Vegas 7.0b update failure - - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 23rd, 2006, 08:03 AM   #16
Sponsor: JET DV

It is definitely NOT a requirement. Many people love it - many people disable it. Not sure why you're having installation issues. The usual first step is to see if you can start the service manually. However, media manager installation/starting issues virtually always have to be referred to tech support.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2006, 12:06 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Thanks Ed - I'm 99.9% sure this is a Micro-slop bug since I've found a few links to admitted boo-boo's; only problem is, there are several versions of MSDE/SQL Server depending on processor, build of windows, etc, and no "click here to fix" buttons - the one that sounded most like my symptoms didn't fix anything.

Apparently if you have an older version of SQL server installed and then a program tries to install a newer version (in some cases) you get this error.

As most are probably aware, Microsoft has OEM agreements in place with vendors so that if you buy your computer from Charlie's computer emporium, CHARLIE is your tech support; if you finally realize charlie doesn't know squat about computers and want Microsoft to help, you PAY. Did this - $35 and 2 hours later, Microsoft did no better than "charlie", I pulled an all-nighter and fixed that problem myself, and won't EVER go there again.

Hopefully Sony will get more of these incidents and eventually bring out a "fix" that checks for previous versions of SQL in places where it would be installed, and deletes these BEFORE trying to install over them - meantime, I lived without a media manager for about a year; as long as media manager can live without me, we'll BOTH be happy :=))

If this ever DOES get resolved, I'll post an update - meantime, thanks again guys... Steve
Steve Leverich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2006, 05:48 AM   #18
Regular Crew

On a more positive note - spent about half of today playing with this stuff, now have my choice of preview thru firewire to my 13" broadcast Trinitron, or to a second 19" LCD monitor, using Canopus TwinPact100 for this setup and loving it. Got the trinitron set up on color bars out of the Canopus, looks fantastic.

Had to increase the lag by 2 frames (total of 6) in preview to sync the sound. Got 1-1/2 hours on each of two cameras plus external audio track all captured and synced up, tomorrow (today actually) will install new versions of Sound forge and Noise reduction (audio needs quite a bit of tweaking to minimise background noise) - basically, life is good again, think I'm gonna like Vegas once I figure out how to do a few more things with it- NOT particularly missing media manager :=) Steve
Old October 25th, 2006, 01:20 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Just curious - has anyone here actually gotten an answer back from Sony's email support? It's been 8 days now and NOTHING.

On top of that, I paid for and downloaded upgrades to Sound Forge and NR plugin - tried to install Sound Forge and get a yes/no dialog box about SF needing Microsoft .net framework 1.1 - since I'd already installed version 2.0, I answered "no" - this ended the install with no other dialog, so I started over - this time I said "yes", it takes me to Microsoft's site where I can download v1.1, but WHY SHOULD I ??!?

I then searched Sony's "knowledge base" for ".net", and come up with nothing useful - no reason why SF 8 can't figure out that v1.1 is older than what I've already got on my machine.

Jeez, no WONDER I try to avoid upgrades for at least 5 years at a minimum :=(

Tomorrow I'm gonna find SOMEONE with a PULSE at Sony to talk to (if there's anyone who actually WORKS there) and see if they can tell me anything useful, besides "you have to PAY for phone support" - and I thought Magix was apathetic... Steve
Old October 25th, 2006, 03:06 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Steve, .NET Framework 1.1 and 2.0 are two different animals. Those of us who had Vegas 6 and now Vegas 7 have both of them on our machines as V6 required 1.1 while V7 requires 2.0. No problems with co-existence.

As far as email support from Sony, I had an issue some time back that took about as long to get the first response from Sony. After the initial suggestion for a fix though, subsequent responses were extremely quick.
I do agree with the feeling of a lack of support from them which is why I "solve" most of my issues with help from members on the various forums.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2006, 10:12 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Mike, thanks for sharing that - I was VERY hesitant about "torpedoing" my Vegas install, since it hadn't come easy, hence my reluctance to install an older version of ANYTHING Vegas needed to function.

I think I'm going to go ahead on the .NET 1.1 (got some fairly "forensic" editing to do on the audio tracks of the current project and could use the help from SF and the NR plug), besides I'm curious if Sony will EVER follow up on my original complaint without my nagging them.

If installing the older framework messes up the newer one, guess I can re-install the 2.0 version. Thanks again, wish me luck... Steve
Old October 28th, 2006, 10:35 PM   #22
Tourist

MS SQL Server problems with Media Manager in Vegas

Hi Steve,

I had the same problem, with the installation and with Sony support response. It was finally solved with the local distributor's help.

I had Business Contact Manager installed (Office 2003) on my PC. This program seems to write at the same registy address as does the Media manager, both writing different data though.

I have uninstalled the Business Contact Manager and Medai Manager works now fine.

Maybe this may help you. If not, look for some other programs using MS SQL.

George
George Dlouhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2006, 06:24 PM   #23
Regular Crew

George, thanks for the heads up - since my last post I've installed the Sound Forge/NR upgrades on my Toshiba laptop, then Vegas - no hitches whatsoever, including Media Manager (I still disabled it tho) - I'll look for Business Contact Manager, but that was a new machine that only offered a trial version of Office which I drug to the recyle bin (don't want ANY of Microsoft's office products on this machine)

I'm set up now with external firewire drives for most projects (with the option of an internal 10,000 rpm Raptor for more intense ones) and this seems to be working pretty good - I can open any .veg and work on it with either machine depending on where I am, simply by unplugging the associated external drive and putting it into my laptop bag, then when I get back plugging the drive into the faster machine with no hiccups - sweet.

Still tracing down resource hogs on BOTH machines, and I'll have a look for YOUR particular gremlin while I'm at it, thanks mate... Steve
Steve Leverich is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...