Nvidia GTX 660 Ti not working with Vegas - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old May 4th, 2013, 04:51 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: Nvidia GTX 660 Ti not working with Vegas

Well... I do own a Gigabyte GTX 670.. And its working perfectly...
I do not get any faster render times, But Vegas Pro 12 is stable as a rock!

Never had problems with drivers or anything... May be your old drivers/files laying around in the system?

Have you tried format you disk and reinstalled windows ?
Kim Olsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2013, 06:51 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Leong View Post
Hold everything. No version of Sony Vegas Pro ever supported CUDA for GPU acceleration (because Sony did not want to pay nVidia for the use of the CUDA license and SDK). The only API that Sony supports for GPU acceleration is OpenCL. And nVidia's gaming cards have always had relatively slow performance in OpenCL in comparison to the same company's Quadro cards with even lesser specs than the GeForces, as well as competing GPUs from AMD (the former ATi graphics company).

And it looks like the GeForce 600 series GPUs are not the only GPUs affected by this bug. I dug further, and also discovered that users of Vegas with K-series Quadros are also having the very same problem as those with GeForce 600-series cards.
Well Randall.... In Video FX tab in Vegas Pro, you have "GPU Accerarated" plug-ins...
They do actully use cudas for faster playback speed... In Garys Video (Sony Staff) he shows that Vegas Pro use the GPU for both playback speed and render.. When it comes to render it does not use GPU for all outputs...
On Sonys webpage the "XDCAM EX (MPEG-2) 1080-60i Render" and "AVC (H.264) 1080-30p Render" is listed as compatible...

it maybe others, but I have no insight in them.

And yes, the 600 serie isnt supported or listed at sonys website.

Iam no programming engineer, but I read on Sonys forum something about the newest CUDA toolkit/api (whatever) which is in the 600 serie cards, isnt implented in Vegas Pro. Why? Idont know.
Old May 5th, 2013, 06:54 AM   #18
Major Player

Kim,

I stand corrected. I have not been following Vegas developments closely since I "defected" to Adobe some time ago. (And that was around the time of Vegas Pro 9.0, which did not support CUDA or OpenCL GPU acceleration at all.)
Randall Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2013, 07:54 AM   #19
Major Player

OK =)

The only problem with Vegas Pro's GPU acceleration is that it havent been updated to support the 600-serie graphic cards. And I dont have a clue whats up wih ATI's graphic cards.. Never tested them.

Yeah, Adobe have so many good stuff, such as buffer on a scratch disk. Very effective... I meant After Effects... Dont know about Premiere?
Old May 9th, 2013, 11:07 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Slightly off topic, but since you mentioned Adobe, I wonder if more people will be upset with their cloud idea and move to vegas OR, will more people like that idea and move away...

Adobe customers can use CS6 on their machines with out upgrading to the cloud and from what I read that is the last version they will sell as a package you can buy at a one time cost. Since CS6 is fairly new, Adobe customers will have a few years before they are forced to move to the cloud as technology changes.

Microsoft is doing office 360 cloud now, to me it looks like the world is going to shift to this cloud idea and that means monthly fees will be added to our way of life again.

I think we have a few years left to pay off the mortgage so we can switch to a software mortgage instead.
Joe Kollee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2013, 09:21 PM   #21
Regular Crew

For video playback in VP 12 the nVidia GTX 660 Ti card is recognized.
My experience with the GTX 660 is that when I turn off "GPU acceleration of video processing" in VP 12 my card usage increases significantly. With acceleration turned on the Usage never peaks above 14%, but when I turn it off the Usage peaks to 24% and a few quick jumps to 30%. No expert in this area, just an observation. I am using GPU Meter as my source of information. I am using latest Neat Video and some NewBlue effects.

I assume the CPU is doing the heavy lifting since either way the frame rate remains 29.970 Preview(Auto).
720x480

Last edited by Harold Brown; July 6th, 2013 at 09:22 PM. Reason: corrected card number
Harold Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2013, 09:37 AM   #22
Major Player

Just want to share my experience with AMD card. I am running Radeon HD 6950 2gb with a 3930K overclocked @4.6Ghz 6 cores. 64gb DDR3 running @1866mhz. Was running @2133mhz but back off to stock speed 1866mhz.

Vegas timeline performance is awesome GPU Accelerate at 94% and only 1% on CPU. I can scrub avchd footage (60D footage) on the timeline smooth like butter. No jumpies nothing

GPU Accelerate render performance. MainConcept MP4 GPU

MainConcept MP4 GPU load 93% CPU load 14%
Sony AVC GPU load 38% CPU load 28%
Mpeg2 Blu ray GPU load 28% CPU load 87%

Most people says go with Nivida cards 5XXX. But I Prefered AMD for 2 reasons. 1) I am running 3 monitors in Eyefinity setup. 2) I want maximun timeline performance. A+ on video rendering, AMD card did very good for me, as you can see above.

Last edited by Bruce Phung; July 9th, 2013 at 12:14 PM.
Bruce Phung is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...