Is Deinterlacing Necessary in 1080 60i? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old November 23rd, 2013, 09:42 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Is Deinterlacing Necessary in 1080 60i?

So confused.

My camera shoots 1080p at 30FPS, but it's stored as a 60i stream.

So that means it's 60i, correct? As in interlaced?

But is it really interlaced or is it just progressive frames broken out into a 60i stream for storage? If the answer is yes, is deinterlacing necessary or proper in Vegas? I would think deinterlacing would not be necessary...

So very confused.
Norm Kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2013, 12:24 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Is Deinterlacing Necessary in 1080 60i?

Hi Norm. Its 30p stored as i. Vegas will identify it as i. You need set your project to p. In theory, deinterlacing should not be necessary. In practice, it's more complicated. There's dozens of explanations on forums as to why and why not this is so. I only know I used to have a HFS10. Unless I deinterlaced the (PAL) 25psf footage I got jaggies on fast action. Your mileage may vary.
Rainer Listing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2013, 12:24 AM   #3
Major Player

You may need change the field order to NONE (Progressive scan) in properties of the media.
Juris Lielpeteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2013, 01:36 AM   #4
Major Player

Not sure if this info helps you, but here it is anyway... My Canon camera shoots 25p and 50i, but stores both in a 50i stream.

If I shoot at 25p, I just tell my NLE that and I've never had any issues. But if I shoot at 50i, I get interlacing lines in fast moving shots so I need to deinterlace.

As above, your milage may vary depending on your NLE. I think most NLEs will deinterlace on the fly, it's usually once you've exported to a file/YouTube that the interlacing lines might make an appearance.
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2013, 01:17 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks, everyone, for the great replies!

It's one of those things where the rendered footage looks good the way I am rendering it, but then you're constantly second guessing yourself: "Can it be even better?"

You know what I mean?
Norm Kaiser is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...