Shooting in 3D with Two DVX100s at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery

3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery
Discuss 3D (stereoscopic video) acquisition, post and delivery.

Old November 23rd, 2007, 04:49 AM   #1
Major Player

Shooting in 3D with Two DVX100s

I have been thinking about shooting a black and white monster movie in 3D with two DVX100s using the Anaglyphic method and Red&Cyan glasses (the cheap paper kind since I'll be buying 200 of them for a festival screening).

I will be producing a tripod mount for the two cameras making them spaced correctly and parallel so that they may pan on the same head. I need not zoom for the film.

Any thoughts, ideas, problems, or solutions?

I did just see Beowulf, and have no aspirations to make anything of that quality. We only have one projector, so the Anaglyphic method it shall be. Having a red tinted scientist absurdly point at the camera - popping off screen- while telling another character about something scientific, would do it for me.

edit: Wait a minute, theres a 3d SECTION!? WHERE HAVE I BEEN!?

DELETE
Bryan Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2007, 02:06 PM   #2
Inner Circle

21st century 3D does this with the Andromeda-modded DVX100s. (But obviously not anaglyph.)

But then again, their rig might be out of your price range. It's rental only, and in the ballpark of $5k/day. One of their reps will fly out and help with the 3d stuff; I can't remember if you have to pay for their hotel+travel. Contact them for an exact quote... $5k/day might be off the mark.

2- A moderator will likely move your post, don't worry.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2007, 02:31 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Moved from Open DV to 3D.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2007, 09:00 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
Moved from Open DV to 3D.
Thanks Chris.

Glen, I don't know much about the mod, but the polarized method is pretty much out as a viable possibility given the venue and my budget.

Hopefully the DVX's are small enough to get close enough together for my use, but if not, I suppose I could always go with smaller less professional cameras.
Bryan Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2007, 01:46 PM   #5
Wrangler

Bryan,

I've done this before but we decided to remove the door/handle of the left camera in order to get them closer together. This was difficult and required the help of the service manual.
You may also want to remove the lens hoods, but they are still no where near the target interaxial distance of 65 or 70mm, but the effect still works. You may end up with a "hyper-stereoscope" effect if the cameras are too far apart. Some people like this. I find that it feels like you are much shorter than the actual tripod height when the lenses are too far apart.

We used a vacuum belt for synchronizing focus.
Old December 19th, 2007, 06:07 PM   #6
Trustee

Try the split-prism method. One camera mounted at 90 degrees to the other, aimed at a one-way mirror. the other camera is behind the mirror.

I wish I could locate a diagram or picture of the setup but it's relatively common and easy to achieve, and allows you to get both cameras' field of view as close as you want, right up to both cameras even getting the exact same perspective.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery