Black and White and Color at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 20th, 2004, 09:01 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Black and White and Color

Is there a filter out there or a way I can make my movie black and white except for certain colors like red or blue? If anyone has seen Schindler's List I am referring to the girl in the red coat. Is there a way that that effect can be achieved with Vegas 5? Thanks.

Mitch
Mitch Buss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2004, 09:24 PM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

Mitch, check out the most recent issue of my newsletter. The link is below my name.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2004, 09:50 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Edward thank you SO much. This looks awesome now!

Mitch
Mitch Buss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2004, 12:37 PM   #4
Tourist

Edward,

Newbie here, I checked out your newsletter about the “Schindler’s List” effect and tinkered around with it on Movie Studio last night… but I couldn’t seem to get it to work. Anyway, I’m wondering if this color pass thru effect is possible with Movie Studio using just one color to pass thru the B&W? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Bradd Stoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2004, 01:46 PM   #5

I don't know what tools Movie Studio has. If it has the secondary color corrector you SHOULD be able to do a single color. I know Movie Studio doesn't have enough power for the multiple colors doing it the way I presented.

For the single color, simply do:

1. Add the secondary color corrector to the clip
2. Click on the “Select Effect Range” eyedropper and pick the color to keep.
3. Click on “Invert Mask”
4. Click on “Mask” and use the “Limit” tools to adjust the mask to the correct area.
5. UNCheck “Mask”
6. In the top section, change “Saturation” to 0.

If Movie Studio doesn't have that tool, you'll have to find a way to create the necessary mask.
Old December 21st, 2004, 03:49 PM   #6
New Boot

There is probably an easier way to do this, but I overlayed a multiples track and made the bottom one color. The top was B&W, and I used cookie cutter to cut around the image I wanted to stand out. In this case a bouquet of flowers. You have to key frame some if the subject moves around a lot, but you get pretty good results.

Here is an example I did. Just a still from the video
http://photos.txucom.net/albums/album13/aaj.jpg
Brent Kovar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2004, 04:19 PM   #7

That technique will work fine if you have a small area that one of the cookie cutter shapes can cover. If you have an less defined area, then you will end up with other segments that also have color or some sections that should have color but don't. The mask method is more precise. However, both will work fine.
Old December 22nd, 2004, 02:02 PM   #8
Tourist

Edward and Brent, thanks for the advice. Although I still can’t get it to work, though. Movie Studio doesn’t have a Color Corrector (or I can’t find it), so it is kinda hard to go about doing it with that method. The only time I can find and use a mask is thru the Chroma Keyer on the Green/Blue Video FX screen. I’ve clicked on a tutorial (? mark thing) about a “Mask Generator” but I can’t seem to be able to find or use it. Could somebody walk me thru accessing that? Or is it even assessable with Movie Studio? Would the Mask Generator help with this pass thru effect? Also, would somebody that’s tried the single color pass thru on Movie Studio be able to point me in the right direction to accomplish this small editing feat for me. Thanks for your help.
Bradd Stoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2004, 03:46 PM   #9
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Edward Troxel : Mitch, check out the most recent issue of my newsletter. The link is below my name. -->>>

Hey Ed I tried to join your forums, so that i could alo subscribe to your newsletter, but i couldn't find a new member thing on your page? Can you help me out, thanks.
Old December 25th, 2004, 09:01 PM   #10

Just go to Login and it should allow you to enter a new user name and password. I'm apparently having some problems right now with the site, though. I'm checking with tech support. When you try to open an actual post it is giving an error message. Hopefully it will be cleared up soon.
Old December 25th, 2004, 09:44 PM   #11
Regular Crew

It might be that virus that is going around. Apparently it exploits anyone using phpBB... Damn h4x0rs! Their is an update available from their homepage (phpBB) which fixes the exploit.

Ok I've clicked on Log In, and entered a username and password. I get back that i've entered an invalid username, and then I don't see anything to register a new account. Not sure if I'm just blind... or what...
Old December 25th, 2004, 10:05 PM   #12

Ok, I have more information available. Apparently version 2.0.10 or lower of phpBB has an exploit that was recently found so my host shut off part of my site to protect me (which is a GOOD thing, really) The current version 2.0.11 has supposedly fixed this problem and I am currently downloading it. I will try to get everythinge updated as quickly as possible and am aiming for completion either tomorrow or Monday (it's getting dangerously close to bedtime right now). Sorry for the problems but I am striving to get everything back to fully functional as quickly as possible.
Old December 26th, 2004, 06:13 AM   #13

I got it updated to 2.0.11 last night but it still didn't work. Shortly after I went to bed my host found the problem and fixed it. All should be working now.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...