Need VR advice at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > 360 Panoramic / Spherical + AR & VR
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

360 Panoramic / Spherical + AR & VR
Take a look *around.*

Old April 8th, 2016, 12:06 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Need VR advice

Hi all:

Working with a producer who wants to shoot a VR demo reel for their clients NOW! I have been researching, have written some articles for HDVideoPro on high end VR like the Google Stories "Help" piece, directed by F&F director, Justin Lin, been researching some of Chris Milk's VR work and it's all good. But these are pieces that have a fairly large budget and resources.

We have been looking at and eagerly anticipating the Sphericam 2 but it's not really that close to shipping yet. What about VR rigs that can be rented (for a reasonable cost of say, $500.00 per day?) today? Does anyone know of any LA area rental houses who are renting a decent quality VR acquisition system today that doesn't take a week long class to learn how to use? Anyone have a line on any LA-based VR post experts who know the right plug-ins and workflow to use, have the headsets, can handle the stitching, etc.?

Since this is spec, the producer is willing to spend a little money but not a large crew, big scale production. What do you know? Who should I speak with?
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2016, 02:25 PM   #2
Wrangler

Re: Need VR advice

Hi Dan,

Contact Andy Shipsides at AbelCine and look into renting Nokia OZO. https://www.abelcine.com/store/Nokia-OZO/

The plugins I've developed function with OZO stereoscopic 360 footage once it is output from their stitching app.

Cheers,
Tim
Old April 13th, 2016, 04:23 AM   #3
Major Player

Given your extremely tiny budget, perhaps just try and source somebody small with a 6x GoPro rig who is happy to help out for a token payment of a few hundred?
David Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2016, 07:33 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Spoke with the guys at Radiant Images, they rent the Go Pro 6, 7 and 10 camera rigs, the Ozo, as well as some very high-end proprietary systems. Go Pro 6 is $900.00 per day, the 7 and 10 systems are $1,200.00 per day. Radiant Images charges a three day week, so $2,700.00 per week for the GoPro 6 system. They have a proprietary system based off of of the Sony A7s that rents for $2,200.00 per day. It seems the Ozo system may have some heat issues which could affect us as we may be shooting a project in the African desert. They do rent the Ozo system though, I think it rents for about $3k per day. I may check in with Andy to see what Abel is doing with it and what the feedback is on it (the Ozo).

We are planning on shooting a test with the GoPro 6 system and if it works out well, we will take that system to Africa. Will keep you guys updated with our progress.
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2016, 02:42 PM   #5
Wrangler

I was going to add a GoPro 6 rig to our rental inventory and pegged on renting it for $300/d. $900/d?? Wow!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > 360 Panoramic / Spherical + AR & VR