Not Again - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 24th, 2012, 07:45 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Not Again

Gerald, that makes sense, and might explain why I don't have the issue. I batch rename all video files while still on my the SD card. I don't believe I did that when I had the issue, which might explain things.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2012, 08:13 PM   #17
Major Player

I never use the original 0001.mts, etc, names. I always rename camera one as C1 camera two as C2 and so on. Note: Shorter names.

Audio recorders are named as PA, Piano, etc.

Names that tell me what they were actually used for instead of meaningless numbers.

Vegas may be tripping over the zero's and causing the problems after one gets deep in the project. The SCS fix attempt was probably trying to correct that and it apparently did not work.

So try renaming all of the events, videos and audios to something logical and see if that works.
Old April 24th, 2012, 10:53 PM   #18
Trustee

i've always renamed my files to 'sensible', non-complex, and clearly defined names ever since i can remember. hasn't stopped the odd media swap by vegas though....
Old April 25th, 2012, 08:27 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Hmmm, that's unfortunate Leslie. Thought maybe we had a solution. Still makes sense to do the renaming thing, but I'm sorry it is not the answer.
Old April 25th, 2012, 04:59 PM   #20
Trustee

Well I've been editing for 24hrs with the master project, and sequences from it.
No issues yet with the uniquely named files. I really thought that would have been it causing the problem.
Cross my fingers.
Interesting about new Premiere though, more Vegas features creeping in, just like FCPX.
Premiere now has continuing playback while making adjustments.
How do the other guys keep adding new features and remain solid ( well 5.5 was anyway ).
Very keen to hear your feedback in few months Leslie ;)
Old April 25th, 2012, 05:58 PM   #21
Trustee

well i'm not giving up quite yet ;-)

1. i want to see what the next point release offers in vegas. i've been using it so long that working with it is second nature (EXCLUDING having to save every couple of minutes!).

2. i have a lot of money invested in plugins (though i can apparently transfer some across to cs6 - at a price)

3. i'm eavesdropping the cs6 boards BEFORE i do anything rash - no out of the frying pan into the fire!)

so don't write me off quite yet ;-)

ps. good luck with your project - just remember - keep saving!!! excalibur is great for this.

oh!

4. i'd hate to lose excalibur and edward's wonderful, personal, support for it!
Old April 25th, 2012, 10:53 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Two of my pet peeves with Premier, as I remember it; I could not open multiple instances of PP at one time. I could not drag and drop files onto the timeline, I had to import footage through the PP interface. It just seemed so darned awkward to use, I hated it. Maybe it's better now, or improved in usability since CS3.
Old May 4th, 2012, 07:25 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Hi guys, I can also confirm that this bug exists.

An unforgivable bug really.

It doesn't happen often but still ... :(
Chris Amana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 08:35 PM   #24
Trustee

so, dl'ed latest release and see NO mention of this bug being fixed!

am running it now, and so far so good, but with amjor projects coming up in the next month or two there's absolutely no way i'm going to use vegas while this bug is unaccounted for!

to that end i'm installing cs6 production bundle (bought at an educational discount). i'm not happy about the idea of leaving vegas (after 10 years of use), nor of having to learn another nle's idiosyncrasies, but since scs seems more intent adding (to me) useless features without fixing KNOWN bugs, then i have little alternative if i want a professional nle.
Old May 5th, 2012, 01:31 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Are you sure the actual media has changed and not just the representation (image of the file in "Project Media")? I've had that happen to on occasion, but it would never affect what was actually on the time line, and stopping and restarting Vegas would always fix it.
Coral Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2012, 05:32 AM   #26
Trustee

hi coral, appreciate the thought, but believe me, this is no way to edit. as for stop / starting vegas to get things (hopefully) back - vegas is supposed to be a professional nle!?

i used to praise vegas as loudly as i could, i would happily spend time with any of my students who wanted a bit more 'depth' to their knowledge of editing and using vegas. now, i'm scared that if i start a major project i might just end up loosing it in an instance, and that telling a student that 'it's a known bug' is some sort of lame excuse for their losing their work - no way....
Old May 5th, 2012, 10:03 AM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald Webb View Post
No issues yet with the uniquely named files.
Please keep us posted about whether uniquely named files makes I difference. I've never seen this problem and always rename the source files so I can keep track of them.

Vegas has code that tries to reconnect if the media goes offline and then back online. I wonder if this media reconnection routine is causing the clip shuffling when AVCHD files have the same numerical names.
Eric Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2012, 01:04 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Leslie,
I completely agree...starting and stopping your editor is no way to work with a professional NLE. My main point was to try and find out if the actual files/media clips were changing. That has never happened to me and routinely edit 3-camera wedding projects, but always give my .m2t files unique names (as Vegas says you should for multi-camera projects). Again, what I have seen once or twice is that the images (not the actual clips) I see in the Project Media area do not belong to the actual clips. But again, I agree that this is some type of bug and needs to be addressed for the type of money we are spending and reliance we place on "Professional NLE".
Coral Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 09:09 AM   #29
Regular Crew

I have a new variation of this problem now.. i will get a clip to act as if it were a transparency from time to time. the clip will not play, but if i delete the audio to it - the clip responds.

Never boring editing in Vegas, just one more work around to add to the LONG list.
Jay Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 05:34 PM   #30
Trustee

Well I should update,
I'm about 4 hrs in, long way to go still :( lol
I haven't had an issue since using the unique file names.
I have to admit this is about as far as I've ever pushed Vegas,
Master projects with up to 5 cams on the timeline about 8 to 12hrs long,
Pulling sequences of 3 to 10 mins from the master and editing in another instance of Vegas,
AND having another instance of Vegas rendering a lot of the time as well.
Yes I've had a few crashes, not many though. No failed renders.
All in all, feels pretty solid.
Never know what today will bring though :)
Never know your luck in Vegas.....

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...