major Player

Jeff Harper said, "Thanks for posting Leslie, I did't realize this was a known Vegas bug. Truly a bummer."

It is a bug that only affects some users in that I and some others have never had it happen.

There are those who have seen this a lot, those who have occasionally seen it and those like me who have never seen it.

A suggestion might be certain Windows installs and updates may be causing it. For instance, SCS fixes the problem and it clears-up for a while then Microsoft sends out an update and the problem comes back and now SCS has to re-fix the problem.

Or it might be the way one is naming their files.

Or it might be that one starts their project in one location and then moves it to another.

Or it might be in the Vegas settings.

Or it might be the workflow.

Or it might be whatever...

I must be doing something right because I never have crashes with Vegas 11 or any of the other issues. Why? I do not know why I do not have problems and others do but I have seen posts where some have a lot of plug-ins and/or other input devices that have caused problems.

The question is, how much of this is Vegas vs. something else?
Old April 24th, 2012, 05:23 PM   #14
Trustee

@ danny.

i'm very happy for you, seriously. i have been using vegas professionally since ver 4, and am still (hesitantly) using it now.

my pc is a 'standard' machine, (not connected to the net, nor running anything else other than vegas, cs5 ps, and a few other audio / video programs. it is absolutely rock solid. however, this random replacement of files IS scs's problem - there's certainly enough people raising this problem on the various forums and ng's to negate any external factors, such as win updates, etc.,

this is nothing more than scs failing to correct a known bug - a not uncommon experience for the last few major releases....
Old April 24th, 2012, 06:15 PM   #15
Trustee

Tried what Jeff suggested, no go, still a mess.
I have a theory though, There are three cams in the project that make .mts files, so three versions of 00001.mts 00002.mts and so on.
Maybe ,even though they are in separate folders, Vegas loses the plot with the same file names?
Anyway, I found a little program that batch renames whole folders-
Rename files with A.F.5
took about 10 mins to rename everything to unique file names eg. gh2 sat crd1 1.mts (without spaces)
being- cam=gh2, day=Sat, SD card=crd1, file number=1
gh2satcrd11.mts
Its a theory, if it works, I'm good. If it goes south again.... I'm gone, Premiere here I come.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...