Vegas Video discussions from 2004 (Q3Q4) - Page 43 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old August 24th, 2004, 11:48 AM   #631
Major Player

This relates back to an earlier question I posted on the same topic, seeking a solution akin to Premiere's "Scenes" feature which is ideal for long-form projects such as films.

My own project (Coming Attractions Trailer almost ready for posting and comments) should wind down to almost 2 hours long, and as someone new to NLE's in general, this one feature is desperately needed.

One disadvantage to rendering a whole scene out first and then dropping within the full-lenght time line is that everytime you make a change, you have two projects to render instead of just one.

Does anyone know how we might get Sony's ear on this to suggest for an upcoming revision?

Thanks,

Brian
Old August 24th, 2004, 12:05 PM   #632
Sponsor: JET DV

Here's your best bet:

http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.co...suggestion.asp
Old August 24th, 2004, 01:21 PM   #633
Major Player

I made the suggestion, we'll have to wait and see if Sony follows through.

Brian
Old August 24th, 2004, 03:40 PM   #634

Was supposed to have been out already. I don't know why it's not.
I do know that the exceptionally high number of screenshots is hard for layout people to work with. We've gone through this with 4 books now. Layout people hate high numbers of images. Takes FOREVER to get the Instant Series books out.
http://www.vasst.com
Old August 24th, 2004, 10:30 PM   #635
Major Player

Just got back from Cinefest 2004 in Denver.

Saw the adobe people do their magic with after effects and was very impressed. Am I right in assuming that this is the program that can give me lots of amazing choices for CG work?

It really seemed excellent, and I think I might have to get it.

Also Doug Spotted Eagle was there and did an amazing demonstration of Vegas 5. It's definitely time to move up.

Milt Lee
Old August 25th, 2004, 08:25 AM   #636
Major Player

Any plug-ins or way to...

Working on such a long project there are a few things I miss from the Avid/FCP world. For example, is there anything out there that will allow me to color code my bins/folders in Vegas 5 now? I know you couldn't in 4. How about printing bin/folder/clip info? I felt more "secure" with a printed record of what's on which drive in the event of (god forbid) a crash. Also, while the search function in the Media Pool is a good start, is there a way to have it bring up which exact bin/folder the desired clip is in?

I'm sure more will occur to me as I crank along...
Marcia
Old August 25th, 2004, 09:14 AM   #637
Regular Crew

how much quality is lost?

This is what I've been doing:
1) I record video at 24p (Advanced) in my DVX100a
2) capture to PC using Vegas 4.0, via firewire. Save clips as .avi's
3) edit video
4) render as an .avi

however, then when I burn that avi to SVCD or just view it on my computer screen, the quality is absolute crap. Completely different from the beautiful image I see right after shooting when I view my dailies from the camera to any TV set with a set of AV cables.

What am I doing wrong, or how much quality is being lost from beginning to final product (the final avi file). Is there a better format I should be using other than avi? thanks..
Old August 25th, 2004, 09:23 AM   #638

The AVI file should be fine. However, an SVCD is a highly compressed MPEG file which will be much lower in quality than the AVI file.
Old August 25th, 2004, 09:53 AM   #639
Inner Circle

Ahh, media management blues... One of the things I really really love while working in Avid on long form docs.
Old August 25th, 2004, 10:14 AM   #640
Regular Crew

three questions then

1) are .avi's compressed or uncompressed. is it the best format to capture to?
2) how do they compare to .mov?
3) so if i author a DVD from the .avi, will the quality be as good as the original camera quality (ie. is the loss only coming from printing to SVCD?)

thanks again.
Old August 25th, 2004, 10:40 AM   #641

When you "capture" via firewire, you are simply COPYING the data from the tape to the hard drive. There would be NO difference between MOV or AVI as they both contain the exact same data except for the "wrapper". Your DV-AVI files are compressed but the compression is done in the camera. There is NO additional compression during the capture process.

I believe you will see a MUCH higher quality on a DVD as compared to an SVCD.
Old August 25th, 2004, 10:55 AM   #642
Regular Crew

Marcia,

There is a script called Clip Logger that will allow you to output the media pool info to a delimited text file. It was originally written for importing clip log info, but I added the export function based upon a user request.

If you want to give it a try, go to the following link for more info. Clip Logger is a part of the Veggie Toolkit. If you download the toolkit, you can try it for 30 days.

http://www.peachrock.com/software/veggie-toolkit.html

If you desire any enhancements to the script, just email me at info@peachrock.com and I will see what I can do to help.

Randall
Old August 25th, 2004, 02:18 PM   #643
Regular Crew

Vince,

You can still order Vegas Video Editing (3 hours of Vegas 4 instruction) at www.VegasTrainingAndTools.com.

Thanks,
Gary
Old August 25th, 2004, 08:26 PM   #644
Major Player

Frankly...

I can match up the look of the dvx100 with the XL1S in terms
of saturation, sharpness, etc. Can I really acheive the 24p
look in Vegas with the XL1S?
Old August 25th, 2004, 09:15 PM   #645
Wrangler

Re: Frankly...

<<<-- Originally posted by Michael Best : I can match up the look of the dvx100 with the XL1S in terms
of saturation,
Any NLE will give you control over saturation.

sharpness,
No. Sure there are equivalents to the unsharpen mask filter but that doesn't really "sharpen" the image. It just boosts the contrast between edges.

The XL1s naturally offers a much softer image than the DVX100. Especially in lower light. The lower the light the softer and muddier the image becomes.

Can I really acheive the 24p
look in Vegas with the XL1S?
Depends on what you define as the 24p look? You can definitly manipulate the image and framerate to mimic the DVX's look but it will be, by no means, identical.

If your really that set on the DVX's looks why not hock your XL-1s and get a DVX?
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...