Vegas 6 worth the upgrade from Vegas 5 at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old February 10th, 2006, 05:02 AM   #1
New Boot
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 20
Vegas 6 worth the upgrade from Vegas 5

Hi Guys,

I'm getting a new editing/rendering computer soon. I was just wondering form those of you who have been using Vegas 6.0, is it worth it to upgrade from Vegas 5.0. I've been using Vegas 5.0 for about 1 1/2 years now and am pretty happy with it. I've heard 6.0 renders faster, but are there other major differences that make the upgrade worth it.
BTW, I'm not planning on doing any HD in the future.

Thanks,
Isaac
Isaac Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2006, 05:37 AM   #2
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Windsor, ON Canada
Posts: 2,765
I'd wait until NAB (mid April) as that's when Sony generally releases the newest version and there's usually a discounted upgrade price.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2006, 08:30 AM   #3
Sponsor: JET DV
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Southern Illinois
Posts: 7,873
Take a look at Vol 3 #2 of my newsletters. It talks about the major differences added to Vegas 6 and DVDA 3. Then you can make a decision based upon whether or not those features would help you. There were some additional features added in later releases too. For example, 6.0c added the ability to import from a DVD including DVDs with AC3 audio.
__________________
Edward Troxel [SCVU]
JETDV Scripts/Excalibur/Newsletters
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2006, 10:31 PM   #4
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Elgin, Illinois
Posts: 206
I'm still using version 5... there wasn't much in 6 to sway me to upgrade.
__________________
John Hartney
Elgin, Illinois USA
847.742.9321
John Hartney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2006, 07:14 PM   #5
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 508
Just wondering, what are the odds of a Vegas 7.0 this year?
Barry Rivadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2006, 08:18 PM   #6
Jubal 28
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Rivadue
Just wondering, what are the odds of a Vegas 7.0 this year?
If history is any guide, pretty good.
David Jimerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2006, 08:52 PM   #7
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 508
Thanks; following the usual history then, if it's announced in April, when would it be available? I'm kind of in a tricky situation where I might need to get 6.0 this spring, but I only would do so if I can then upgrade to 7.0 at nominal cost compared to the usual upgrade price, having bought it so soon near its release. Within what timeframe could the purchase of 6.0 work out like this?
Barry Rivadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2006, 06:22 AM   #8
RED Code Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Holland
Posts: 12,514
As always wait with the buy until you need it (or need to learn it), see what's available then (and proven to be stable for production work). It's all speculation at this point anyway.
__________________

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2006, 06:37 AM   #9
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 64
Given that this thread is in the DV Vegas forum, I wouldn't expect major changes concerning SD format from a version 7. But considering that a simple letter update from 6.0c to 6.0d incorporates the Mainconcept AVC/AAC H.264 encoder and the transition period we are in, it wouldn't surprise me to see a 6.0g and beyond update before Vegas 7 shows up.
Dionyssios Chalkias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2006, 11:23 AM   #10
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Grand Junction, CO
Posts: 61
I made the switch to V6 because I wanted to have the nested capability of pulling in numerous veg files into the timeline... Along with several other upgrades, I found the $200 upgrade price to be nominal for what I was getting in return -- but everyone's take on upgrades are different and it's ultimately up to you if you feel it's worth it.

You can download a trial of Vegas 6 to see if it's worth your time. In another forum I'm apart of, the scuttlebutt is that Sony is poised to make another announcement at NAB. Some have intepreted this as being a major Vegas announcement while others believe it's news concerning Acid and other software packages.

When V6 was announced, to be honest - I didn't see that much of a price drop of V5 until many months *after* the announcement - but I may remember that incorrectly....

Regards,
-Michael
Michael McGruder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2006, 12:19 PM   #11
Trustee
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Brookline, MA
Posts: 1,447
The inclusion of the Mainconcept H264 encoder is quite notable.
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2006, 06:33 PM   #12
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 508
I'll rephrase my question slightly--if I buy Vegas 6.0 now, and Sony happens to announce 7.0 in mid-April, would I qualify for a free (?) upgrade to 7.0, based on past history?

Decisions! Decisions! :D
Barry Rivadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2006, 08:44 PM   #13
Sponsor: JET DV
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Southern Illinois
Posts: 7,873
Barry, the answer is simple:

If you need the features in Vegas 6 - buy it now and don't worry about when a new upgrade may be available. If you don't need those features now, you can either buy now or buy later or not at all or wait for a future version. No one can tell you when the next version will be released nor can they tell you what period of time may get a free upgrade.
__________________
Edward Troxel [SCVU]
JETDV Scripts/Excalibur/Newsletters
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 08:35 PM   #14
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 508
All good advice, and thus I decided >yes<, it makes sense to move forward with 6.0, so I returned to the Sony website where the upgrade was going for $209. But today I found out it's back up to $249! ARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!! I didn't know it was a limited time sale, which probably ended on 2/28. This is swell. Anyone know when the next sale will be?
Barry Rivadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 08:52 PM   #15
Sponsor: JET DV
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Southern Illinois
Posts: 7,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Rivadue
This is swell. Anyone know when the next sale will be?
Umm.... same answer as before.
__________________
Edward Troxel [SCVU]
JETDV Scripts/Excalibur/Newsletters
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:27 PM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network