2nd Unit debuts with JVC 100HDs at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > 2nd Unit Television

2nd Unit Television
Companion discussion forum for the 2nd Unit TV web site.

Old June 9th, 2006, 08:55 PM   #1
2nd Unit TV

2nd Unit debuts with JVC 100HDs

I know it's slightly off-topic but I'm posting this here first because we wound up incorporating many of the comments people from this area of Chris' board made on "2nd Unit" at NAB...and because we're using only a series of 100HDs, our favorite sub-$10k cameras from JVC

As you know, we've been working on the 2nd Unit website for about six months and delayed its debut because of the suggestions the JVC group members made at NAB relative to expanding it into a full-blown ideo webcast site. I'm pleased to announce that "2nd Unit" will be shooting the first in a series of 13 episodes on the 17th, next Saturday, on location at Lite Panels in North Hollywood. 6-time Emmy Award winner and past ASC president George Spiro Dibie and USC Shool of Film Professor Rob Kositchek will be joining Jaime Emmanuelli for a roundtable discussion on video, film and lighting. The webcast, available at www.2nd-Unit.tv after editing on the 21st, like the next 12 in the set of productions, is designed to provide viewers with an education and information on how top industry veterans operate in the hopes that their insights will spark informed discussion among this board's wonderful people and help make their work products even better.

I truly think that DVInfo is a great discussion forum and Chris has done a wonderful job with it. I'm proud to be a small part of it and I hope that by putting "2nd Unit" together, the members of this board will benefit from the insights our guests provide and that those insights will help everyone make better films and videos.

Whomever's in the area, please come down and join us on set to sit in on the shoot, meet these industry greats, perhaps grab some footage of your own and ask these wonderful people your own questions about painting with light. They're there to help. The shoot starts at 10:00am at Lite Panels, 10932 Burbank Blvd in North Hollywood which is just east of Vineland on the south side of Burbank Blvd.

Jonathan
Old June 10th, 2006, 09:29 AM   #2
Trustee

Jonathan.

Very exciting news, great to see the HD100 being used in the professional arena. I remember browsing through the 2nd Unit website a few days ago but the link you just included in your message doesn't seem to work.
Old June 10th, 2006, 12:42 PM   #3
2nd Unit TV

The site is building at a temp home, Paolo, at www.dvx-2ndunit.com. Its permanent home will be at www.2nd-Unit.tv after its debut that week. We're very excited to be able to bring this caliber of professional to the screen like George, Rob and Rodney whom I had the chance to spend a week with in Toronto a couple of weeks ago thanks to Taylor Wiggerborro. (inside joke...it's Wigton!) The duest list is really impressive and we'll publish it that week as well on the site so film folks can plan their viewing.
Jonathan
Old June 10th, 2006, 06:32 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thank you, Jonathan. I've been closely following the development of your web site. It would be very exciting to see fast paced TV production from genesis to broadcast and the opportunity to see how the industry pros work. Congratulations.
Old June 10th, 2006, 07:17 PM   #5
2nd Unit TV

Thank you, George. I hope you all enjoy the series. I wanted to kick off the series with a top cnematographer and turned to George Spiro Dibie, my friend and 6-time Emmy Award winning television genius for that. The up side is of course he said yes. The down side is he's get's to use my first show as an example of what to do and what NOT to do in setting lighting ;-) This oughta be a humbling experience!!! But that's what "2nd Unit" is all about; giving viewers the opportunity to learn from the industry's top directors, DPs, cinematographers and the like even if it's at my expense!!! We'll be shooting the show behind the scenes during set-up from 7-10am Saturday so everyone get's to see George as he inspects and makes suggestions on the setup. Again, I'm so happy to you all are looking forward to it. If you are in the area and can make it, I hope you'll join us on set. People are coming from all over for the live taping inluding Paolo who's coming down from the Monterey Bay area of Santa Cruz.

EDIT: Never mind. I just saw you are in Utah!!!
Old June 11th, 2006, 10:23 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ames
The site is building at a temp home, Paolo, at www.dvx-2ndunit.com. Its permanent home will be at www.2nd-Unit.tv after its debut that week.
Thanks. BTW, if you want to have the new site point to the old one in the meantime, just create a file called index.html and enter this text:

<html>
<head>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Refresh" CONTENT="2; URL=www.dvx-2ndunit.com">
</head>
<body></body>
</html>

Copy the file to the "future" web site and it will redirect viewers to the temporary site until you overwrite the site with the new content.
Old June 12th, 2006, 07:57 AM   #7
New Boot

God Bless 2nd Unit & DVINFO.NET

For those of you who unselfishly give in this forum and on 2nd Unit, in the past, now and in the future, GOD BLESS YOU! Even you atheists. You are, each and everyone, a credit to the human race.
Old June 12th, 2006, 08:18 AM   #8
2nd Unit TV

Now there's smething you don't see in every board. Thanks, Oscar. We do have a great group of people here.
J

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > 2nd Unit Television