Vegas 7.0b update failure - at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 17th, 2006, 08:26 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Vegas 7.0b update failure -

Bought the B&H $99 deal on 6.0, then used that SN for the $149 upgrade to Vegas7+DVD - install went fine (new machine, most junk flushed out, Media Center Edition of XP)

Then I downloaded the updates for both Vegas and DVDA; when I tried to install the Vegas update, I got the message "CRC mismatch - abort [OK]" - I then re-opened Vegas, clicked Help-about, and found a blank where they wanted a serial # (I'd already given it in install??!?) so I filled that in, closed Vegas, and re-tried the update - same thing.

Apparently Sony's techs are too busy to answer an email in an 8-hour day, because I've still not heard back from them; I also searched the knowledge base and came up empty for that message.

Anyone else had this message? If so, can you enlighten me? I'd really appreciate it, as I told Sony I'm trying to get this workstation put together as quickly as possible so I can use it for a current project... Steve

Oh, did I mention that I HATE acronyms?
Steve Leverich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2006, 08:32 PM   #2
Major Player

Make sure you're installing the update to the same folder in which your existing 7.0 installation was installed. If that still doesn't work, try to uninstall the old version and reinstall with the new. Vegas updates are more than just patches, they're the entire program.
Old October 17th, 2006, 09:43 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Man, that was quick; thanks Jarrod, I'll give it a shot... Steve
Old October 17th, 2006, 11:41 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Removed all the Vegas stuff and did a system restore to just before the first install, then tried install direct from the 7b download - same thing. Then tried on another machine, same thing. Finally googled "CRC mismatch", and found out it stands for Cyclic Redundancy Check - usually caused by bad media. I'll be re-downloading the update tomorrow, hopefully it won't be corrupted this time... Steve
Old October 18th, 2006, 12:10 AM   #5
Major Player

That makes sense. Good luck. :)
Old October 18th, 2006, 07:44 AM   #6
Sponsor: JET DV

Yes, generally speaking CRC errors are caused by a bad download. Re-downloading will usually solve that problem.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2006, 11:38 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks Jarrod and Ed - I did re-download and the file now works - however, now I'm getting messages about SQL server during Mediamgr 2.2 install - kind of odd, because the FIRST time I installed 7 from disks everything went fine. It was only when I tried to upgrade that problems started, and now NOTHING works. I just restored to a point prior to all this, but need to hit the hay for tonite.

Hopefully tomorrow nite'll bring better things, I'd really like to do this next project in Vegas if possible, since it's my first 2-cam shoot... Steve
Old October 18th, 2006, 11:47 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Hi, I've got the same error message as you - "CRC mismatch". Took 6h30m to download 7.0b trial version yesterday. Looks like I'm going to have to download it again :-(
Old October 19th, 2006, 02:49 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Mine's installed properly now. Only took 45m to download this time.

Good luck with your install Steve
Old October 19th, 2006, 06:14 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Yeah, Grant, their site's really weird on speeds - tried last nite to dnl the DVDA update again (just in case the other one's corrupt too) and it was back down to around 9k a second, just after the Vegas update came in at around 80k - also, it's a good thing I found the CRC error info on my own, because Sony STILL hasn't returned an answer to my email. (Going on 3 days now)

That's one of the reasons I went to Vegas in the first place, I was tired of total apathy on the part of the SW "support". Hoping I didn't make a mistake on that choice... Steve
Old October 20th, 2006, 06:08 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Re-installed from disk after rolling back, still get message window titled "Microsoft SQL Server Desktop Engine", the message is "Setup failed to configure the server. Refer to the server error logs and setup error logs for more information."

Tried that and found about a 1000 page log - screw this. Gotta go to work, anybody have any grenades they're not using??!? Grrrr..... Steve
Old October 21st, 2006, 05:54 PM   #12
Regular Crew

It's now 4 days since I asked Sony for help, absolutely no response whatever other than an automated "we'll get to it as soon as possible" thing -

I've updated my findings on their "incident" site but doubt if anyone's listening.

Has anyone here had this problem with the SQL Server messages, and if so can you share the "fix"? So far, the only help I've gotten on this is from this forum. I'm hoping at least one of the members here has been through this and can offer suggestions for a solution since I'm running out of ideas, short of reformatting and installing a new, full version of XP Pro and starting over (my next plan)

Anyone? Need a system info dump for more info first? I can do that if it'll help... Steve
Old October 23rd, 2006, 03:01 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Question for the guru's - is there any reason why I MUST use the media manager, or can I just disable it in Vegas? This seems to be the only sticking point in this excercise in frustration, still no resolve. Tried multiple install/de-install's, roll-backs, regedits to remove all references to SQL, NOTHING works. Now the registration server doesn't even wanna talk to me, vegas gives me 30 days when I click on "register later", whatever...

Douglas, Ed, anybody with a CLUE - puhleeeze throw some ideas out there, I'm rapidly becoming borderline INSANE with this fiasco - can't understand why it has to be so (*&#* difficult.... Steve
Old October 23rd, 2006, 03:46 AM   #14
Inner Circle

when media starts to install, jsut hit cancel bro.. u dont need it if u have no use for it and IMO it slows things down considerably when it comes to fishing for ur morsels of material.

If u know how to plan your folders, u dont need media manager.. if u plan on reusing clips and archiving, then it may come in handy, but 80gb of mps, 200gbs of stock footage in MOV and AVI formal, 4 projects and 8 HDD's going all at once, and im yet to find a use for media manager..

u cana also disable media manager by going to options preferences and scroll down, and disable it from launching from there..
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2006, 05:30 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Thanks Peter, pretty much did just that after posting - no apparent ill effects, and like you I'm used to figuring out my OWN storage plans, so far so good. I went ahead and installed latest updates for both prog's along with Ultimate S, it's about 4:30 am here and I should go to bed before daylight, but having too much "fun" figuring out the differences between Vegas, Premiere and Magix Movie Edit Pro, the first NLE I started on early this year.

Still, it bugs me that a brand new machine with all latest XP updates can't find its arse with both hands - oh well, on to the quad cam learning experience. Thanks again for confirming that I won't burst into flames if I can't load the stubborn mm2.2/sql server stuff... Steve
Steve Leverich is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...