How is Vegas 7.0e working for you? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old May 23rd, 2007, 09:03 PM   #31
Major Player

That's kind of you Danny. I have the install disk, and can always do a system restore. I just cannot tell you how many problems I've had with this. I just quit my job to do videography full time and I want pro gear, but I think you're right that it would cost too much in time and money right now.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 09:05 PM   #32
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Fye View Post
It's too bad Sony doesn't keep previous update files online just in case as well. At least I have them.
They do. I mentioned it in a previous thread but I'll do it again.
Here's the main Sony download site and here's the link to the older versions of Vegas (5 through to 7d).
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 09:08 PM   #33
Major Player

You guys are seriously cool. I'll try the download to save time.

BTW Danny, I never answered you about the AVCHD. I actually rendered it as wmv. I think by AVCHD you are talking about MPEG-4, right?
Old May 23rd, 2007, 09:10 PM   #34
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kujbida View Post
They do. I mentioned it in a previous thread but I'll do it again.
Here's the main Sony download site and here's the link to the older versions of Vegas (5 through to 7d).
Thanks Mike.

I guess the link(s) is/are either hidden in plain site somwhere or I simply did not see it.

Danny Fye
www.dannyfye.com
www.vidmus.com/scolvs
Old May 23rd, 2007, 09:16 PM   #35
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Salsbury View Post
You guys are seriously cool. I'll try the download to save time.

BTW Danny, I never answered you about the AVCHD. I actually rendered it as wmv. I think by AVCHD you are talking about MPEG-4, right?
I am not sure if it is MPEG-4 or not because I am not familiar with AVCHD anyway.

I was needing an original AVCHD file so I could do a test on my system and see if I get a crash or not. This will help determine if the problem is due to Vegas or one's system and/or a combination of both.

Troubleshooting by way of elimination helps zero in on the cause of the problem and thus the solution.

Danny Fye
www.dannyfye.com
www.vidmus.com/scolvs
Old May 23rd, 2007, 09:17 PM   #36
Inner Circle

No problem Danny.
It was the Vegas 7.0e locking up computer- how to go back to 7.0d thread where I originally mentioned it.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 09:43 PM   #37
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Fye View Post
Do you have a short AVCHD that others and I can download and test to see if we have the same problem?
Try this link from the Doom9 forum for some AVCHD files.
It's the 2nd thread from the bottom of the page and max-pain is the poster's handle.
At least that's what they claim to be.
I grabbed the first one and it has an m2ts extension.
It's 10 sec. long and played back fine on my quad core.
A render to MPG (HDV 1080-60i template) took 16 sec. while a render to WMV (6 Mbps HD 720-30p Video, 5.1 Surround template) took 63 sec.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 11:39 PM   #38
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kujbida View Post
Try this link from the Doom9 forum for some AVCHD files.
I found the files on here.

http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=73357

They all load and play on my system with Vegas 7e.

I recently re-install Windows XP on my system because I recently built a new system.

I wonder what might be on Dana's system that is not on mine that might be causing the problem(s) other than Vegas 7e of course. Maybe an incompatible codec or something from another software?

I think the problem is not Vegas 7e but what either Vegas 7e is having problems with or something that is having problems with Vegas 7e.

Another thought is how the files I downloaded were captured vs what those who are having problems used to capture. Also what cam models, etc.

I wonder if the files I downloaded will work or not on Dana's system. It would be helpful to find out as part of the process of elimination.

Such is troubleshooting...

Danny Fye
www.dannyfye.com
www.vidmus.com/scolvs
Old May 24th, 2007, 08:29 AM   #39
Major Player

I have a clean install of XP Pro on my comp. I don't have any antivirus software, Windows update is off, I only use IE when I absolutely need it. Other than that I have Hdvsplit, Audacity, Lightscribe and VLC Media player (because Windows Media Player 9 won't play [Blockbuster] DVDs). I capture from either one of my FX1s.

Every now and then I have problems playing a wmv on my web site where it plays the first frame of the clip and that's all you get. It makes me wonder if the clip is corrupt or something else is going on.

Once I get back to 7.0d I'm going to finish these projects and then convert my WMVs to FLVs through RITA (http://www.rivavx.com/index.php?encoder&L=3). That way users can choose.
Old May 24th, 2007, 09:32 AM   #40
Major Player

I don't know why it is, but it appears there are at least a few of us who have trouble building audio peaks when upgrading to 7.0e. My computer locked up at anywhere from 62% to 95% when building peaks using 7.0e. I started another thread here and was able to go back to 7.0d with Mike's help, and the problem went away. Maybe it is something about how our machines are configured, or that we all have the same conflicting software or hardware. But it is a problem, and I hope Sony figures it out before the next update, since I would like to continue to install and use their updates. In looking at their notes on the Sony website, the update was supposed to fix this problem, and instead for me it introduced this exact problem where I'd had no trouble up until then. I let them know about the problem, but their workaround wouldn't work for me. They suggested I change the imported files from .m2t to .avi, but since I use elecard to view the files, I really don't want to start changing file extensions. I hope someone beyond tech support reads our emails, so they know they have created a problem. It is definitely easy enough to go back to the previous version, though, and everything works just fine again, luckily. Thanks again, Mike!

Ruth
Ruth Happel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2007, 02:10 PM   #41
Major Player

Quote:
Other than that I have Hdvsplit, Audacity, Lightscribe and VLC Media player (because Windows Media Player 9 won't play [Blockbuster] DVDs). I capture from either one of my FX1s.

Every now and then I have problems playing a wmv on my web site where it plays the first frame of the clip and that's all you get. It makes me wonder if the clip is corrupt or something else is going on.
Your post reminds me of a problem I had with HDV files using an earlier version of Vegas. And it was while building the audio peaks.

What would happen is somewhere around 60-80% the process would seem to stall and the computer would seem to be locked up. If I tried to abort it, it would take some effort and then Windows would want to send an error report to Microsoft.

If I left it alone and let it go for a long time, it would eventually finish and unlock-up the computer and the file would then be loaded. However, if I were to zoom out of the timeline in the area where the problem is, at the right zoom level I would see red frames instead of what the video should be. That part of the video was corrupt.

If I then tried to scroll through that portion of the video then Vegas would lock-up real bad and crash big time.

My video was captured direct to to hard drive using the Focus Enhancements Firestore FS-4. So there were no tape dropout problems that could cause this corruption.

So basically the file had become corrupted somewhere between 60 - 80% of it for whatever reason. So I would carefully edit out that portion of it and use what I had from camera 2 in it's place.

How all this relates to the problem(s) that others are having with 7e I am not sure but in your case you may be getting some file corruption causing playback problems with your wmv files. If that is the case it would seem that flash would not solve it.

As for me, I quit using HDV with the Church services and am using widescreen SD AVI.

I still use HDV with the theater videos though because I can touch-up the framing a bit with Vegas.

I do have a problem with mysterious black frames. I would play the video on the timeline and see a split second of black on the preview but if I zoom all the way in on the timeline they are not there they would loom normal even though they were not. I could edit out 2 frames at that location and then it would quit.

With my old system those black frames would show in the rendered file. It was a nightmare having to litterally stare at the preview to watch for those black frames. With my new system they are still there but now it gets even more wierd because I can change the size of the preview window and sometimes they would show and other times they wouldn't. Also they would change locations on the video. The only good new is that they no longer show in the rendered file.

I do know that in my case the problems with the building of peaks was because of file corruption. For those who have problems with 7e, it may be the way the files are captured and what camera was used that causes Vegas 7e to trip over them so to speak.

Looks like the fix in 7e maybe didn't quite do the trick. Even so, I can't blame Sony because this is among the category of wierd problems that are difficult to solve.

I hope someone can make sense of all I just said and I hope it will help lead to a solution.

Why are you using Hdvsplit? Vegas can detect scenes. Or are you just wanting smaller files? That may be a source of at least part of the problems you are having.

Danny Fye
www.dannyfye.com
www.vidmus.com/scolvs
Old May 24th, 2007, 02:54 PM   #42
Major Player

I use hdvsplit when Vegas has problems either capturing or detecting my FX1, which is fairly often.
Old May 26th, 2007, 11:52 AM   #43
Major Player

I went back to 7.0d and tried it - it failed once again. After a few commands in Vegas it kicked to the desktop. I tested with the same results several times. I'm at a loss.

Because we're full-time now, I feel like I need to have a stable system. I can't imagine that it would take too long to learn FCP, and I can always use the PC as a (weak) backup.
Old May 26th, 2007, 12:31 PM   #44
Major Player

Quote:
I went back to 7.0d and tried it - it failed once again. After a few commands in Vegas it kicked to the desktop. I tested with the same results several times. I'm at a loss.

Because we're full-time now, I feel like I need to have a stable system. I can't imagine that it would take too long to learn FCP, and I can always use the PC as a (weak) backup.
I think the answer is in your previous reply when you said, "I use hdvsplit when Vegas has problems either capturing or detecting my FX1, which is fairly often."

If you are having problems capturing then the captured files will have problems and thus Vegas will have problems with them.

I think you may have already mentioned it but how long has it been since you have done a full and clean install of Windows XP?

Also, you may have a problem with the firewire card or whatever firewire port that is built in to the motherboard.

I know that the devices that I have such as the FS-4 HD's are very picky about which card I use.

One unit works great with card A and the other works great with card B.

I can get the unit that works great with card A to work most of the time in card B but the unit that works great in card B will not work at all in card A.

While this is with the FS-4 HD's it may also hold true with different camera. There are tolerances in all devices and if one is towards one end of the spectrum and the other is towards the other end then they will not work well if at all.

So I find it difficult to blame Vegas until you solve your capture problems first. Also, if there are other problems such as hardware and/or software conflicts then those can cause all kinds of problems as well.

If it works well for one, it should work well for all.

I can capture m2t from tape and have the scenes split properly and everything.

Now, if you go to the Mac, all the problems you are having may very well go away. Reasons would be a different firewire port that is more compatible with your cameras and/or no conflicts in hardware and/or software. Then again it may not and you still have the learning curve as well.

As a last ditch effort for Vegas and the PC, I would suggest you get get a different firewire card or one that can be used instead of what is built into the motherboard and do a test to see if that works or not. If not, get another hard drive that you can do a test re-install of Windows XP on and see if things work then.

You can't solve problem A while you have problem B that may be causing/contributing to problem A.

Danny Fye
www.dannyfye.com
www.vidmus.com/scolvs
Old May 26th, 2007, 12:59 PM   #45
Major Player

>how long has it been since you have done a full and clean install of Windows XP?

It has only been a month.

I'm going to get a new capture card today -- good call. What you said also gave me an idea to try rendering on the laptop that I captured it on.

Thank you so much.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...