DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   How to remove camera shadow? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/52614-how-remove-camera-shadow.html)

Ruben Pla October 11th, 2005 06:38 PM

How to remove camera shadow?

There is a camera shadow in a clip. It can't be cropped out since it's towards the middle of the frame. How would you recommend I remove it? It's a night-alley shot, so is there a way to expand the shadow and make it look like a bigger shadow that belongs, or should I blur it, or something else? Thank you.

Eric Brown October 11th, 2005 09:07 PM

Unless you have software that specifically can handle removal of this shadow, more than likely, it's a lost cause.
Any type of attempt to alter it by making it softer, larger, diffused, etc is going to make it worse or odd looking.
But I haven't seen the footage so I can't say for certain.
Your best choices are actually to either re-shoot or find a way to edit around it.

Matt Brabender October 11th, 2005 09:32 PM

You could try masking the shadow and playing with levels and colour correction (so the shadow is the only thing affected). The results will depend on the source footage of course.

DJ Kinney October 11th, 2005 11:45 PM

Yeah, I was going to say that I've had some luck changing signs in the background by:

1: doing a screen capture
2: open the capture in photoshop
3: create a fake sign that matches the original perfectly
4: overlaying the sign and keyframing it in the timeline.

Now, this has its limitations when someone passes in front of it.

How does this relate? You may be able to create a "patch" in photoshop and lay it over, though I have to say that matching the grain from a night shoot and negotiating the actors and other objects that might pass in front could be limiting.

Reid Bailey October 12th, 2005 07:26 AM

Do what DJ said.

We recently had to do the same for a boom mike that wasn't as concealed as we had thought.

But that's the idea. Grab a still without the shadow (if you have one) mask the layer and keyframe it in.

I've also had success using a masked blur via the keyframe as well.

If it's dark you may just be able to blur it out.

Ruben Pla October 12th, 2005 09:47 AM

Thank you all for your input. I appreciate it.

Reid, how would I go about using the "masked blur via the keyframe?" I'm not too familiar with that. Can you talk me through it? Thank you.

Saturnin Kondratiew October 12th, 2005 11:05 AM

how long is the take? what i usualy do is....take screenshots and import to photoshop and one by one take the shadow out..import the .bmps into the timeline and its good

Ruben Pla October 12th, 2005 02:06 PM

Thank you, Saturnin.

Can anyone tell me about the "masked blur via the keyframe" technique that Reid mentioned?

I apprecitate it.

Reid Bailey October 12th, 2005 02:20 PM

The last time I did it I using a very cheap entry level editor.
I just jumped in to Vegas and played with it real quick. I'm really sure there is a much better way in Vegas and hopefully someone will chime in.

Slice your footage in the Timeline into a nice manageable size.
Copy the "bad" segment and paste it in a new track directly above the current clip. (You can also do it below the clip just make sure your mask setting is for positive or negative).

On the top clip open up the event pan/crop settings and select the "mask" box along the key frame timeline. Then select the Anchor Creation tool and create a bezier mask around the bad part.

You'll have to change the Mode to Negative under the Mask path tools. And add a little feathering as well.

close that window. Nothing looks changed yet. Then jump down to the clip underneath it and apply a gausian blur and adjust it using the preview monitor. Play around with other blurs etc.

Now jump back up to the top clip and tweak the feather adjustments until its all nice and smooth.

Now you can add keyframes and move the bezier mask as the video moves along the timeline.

Did that make sense? Like I said, I'm sure there is a better way. But at least that is a "way".

Now that I think about you could just use a generated media clip below the masked clip and blur that, but that may look quite "right"..

Ruben Pla October 12th, 2005 02:30 PM

Thank you for all the great info, Reid. Unfortunately, I don't have a still withouth the shadow to put in there. Isn't there a way to just "blur" or further "shadow" the existing shadow so it blends in with the rest of the darkness in the shot (it's a night-alley scene.)

Any ideas?

Edward Troxel October 12th, 2005 02:51 PM

Is the shadow stationary? or does it move? i.e. is it the SAME background underneath it the entire time?

Can you post an image of it? Just a snapshot from the timeline so we can actually see what you're dealing with.

Ruben Pla October 12th, 2005 02:56 PM

Yes, the shadow is stationary and it's the same background the entire time. Also, no one crosses in front of it.

Would that make it easier to blur out or do you still need to see a snapshot?

Edward Troxel October 12th, 2005 03:00 PM

That should DEFINITELY make is easier to fix. Yes, I'd still like to see a snapshot.

Ruben Pla October 12th, 2005 03:05 PM

Great! Thank you. How do I post the image?

Ruben Pla October 12th, 2005 06:16 PM

By my last post I mean that, according to my user preferences, I don't have access to add attachments. Can that be changed? Or should I just sent you an email with the photo attached?