Vegas Video discussions from 2004 (Q3Q4) - Page 39 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old August 19th, 2004, 02:08 PM   #571
Sponsor: JET DV

I have never seen them offer an update CD. Do you have any friends with high speed internet and a cd burner? I'm dial-up at home as well. That's why I download the larger files like this on our DSL line at work. Then I burn the current installs on a CD which I can use at home.
Old August 19th, 2004, 02:34 PM   #572
Regular Crew

Yeah I can have someone else DL it for me, just thought I would ask if Sony had one available. I really need to get out of the dial up dark ages one of these days...

One more Q, does the update fix anything major in V5?

Thanks!

Shane
Old August 19th, 2004, 03:11 PM   #573

Notable Changes/Fixes in Version 5.0b

An Import audio at project tempo check box has been added to the Audio tab of the Preferences dialog. When this check box is selected, ACID loops are automatically stretched to match the project tempo (specified on the Ruler tab of the Project Properties dialog) when you add them to the timeline or preview from the Explorer window. When the check box is cleared, tempo information is ignored.
A bug has been fixed that caused the Explorer window to lose its Favorites settings if the list was too long. Favorites are now saved in the following file: C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Sony\Vegas\5.0\ExplorerFavorites.txt. The file is saved whenever you close the Explorer window or exit the application. You can copy the file to different computers or user accounts to migrate Favorites settings.
To see this file, you must have the Show hidden files and folders radio button selected on the View tab of the Folder Options Control Panel.
The Vegas Network Render Service no longer uses a unique installer. You can install Vegas software on up to three computers (your main editing computer and up to two renderers). You must use the same information (serial number and registration information) on all computers.
If you need to purchase additional licenses, please contact our Customer Service department.
You no longer need to save your project before using network rendering. Before network rendering begins, a copy of your project — in its current state — will be saved in the shared output folder for use by the renderers. This version will have all media paths remapped based on the Network Render Service file mappings.
The Vegas Network Render Service can now set file mappings automatically. Right-click the File Mappings tab and choose Auto-Fill File Mappings from the shortcut menu.
Markers for each MPEG elementary stream are now saved as an .sfl file.
The MPEG reader now correctly reads the first frame of MPEG files rendered by Vegas. This also corrects an off-by-one frame A/V sync problem when reading MPEG files.
You can now render QuickTime files with frame sizes up to 2048x2048. Previous versions of the QuickTime plug-in were limited to 800x600.
A bug has been fixed that prevented the Edit Details window from updating correctly when using the Select Events to End command.
A bug that could cause a crash when right-clicking with the Envelope tool in empty timeline space has been fixed.
The Video Preview window now updates correctly when using the arrow keys to nudge the selection box in the Event Pan/Crop dialog.
A bug has been fixed that prevented the Width and Height controls in the Event Pan/Crop dialog from handling pixel aspect ratio correctly.
A bug has been fixed that prevented the toolbars in the Event Pan/Crop window from drawing correctly in Windows XP SP2.
A bug that prevented Event Pan/Crop changes from invalidating prerendered video has been fixed.
A bug that prevented Hold keyframes from holding their settings has been fixed.
A bug has been fixed that prevented interaction between 3D tracks that were separated by an empty 2D track.
You can now move the selection box in the Track Motion window using the arrow keys on your keyboard.
Slow and fast keyframe types are now listed correctly in the Track Motion shortcut menu (slow and fast behaviors were reversed in previous Vegas 5 releases).
The Sync Cursor button in the Track Motion window now retains its setting when the window is closed and reopened.
A Sharp keyframe bug has been fixed in the Track Motion and Pan/Crop windows.
A bug has been fixed that prevented 2D glow on a parent track from being applied if the parent track contained no media or track motion.
A bug has been fixed that could cause a crash when adding 3D transitions to PAL media in a PAL project.
A bug has been fixed that caused video event effects to be added as track effects when dropped on the cursor.
Choosing Show Envelopes from the View menu lo longer toggles track keyframes.
A bug has been fixed that caused gapping when recording audio under specific conditions.
A bug that caused waveform gaps in temporary peaks during recording has been fixed.
A bug has been fixed that prevented adjustments to the Master Fader on the Mackie Control Universal from being applied to the master bus in the Vegas mixer.
You can now assign the F1 through F8 keys on the Mackie Control Universal to custom functions.
The Configure Mackie Control dialog (Preferences > External Control & Automation > double-click Mackie Control entry in Active control devices list) now includes an Emulated Mackie Control Device device type. You can use this mode to configure the Mackie Control Universal when the device is not connected or turned off, or you can configure another controller that emulates the Mackie Control Universal MIDI messages. Please refer to your device documentation for emulation information.
Simple transport SYSEX support has been added for generic MIDI controllers to allow you to configure transport functions on a generic controller. Note that generic SYSEX support is not included.
Old August 19th, 2004, 03:36 PM   #574
Regular Crew

Holy rusted metal Batman!

Cool, now I can use my arrow keys in the pan/crop box, I really missed that.

Thanks Edward!
Old August 20th, 2004, 12:11 AM   #575
Regular Crew

Removing Noise

I have Vegas+DVD. I'm trying to remove noise from a recording in vegas.

I want to view a real-time audio EQ so I can see the frequencies to remove in order to get rid of this noise problem.

Any help on viewing an EQ in the program is appreciated!

Thanks,

-Jonathan
Old August 20th, 2004, 12:58 AM   #576
Major Player

Press Ctrl-Alt-1. In the dialogue, select audio and then All. You'll see the long list of Sony's audio plug-ins for Vegas. There are 4 different EQs, track EQ, paragraphic EQ and parametric EQ and graphic EQ. Click-drag one of them and drop it on the Track FX button on your audio track head. The dialogue will open and you can adjust at will, or select a preset.
You can drop as many instances of the FX as you like, if you the one doesn't do what you want.
But if you have big noise problems, EQ may not be the best solution. Look into Sony Noise Reduction. It's great value.
Old August 20th, 2004, 01:06 AM   #577
Regular Crew

Thanks for the advice. Just one thing... I may have confused the issue. I'm looking for how to turn on a moving spectrum so I can see the frequencies coming from my speakers.

Thanks
Old August 20th, 2004, 01:49 AM   #578
Trustee

I downloaded the demo version of the software. I have to admit it was seriously impressive! Though to make effective use of it I'll also need to buy myself a new laptop as well.
Old August 20th, 2004, 07:48 AM   #579
Regular Crew

Can anyone answer my question? Simply is there a spectrum analyzer (if that's the right term) built into Vegas that I can turn on to see the sound response through the frequency range.
Old August 20th, 2004, 09:27 AM   #580
Tourist

Import video/audio from DVD

I have material on a rendered DVD that I need to include in a new project. How can I use the material without recapturing the video output? Or can I?

THanks,

Rusty
Old August 20th, 2004, 09:36 AM   #581
Major Player

Versions 4 and 5 Compatability

I would have searched this, but it doesn't seem to be working for me right now...

Can anybody attest to the compatability, or lack thereof, between the two versions? I know they're designed to be so, but software isn't always friendly, even when written to be.

Also, is there any reason to keep Vegas 4 on a PC after installing 5? Was there any feature foolishly left out of 5, that was in 4, or any other reason to leave it?

Thx in advance for any replies...
Old August 20th, 2004, 09:50 AM   #582
Old Boot

Comparison Chart Vegas 4 <> 5
http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.co...FeatureID=7644

Grazie
Old August 20th, 2004, 09:59 AM   #583

The two versions are totally independent from each other. I have both versions installed on a couple of machines. Either can be used on those machines. It does not matter if you uninstall Vegas 4 before installing Vegas 5, after installing Vegas 5, or simply leave it on the machine.
Old August 20th, 2004, 10:25 AM   #584
Major Player

Is there any real advantage to leaving 4.0 on a machine though? Edward, you said you use both versions on a couple of machines. If you have 5, what are you doing in version 4 that is easier/better, that makes you save it?
Old August 20th, 2004, 10:28 AM   #585
Old Boot

You can open V4 projects in V5 BUT you can't open V5 in V4. So once a V4 project is openned and SAVED in V5 that is it! You cannot open back in V4.

Why to keep both on machine? Ok supposing you are updating from V5a to V5b - like I did - I still had the option of working on NEW projects in V4 IF the update wasn't taling. Using the last or previous VERSION is a very good "safety-net" . . just in case .. yes?

.. ok one thing I miss from V4 is the pan crop arrow track showing me where the frame of video has come from and in what direction it will nbe going . ..

BUT one of the many many values for me in V5 has to be the creation of Subclip on the fly! MArevellous! .. THEN the 3d stuff and the PArent Child overhaul . . ..

.. . Grazie
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...