Wildlife Cinematography Master Class - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old August 23rd, 2023, 09:16 AM   #31
Vortex Media

Re: Wildlife Cinematography Master Class

Speaking of my master class, I decided to put chapter 2 on YouTube a couple of weeks ago.

Old August 31st, 2023, 08:21 AM   #32
Trustee

Doug, glad you liked the little video. When I was filming that bear at Cades Cove he was happily eating. All of a sudden, he decided to cross right in front of me. Bear school in Alaska taught me to look down and not to look aggressive so I just stayed still, kept my head down and let him walk by to greener pastures. I know what you mean about the heat in the south. I am heading out for a three-week road trip to Colorado. While there I will spend three days filming in Rocky Mountain Nation Park. And yes, I will be using all the tricks and settings I have learned in your Master Class, especially shooting at 23.97 with a shutter angle of 144 degrees. Again, thanks so much for putting this course together. As you know I have been shooting video since 1989 and I am always learning something new. Safe travels, Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2023, 04:33 PM   #33
Vortex Media

Bob, I wish you luck on your trip to Colorado and hope you have a lot of fun. It is a great time of year to be in the mountains.

I just spent 5 days on Cape Cod . . . . and didn't even bring a camera. My wife felt it was time for a true vacation, and I agreed. I'll make up for it when we get back to Florida in the Fall. :-)
Old November 12th, 2023, 06:13 PM   #34
Trustee

Doug, I recently updated my video equipment and of course I had to look at several chapters of your Wildlife Cinematography course again. So, using you advise, these are the settings I'm using.

23.97P at 1/60, XF-AVC 422 10 bit, 3840x2160 Intra-frame, 240 Mbps. My question is, I have the ability of shooting at 410 Mbps. Should I stay with the 240 Mbps or go with the 410? Damn I am always learning something from watching your training videos. Bob
Old November 13th, 2023, 10:11 AM   #35
Vortex Media

Hi Bob, first of all, those first settings are exactly what I recommend. However, when it comes to compression, the difference between 240 Mbps and 410 Mbps might not be visible. Kind of like the difference between ProRes and ProResHQ. Obviously, one is less compressed than the other, but seeing a difference between the two is almost impossible in most instances. The only way to be really sure is to shoot some side-by-side tests, which will take some time and effort, and sitll might be inconclusive.

If file size is not a concern, then I'd choose 410Mbps becaus I usually prefer to choose the best available codec. But will it make a visual difference? Probably not. I think you are going to be good no matter which you choose.
Old November 15th, 2023, 10:16 AM   #36
Trustee

Doug, I really could not see that much of a difference between 240 Mbps and 410 Mbps. I'll stick with 240 for now. Thanks for all your great advice. Bob
Old February 5th, 2024, 09:11 AM   #37
Vortex Media

Bob, millions of birds on Merritt Island now. Best I've seen it in years. Thought you might like to know.
Old February 15th, 2024, 09:15 AM   #38
Trustee

Doug, sorry I missed it, I did make the Sand hill crane migration in northern Alabama. I will be going to Naples, FL area next week. BTW, I read your article on filming wildlife on Shutterstock. Congratulations on being one of five chosen to contribute to the article. Stay safe, Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land