Horton's Point at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old January 12th, 2024, 10:17 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Horton's Point

Here's a video on Horton's Point on the North Shore of Long Island. Comments are welcome.

Conrad Obregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2024, 08:20 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Horton's Point

Hi Conrad. I like your video, the music selection and editing are very good. You might title it, The weekend I got my drone camera :) Which one is it btw?

A few comments, I think your water fx should sound louder at 50secs and be more prominent when they appear on the shore line and water scenes but lose them when water is not on the screen.

I’d like to see more story about that old lighthouse, even if you can’t do any commentary you could get some early photos and put captions to them. You might even produce a lighthouse video and sell it to the local historical museum.

Cheers.

Last edited by Allan Black; January 13th, 2024 at 10:43 PM.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2024, 08:24 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Re: Horton's Point

You’ve touched a couple of raw nerves here. Normally I would have just thanked you for your excellent suggestions and left it at that. This morning I’m feeling loquacious so I’ll make some comments.

Paraphrasing da Vinci and perhaps David Fincher, “A video is never finished, only abandoned”, I sent this video into the world knowing the sound could use further adjustment and unwilling to spend any more time reshooting a whole sequence that didn’t turn out the way I wanted and that would have made a stronger video. I wonder how many videographers feel the same way and what to do to dampen the internal voice saying “that’s enough”.

I felt that the lighthouse sequence could have used more terrestrial shots and less drone footage but I was unable to secure the cooperation of the local historical society. Not only did they refuse to answer my e-mails and phone calls, but once when I attempted to talk to the caretaker outside the lighthouse, he walked away from me! I’m not receptive to sharing anything with those folks.

The drone shots were shot with a DJI Air 3. I continue to explore the seductive capabilities of this flying camera.
Conrad Obregon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land