Decline in image quality from clip to dvd - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old February 15th, 2007, 02:47 PM   #16
Major Player

Why convert to SD in the Camera? Use Connect HD to convert HDV to the Aspect HD avi file format. Then edit that and output to the main concept mpeg encoder. This way you are only suffering through compressing your HDV footage one time. Maybe that's not the way your suppose to do it, but it seems that was the workflow recommended when I purchased Cinneform. I have had difficulties getting output up to snuff- especially with motion but the DVD's from this workflow- while certainly not HD quality (and never will be on SD DVD) look supperior to ones made from an SD DV camcorder originals. Color, detail, contrast, depth - are all better. Even with an SD DV camcorder, you could see a slight loss in resolution and an increase in compression artifacts on the mpeg-2 encoded DVD versus direct tape playback. However, with color coreection, editing, etc., the final DVD was still overall a better presentation. Anyways, Good Luck - PK
Paul Kepen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2007, 09:48 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Personally I think

the Main Concept Encoder is not up to par. I have seen other encoders products (TMPEC and Canopus Pro Coder) and I personally think the video is much better. Anyways... it cant come close to a regular .wmv 9 file at 6Mbs!! The wmv seems to retain its HD clarity, sharpness and color. Why doesnt some company start making windows media and or .mov "player"? That way pc`s and player would be all compatible, file sharing/watching simple and encoding for everyone simplified + get rid of the DVD encoding quality loss. Personally I have just been burning "data" DVDs with the wmv on it... that way I can present my product at its best instead of having to drop it to SD + a major (yes I think major) decrease in quality.
Carl Downs is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...