End of the road? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 26th, 2014, 04:38 AM   #31
Major Player

Re: End of the road?

I always set up equal initial and maximum size of paging file.
Juris Lielpeteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2014, 07:34 AM   #32
Inner Circle

Christopher, have you had instability issues that were fixed by your adjustments? Your suggestions are age-old, good standard setup suggestions.

I have adjusted ram and turned off Windows themes, etc., but have not found much difference in how Vegas peforms for me. I do find a slight edge with a paging file in use. However I have ran without a paging file for months, having forgot to turn it back on, with little ill effect. Vegas runs a bit better with it on, but not significantly so. Maybe it depends on the plug ins one is using, I don't know.

I have ran with no paging file, windows default, and with a set paging file size, and the differences I have found are minimal.

I have never thought of Vegas as a ram intensive program. It's CPU intensive for sure. I have read here someone posting that Vegas is ram hungry. Can anyone verify this? When I check my ram usage while editing it seems ram usage is minimal.
Old April 26th, 2014, 08:49 AM   #33
Trustee

Jeff ~

What little stability problems I have had on the numerous boxes was improved with these settings. I must point out though that 95% of my Vegas experience has been on Asus MOBOs and the reason I have stuck with them is that the couple of times I went away from them I had unexplained hang / crash issues and the fault module causing the hangs wasn't necessarily Vegas. Usually some other .DLL or StackHash_xxx error was hanging the system. Not having either the time or knowledge to sort the issues I just went back to what worked, Asus MOBOs and Nvidia GTX cards.

Very recently a colleague friend completely rebuilt his system but with a new MOBO but same graphics card. The reason he swapped boards was that he wanted to build a Hackingtosh and try out FCP X. The new build had exactly the same OS, Win 7 Ultimate 64 SP1, same ram, same drives, same graphics card and drivers and the same software collection. He's running Vegas 12, Photoshop and AE and it has has done nothing but give him headaches with render crashes and strange timeline behaviour. Like the timeline will suddenly misbehave. An example, hit play and the audio plays but the video freezes and you can't move the cursor. BTW this was before he installed the Mac OS Maverick.

As you say the way I configure the systems is a well proven established pattern of doing things and I ask myself why wander off that path when it has given me so little grief. Most of my learning came building Discreet edit* boxes and once I had found a combo of hardware that worked I stuck to it. Building NLEs has always been a bit of a black art to me. In the middle of a biggish Physio training edit at the moment but once that is over it's time for v13 and hopefully the same stability.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Christopher Young is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...