Vegas Video discussions from 2004 (Q3Q4) - Page 49 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old September 2nd, 2004, 10:31 AM   #721
Trustee

Actually I've noticed this phenomenon today working with 25fps PAL footage. I had to turn off Quantise to frames to be able to line everything up again.
Old September 2nd, 2004, 11:21 AM   #722
Wrangler

Are you sure that cut is placed exactly on the end of the previous frame- do you have quantize to frames enabled?
Old September 2nd, 2004, 12:39 PM   #723
Regular Crew

Michael,

I'm not clear on your exact problem--are you losing sync between your audio and video tracks--is it gradual drift out of sync or just a constant shift? Or is it that both the audio and video shift on the timeline as you edit? In any case, you can right click on events and lock them so they don't shift--regardless of additional edits.
Old September 2nd, 2004, 12:44 PM   #724
Major Player

Best scan settings for old photos?

What settings are best for Vegas, when scanning in old photos (resolution, bit depth, etc.)? I've seen mention on this board of the "Ken Burns" effect and Edward's nifty script (on my "to buy" list), but not any discussion of optimal scanner settings to get the pictures into the PC in the first place.

Anyone?
Old September 2nd, 2004, 12:48 PM   #725
Sponsor: JET DV

Marcia, I just scan everything at 300 dpi at whatever size the image actually is. Once you add it to the timeline, open Pan/Crop, right-click the image on the Pan/Crop screen, and choose "Match Output Aspect" (there's a script that will do this to a bunch of images at once). Then you can adjust the Pan/Crop settings as desired to create the movement. The PBS Wizard is great if you want to add movement to a LOT of images quickly.
Old September 2nd, 2004, 01:02 PM   #726
Major Player

It's not due to any drifting, what I'm saying is that the audio
is not edited, the video is so it is slowing in the preview window
as more editing is done. When you watch playback it gets more
and more out of sync (because it has not been rendered yet).
This is really a function of computer speed but I need to be able
to watch accurately what I've edited from a timing stand point.
Old September 2nd, 2004, 01:08 PM   #727
Regular Crew

John, the footage was captured with the Vegas 5 VidCap program from a MiniDV tape. Some of the clips have been processed through deinterlace and sharpening digital intermediates, all with Vegas.

Glen, the sample I showed is end of the first cut of the timeline.

The thing of note, here, is that the symptom consistently appears on .veg projects that have been "used" but not within brand new .veg projects. I'm not sure of the amount of "use" that results in the symptom.

Michael
Old September 2nd, 2004, 01:12 PM   #728
Major Player

Thanks Edward! I'd better take a moment and go grab a couple of your plug-ins now, while I'm thinking about it. I'm a bit distracted these days. I go to sleep, wake up, even dream about what I'm editing...

Marcia
Old September 2nd, 2004, 01:49 PM   #729
Major Player

I am not familiar with Vegas details, but does this not relate to the drop frame concept? A 29,...fps frame period is somewhat longer than a 30 fps frame duration. The timecode allways counts in 30 frame units. In order to make this framecounter representative for the real time (duration) it now and then drops a timecode number (not a frame!). If yr Vegas outputs (renders) and inserts a new 30fps timecode you will get the difference between the framenumber and the timeline if you enter that rendered footage again and the timeline is set for 29,...fps
Old September 2nd, 2004, 02:56 PM   #730
Trustee

I don't think this is a drop frame thing as mine does it with PAL footage.
Old September 2nd, 2004, 04:49 PM   #731
Regular Crew

Note, too, what I wrote about the cursor and markers/regions. They also end up snapping off-frame along with the video clip.

Why would they be affected by an off-frame length of a video clip?
Old September 2nd, 2004, 06:03 PM   #732
Regular Crew

Michael,

Vegas Preview goes as fast as it can on your computer, but as you add more video effects, etc. it will not be in real time and you will see the actual frame rate (in red at the bottom of the preview window after Display:) slow down. There are a few things that you can do to get a real time preview:

1. Use Draft preview mode. This will speed things up, but will result is a loss of quality.

2. Prerender to disk using Tools/Selectively Prerender Video (Shift-M).

3. Prerender to RAM using Tools/Build Dynamic RAM preview (Shift-B). To use this option, you need to set a RAM buffer via Options/Preferences/Video tab, set the Dynamic RAM preview buffer to as big of a value as you can.

If you use option 3, the amount of time that you can prerender is based upon the amount of RAM that you allocate. This is the fastest option for testing short sections of video.

If you need a longer section, then option 2 is the best bet. It will prerender to disk.

Obviously the faster the computer and especially the hard disk, the more effects you can add before the preview frame rate slows down.

Randall
Old September 2nd, 2004, 06:21 PM   #733
Regular Crew

Thanks, Ed. Sorry for the delay with the reply. It was unavoidable however you did solve my problem with your reply. I just dropped the files in media player and of of many that were loading was corrupted and therefor the .veg file didn't work.

Now I am back dealing with just why my files get corrupted.

In any event, it was great to know the .veg files are all intackt.
Old September 2nd, 2004, 09:12 PM   #734
Major Player

Thanks for the info, kinda what I was thinking, can prerendered
stuff be edited though? I want to render a piece to see it but
be able to 'leave it be' in the timeline for additional editing.

Thanks so much
Old September 2nd, 2004, 09:31 PM   #735
Sponsor: JET DV

If you PRE-RENDER, yes, you can still edit just fine. As soon as you make a change in that area the pre-render will simply be discarded.

If you RENDER TO NEW TRACK, you can still edit that section, you just have to manually delete the rendered video from the upper tracks.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...