Vegas Video discussions from 2004 (Q3Q4) - Page 40 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old August 20th, 2004, 10:33 AM   #586
Sponsor: JET DV

Actually, I said I *HAVE* both installed - didn't say I *USE* both. At this point I am strictly using 5 unless I'm helping someone who is using Vegas 4 and need to trade VEG files. (Also, I just haven't gotten around to removing 4 yet - plus it's not hurting anything sitting there).
Old August 20th, 2004, 10:46 AM   #587
Major Player

AHHH HA! That's what I wanted to hear! :) . I am running a little low on room on the drive where I install programs, and wanted to dump 4 if I could, now I know that I really won't be losing anything by doing that. Thx for your speedy replies, Edward, and for all you've given the Vegas community.

PS - I was a Vegas guy, then got into Premiere because of its integration with AE and Photoshop (and liked the similarities to FCP), THEN, I picked up Vegas 4 again and remembered how awesome the audio control is, and figured with all the hoopla over version 5, and my newfound need for 24P and HD, Vegas might be the way to go again!...sorry so off topic...
Old August 20th, 2004, 11:05 AM   #588
Regular Crew

A simple method

There is a simple method to achieve very impressive effect if your two "instances"s do not overlap each other.

In other words, instance A never stands between the camera and instance B and vice versa.

To achieve this, shoot both performances being careful to preserve the environment and make sure the instances would not throw shadows upon each other.

Then put the 2 performances in timelines above each other.

Using masking in Vegas you can dynamically change the "split screen" area so that instance A can go deep into instance B's part of the screen (as long as you keep the non-overlap condition)

This way you'll avoid the static half-screen performances which give away this type of effect.

In the case of both sitting on a couch, you can have A stand for a second reaching for a newspaper and B quickly put a pie on his seat (effectively reaching in the other part of the screen , WHILE it is being unoccupied.)

Ofcourse, you can go the path of chromakeying which has its drawbacks of needing a controlled environment.

I personally would rather have the subjects act in a natural and complex environment and choreograph their actions carefully.

Regards,
-- Andre
Old August 20th, 2004, 11:40 AM   #589
Major Player

No.
Old August 20th, 2004, 11:50 AM   #590

get the Sony Noise Reduction plugin and/or Sound Forge. It will give you this visualization.
Old August 20th, 2004, 11:55 AM   #591
Regular Crew

I just ordered DV Rack from seriousmagic after using the demo for a few weeks. It's great in my chromakey studio. I especially love the direct to disk option with immediate scrub/preview and all the tools to help calibrate the camera. I know immediately if my shots work or if I need another take.

The company also has excellent support.
Old August 20th, 2004, 12:00 PM   #592
Trustee

Yes. When I downloaded the demo they even assigned someone to me to answer questions.

Now, I will most probably buy the software. But the problem is at the moment I won't be able to make the most of it on a shoot, especially at exterior locations, because I haven't got a laptop I can easily take around with me. :-(
Old August 20th, 2004, 12:57 PM   #593
Inner Circle

Waves makes a frequency analysis plug-in. ?SpectraFoo? also makes such a plug-in but it's very different. It plots frequency, time, and volume on a graph.

Cool Edit Pro and Audition have a frequency analyzer built-in.

You do not need a frequency analyzer type program/plug-in for noise reduction however, and your money is probably better spent on a noise reduction plug-in.

For infromation on noise reduction, check out:
http://www.digitalpostproduction.com...e.jsp?id=25455
The Art of Noise Reduction
Old August 20th, 2004, 01:47 PM   #594
Major Player

Video capture utility "avail. time" error

OK, brought a new drive online, and whereas the Vegas Video Capture utility reads an internal drive that has 108 gigs left on it as having 7 hours available, the new firewire drive which has 490 gigs left on it, is only showing a little more than 12 hours available. What the heck? The drive is empty. Any hints on where to look to track down what's going on? The system can read this size drive just fine as I filled up its twin already (which is now working fine after previous crashes once I placed an external fan to blast away at it). No clue what the heck is going on with this one now though. (sigh)

I'm hesitant to start filling it if it's doing something funky. OTOH, I'm in a real time crunch, so having it down and unavailable for even a few hours is a major problem.

Thoughts?
Marcia
Old August 20th, 2004, 01:57 PM   #595
Sponsor: JET DV

What does Windows Explorer report as the free drive space? When you select that drive for capture, does the Vidcap Preferences show the full amount? I suppose it is very possible that Vidcap has a 12 hour limit on what it shows as free space. Try capturing on it and see if it stays at 12 hours for the first 25 hours.
Old August 20th, 2004, 02:22 PM   #596
Major Player

Edward, Windows shows 467 gigs available. Vidcap preferences shows 490.23 (99%) gigs, which is part of what was driving me crazy as it reads only 12+ hours of capture time. Maybe you're right and it has an upper limit that then resets the time avail. as it fills. In all honesty, I hit the house after being gone most of 8 weeks in such a state of exhaustion (from production) that it's possible that the first 500 gig drive said the same thing when I fired it up and first began capturing to it, but that I was so wiped out I didn't notice.

Think I'll take the chance and start capturing. Will keep you posted. Thanks for the lightening fast response!
Marcia

P.S. Couldn't find anything that helped on the Sony site, but sometimes with the Knowlede Base I find that things are in there but that I'm not asking the right question. Maybe this is a "known" limitation?
Old August 20th, 2004, 03:50 PM   #597
New Boot

Help! Blurred titles and FX

Hi.

I put several text titles on black background (using the media generator) on my project. Then added an invert FX on a clip. Everything looked ok.
I saved it, opend it up today and all the titles were blurred (as if looking at the words without glasses) and the invert effect was pixelated.
Anyone knows what's going on?

(the project is 24p - shot on a dvx100)
Old August 20th, 2004, 05:42 PM   #598
Regular Crew

Is your preview quality set to "Best"? Sometimes having your preview quality set lower will make titles look terrible.

"I like Mankato just a little bit better than any other town in the world." -Sinclair Lewis
Old August 21st, 2004, 07:56 AM   #599
Regular Crew

Thanks for the direction. It just seems you would better know where to roll off your filters if you knew exactly where you noise was.

I'm going to look into these plug ins.

Thanks for everyones input, this place is awesome!
Old August 21st, 2004, 09:11 AM   #600
Major Player

Pardon My Confusion: AE & Vegas

Can Adobe After Effects work with Vegas 5.0?
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...