How is Vegas 7.0e working for you? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old May 22nd, 2007, 10:48 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Salsbury View Post
I wish there was an easy way to go back. I have a lightning fast machine that is now hanging or crashing every single day, and only in Vegas.
I have a suggestion that may or may not help.

Try deleting all the files in the Vegas Temp folder. I don't remember where the default location is because I use a different drive for it. It should be somewhere on the C: drive under the documents mess. ;)

Anyway, if you can't find it and if you have more than one drive then create a new folder for Vegas, I call it "Vegas 7 Temp" on a different drive and then when in Vegas options tell it to use the new folder on the new drive.

There may be some garbaged files in the temp folder causing problems to reoccur.

It's worth a try.

Danny Fye
www.dannyfye.com
www.vidmus.com/scolvs
Old May 23rd, 2007, 02:13 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Fye View Post
Do yourself a favor, do a complete backup of your current system before you install 7E. If for whatever reason there is a problem you can easily go back to what you now have as if nothing ever happened.
Good forward looking advice....gotta love forums.
James Hooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 03:21 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
I wish there was an easy way to go back. I have a lightning fast machine that is now hanging or crashing every single day, and only in Vegas.
This a bit off topic but I noticed that your website asks me something like if I want to install a Windows Media Player extension.

What does this consist of?

Without the extension your site does not look very good because there are red X's on your page including an area where it looks like a large picture should be. Also none of your demos will play.

I hate to say it but it kind of makes your site look bad.

I am very cautious and will not allow anything from any site to be installed on my computer. Even though your site most likely does not have a problem, I absolutely will not allow a site to install anything on my computer. I could say that a dozen times but I won't.

I looked on Microsofts page and found nothing to be of any help. I have noticed that a number of sites are asking me if I want to install Windows Media Player extensions and I can do so if I trust the site. Well, sorry, I don't trust any site.

I sincerely hope you don't take this in a negative way. Makes me wonder what happens if possible clients come to your site and see what I saw and then move-on.

Something to think about.

Danny Fye
www.dannyfye.com
www.vidmus.com/scolvs
Old May 23rd, 2007, 08:13 AM   #19
Major Player

Is anyone else seeing this? (www.legacyhdv.com) It's a typical wma file, so I would think if you couldn't play my site, you couldn't play any online wma. HELP PLEASE! I'm about to launch an ad campaign!

Let me segway back to topic. 7.0e was supposed to solve the issues we've been talking about, but it appears to make them worse. I have an important clip that causes a hang every time at 85%. Is that a bad capture somehow? I've got another clip that will not play sound after rendering though it plays sound just fine in Vegas. I am SO close to selling it for a Mac and FCP.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 11:25 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Is anyone else seeing this? (www.legacyhdv.com) It's a

typical wma file, so I would think if you couldn't play my site, you couldn't play any online wma.

HELP PLEASE! I'm about to launch an ad campaign!

Let me segway back to topic. 7.0e was supposed to solve the issues we've been talking about, but it appears to make them worse. I have an important clip that causes a hang every time at 85%. Is that a bad capture somehow? I've got another clip that will not play sound after rendering though it plays sound just fine in Vegas. I am SO close to selling it for a Mac and FCP.
I am trying to understand and figure out the problem you are having.

Are you trying to load AVCHD files? Are other files loading properly or is it just AVCHD files? This is important as it will help determine if the problem is just one type of file or all types.

I have sort of tried an AVCHD file but it was converted to m2t in some way that may not let me see the problem.

Do you have a short AVCHD that others and I can download and test to see if we have the same problem?

If you do, please use one that you are having problems with.

It gets very difficult when some are having problems and others are not. It may be that I am not having any problems because I am not using the type of file(s) that you are. I may actually have the problem and not know it.

As for your site, I can play wmv files with no problems. When I go to your site I get a red x where something should be and the question on top in yellow asking me,

"This website wants to run the following add-on: "Windows Media Player Extension' from 'Microsoft Corporation'. If you trust the website and the add-on and want to allow it to run, click here..."

Maybe is in the way your html is presenting it that causes the protection stuff in Internet Explorer to do this?

Another thing to note, I have to use a scroll bar at the bottom of the page to scroll horizontally to see all that is on the page. The dimensions you setup are not quite enough for the width.

I am using a res of 1680 by 1050 so that should be plenty for your page. Looks like a good page otherwise.

Anyway I hope you can provide a link to an AVCHD file so others and I can see what happens on our systems.

How arer you rendering the file that does not have sound? Are you using the DVD Architect template? If so, that would explain it because it is supposed to not include the audio and the audio portion is supposed to be rendered separately.

Danny Fye
www.dannyfye.com
www.vidmus.com/scolvs
Old May 23rd, 2007, 12:03 PM   #21
Major Player

Thanks for the reply Danny,

Try this: http://www.legacyhdv.com/webdemomaster.wmv
That's the short trailer that I use for the intro. I added the thing about adjusting sound because I don't like going to websites and hearing music. I'd rather have a second to turn down my volume. It's no secret coding -- just something I put in the clip.

The whole goal of the site is simplicity, so I may lose the volume thing.

I just fixed the scrolling thing. Let me know if it still adds a scroll bar.

The new Windows Media Player update is full of bugs, which makes me nervous about relying solely on wmv for playing vids. I like how it works on my comps, but if folks get a red x, I've got problems.

I'm looking into software to convert my wmv files to swf. Then I'll add a button for those who cannot see video. I'll just redirect them to the swf version of the same video. I hate to add it, as it adds confusion, but it looks like I have to -- unless I can code it to automatically redirect to swf if the wmv fails.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 12:41 PM   #22
Major Player

Getting back to the Temp directory/folder location..

In Windows Explorer (or in Start > Run (or Windows Logo Key + R)), type %temp% and hit enter.. Then you'll be in the temp directory/folder, wherever it's located, even if it's been changed. ;)

Now back to your problems..

Eric
Eric Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 01:15 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Thanks for the reply Danny,

Try this: http://www.legacyhdv.com/webdemomaster.wmv
That's the short trailer that I use for the intro. I added the thing about adjusting sound because I don't like going to websites and hearing music. I'd rather have a second to turn down my volume. It's no secret coding -- just something I put in the clip.

The whole goal of the site is simplicity, so I may lose the volume thing.

I just fixed the scrolling thing. Let me know if it still adds a scroll bar.

The new Windows Media Player update is full of bugs, which makes me nervous about relying solely on wmv for playing vids. I like how it works on my comps, but if folks get a red x, I've got problems.

I'm looking into software to convert my wmv files to swf. Then I'll add a button for those who cannot see video. I'll just redirect them to the swf version of the same video. I hate to add it, as it adds confusion, but it looks like I have to -- unless I can code it to automatically redirect to swf if the wmv fails.
The scrolling thing is fixed. I can play the video that you provided the link to just fine and it looks great! Most wedding sites are now using flash because of the quality and all. I don't because I want people to be able to download the video files to play them off line as well as online. I don't see a way that can be done with flash. May be there but I don't see it. I also haven't found a good way to create a flash video from Vegas.

I still need a link to an AVCHD file so I can test it with my system and see if I have a problem or not.

A good forum for Weddings is www.videouniversity.com/

Click on community forums.

Cost is $25.00 for one year and $40.00 for two years to post and see the private forums. Well worth it for those who do weddings!

I do mostly Church and theater videos so I don't benefit much from the forums. I use two Sony HC1 HDV cameras. I did have a very strange black frame problem with HDV and Vegas that seems to be at least partially cleared up with my new system. I still see the strange black frames but they no longer show up in the rendered files. I capture direct to hard drives using my two FS-4 HD's so the problem is not because of tape drop-outs.

HD and its growing pains, I need to take a long nap...

Hope this helps,
Danny Fye
www.dannyfye.com
www.vidmus.com/scolvs
Old May 23rd, 2007, 01:16 PM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Shepherd View Post
Getting back to the Temp directory/folder location..

In Windows Explorer (or in Start > Run (or Windows Logo Key + R)), type %temp% and hit enter.. Then you'll be in the temp directory/folder, wherever it's located, even if it's been changed. ;)

Now back to your problems..

Eric
I am referring to the Vegas temp folder not the system folder.

Danny Fye
www.dannyfye.com
www.vidmus.com/scolvs
Old May 23rd, 2007, 01:18 PM   #25
Major Player

Oh okay, sorry. :)

I usually set temp dirs for my apps to system temp dir. makes it easier to purge stuff and free up 10 gigs of drive space every so often.. ;)

Eric
Old May 23rd, 2007, 04:47 PM   #26
Major Player

Hi Danny,

I'm going to start a new thread on 'DVD and Web Video Delivery'. I'll meet you over there...
Old May 23rd, 2007, 08:23 PM   #27
Major Player

Back to this thread...I cleared the temp files and made sure the HD was totally cool, and BANG to the desktop. I've got five jobs waiting, but I'm looking at Macs tonight.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 08:42 PM   #28
Major Player

Dana, switching platforms is gonna be harder and more expensive.

Can you just try doing a clean Windows install and a clean 7.0d install and get your work done that way? (assuming uninstalling isn't working, etc)..

Your system worked at one point, so getting it back to that state with a clean Windows install should be quicker than buying a new Mac, setting it up, copying all the footage over, customizing settings, (learning software?), etc..

Just a thought..
Old May 23rd, 2007, 08:48 PM   #29
Major Player

Quote:
Back to this thread...I cleared the temp files and made sure the HD was totally cool, and BANG to the desktop. I've got five jobs waiting, but I'm looking at Macs tonight.
One more chance for Vegas.

Are you using 7e? Do you need to go back to 7b or 7d?

I have both 7b and 7d on my hard drive that I can send you. All you need to do is uninstall 7e and reinstall 7a from the Vegas CD and then use the 7b or 7d files from me to upgrade to either and that should solve your problems for now.

If you need either of these files, let me know and I can upload them to my page and give you a link to them.

I hope this is an ok thing to do. Please let me know ASAP if you need one of these files.

The 7b version is 134 MB and the 7d version also is 134 MB.

Even though I backup the boot drive and all I never know when I might find something not so good later on. So I keep the previous update files just in case.

It's too bad Sony doesn't keep previous update files online just in case as well. At least I have them.

Hope this helps.

Danny Fye
www.dannyfye.com
www.vidmus.com/scolvs
Old May 23rd, 2007, 09:00 PM   #30
Major Player

Update to my last post.

I just checked and I have all of the Vegas 7 updates. I have 7A, 7B, 7C, 7D and 7E all in one folder.

It sure does pay to keep those previous updates at times.

Danny Fye
www.dannyfye.com
www.vidmus.com/scolvs

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...