"Shell Shocked" sound effect...? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old June 1st, 2007, 04:21 PM   #1
Regular Crew

"Shell Shocked" sound effect...?

In various war movies, and video games for that matter, when a soldier gets hit hard by say, a grenade, they go down, the video gets blurry, and the sound gets almost muted. How would I go about making audio in my Vegas timeline sound like this?

Shell shocked may not be the right phrase, but hopefully you get my gist.

Thanks for the help,

SB
Steven Bills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2007, 04:31 PM   #2
Major Player

Can you maybe post a sample of the kind of effect you're talking about? I can almost hear it in my head, but not quite.
Old June 1st, 2007, 05:02 PM   #3
Major Player

Like in Saving Private Ryan when Tom Hanks gets "spell shocked" right? The last fight when he's down, shooting his sidearm at the tank...the sound is somewhat muted, then the tank blows up and you think it was his pistol that did the trick, but then you see planes overhead dropping bombs.
Alex Thames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2007, 05:04 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Well, I don't know where I could find an example, but I know that it's in the TV series Band of Brothers, the video game Call of Duty, and the movie Black Hawk Down.

If that helps any...
Old June 1st, 2007, 05:05 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Thames View Post
Like in Saving Private Ryan when Tom Hanks gets "spell shocked" right? The last fight when he's down, shooting his sidearm at the tank...the sound is somewhat muted, then the tank blows up and you think it was his pistol that did the trick, but then you see planes overhead dropping bombs.
I haven't seen Saving Private Ryan, but from your description, yes, it sounds right.
Old June 1st, 2007, 05:24 PM   #6
Major Player

It sounds to me like all you'd really need to do is roll off the upper-mid and high-frequencies. Granted, I still don't know exactly what you're looking for, but it sounds like an EQ thing based on what I can guess.
Old June 1st, 2007, 05:26 PM   #7
Major Player

I would say take out the high and mid frequencies, then bring the levels down. Just making it quieter won't really help. You might also try a compressor effect (not familiar with Vegas, but it probably has audio filters. Try compressor or limiter.) You want to make it sound like the person has lost his or her hearing temporarily from an explosion. You might also want to add a long beeping sound every so slightly when the person's hearing is coming back (because their ears are ringing.)
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2007, 12:25 AM   #8
Old Boot

I was watching, again, and being moved once again, by Saving Ryan . . what I do remember was the subtle but effective use of, I think, gently reversing a kinda Doppler-shift in the audio as objects came closer and, as has been said, over time bringing-in from muffled mids to brights. The sequence where the landing group is either drowning or struggling to get back to the surface AS the bullets zip and ping through the water about them. This was done over a very short sequence, you wouldn't want to dwell on it too much, otherwise the effect OF the effect just becomes annoying. Meaning you would need some visually entrancing footage to carry it off.
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2007, 01:49 AM   #9
Inner Circle

If it's the 'deaf as a result of a grenade going off next to your ear' effect you're looking for then Edward's suggestion sounds good to me (lose high and mid frequencies using EQ and bring overall levels down to muffle the sound). If you have a wah wah effect then that also might do the trick (obviously with it in a fixed state - not 'talking'). Some EQs have a 'telephone box' or 'next door noisy neighbours' preset which would do a good job here - don't think Vegas does though, sorry, you'll have to experiment with the EQ settings.

I would also try adding a very high pitched tone into the mix (a tone generator or one of the really basic presets in a software synth should do the trick - here's a selection of free ones from the excellent KVR Audio site:

http://www.kvraudio.com/get.php?mode...&sort=1&rpp=15

Sorry - just seen Edward also suggested that! Still, the link to the free synths might be of use!
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2007, 09:06 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll try it out this weekend and see (er, hear) how it goes.

SB
Steven Bills is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...