Panasonic HDC-SD9's for stereoscopic rig (experimental) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery
Discuss 3D (stereoscopic video) acquisition, post and delivery.

Old June 13th, 2008, 09:09 PM   #1
Major Player

Panasonic HDC-SD9's for stereoscopic rig (experimental)

Ok - so I'm getting interested in experimenting in 3D rigs - nothing commercial at this point but I figure it's an area I want to be up with the play on rather than behind on in the future.

Was wondering what people's thoughts would be on using simple handy cams like HDC-SD9's for a really basic 3D rig - just for experimental work on a low budget.

They've got a spec width of 65mm, This suggests to me that two mounted right next to each other would pretty closely match the interocular distance of 65mm.

Also - one of the reasons I'm seriously considering these cams for experimentation is a mate of mine has already got one, which means I'd be only forking out for one (and a second cam is always useful) and would just need to work out a methodology for rigging them.

They are listed as having HDMI (mini) output and AV output (mini) so I figure this could get around the monitoring issue of having one camera directly next to the other (no room for the flip out view finder) or alternatively could mount one cam upside down and flip out one view finder to the left and one to the right (not sure how useful this sort of live monitoring will be on the two different cams.)

I'm not sure what software I'd be using to work with the stereoscopic side of things - Probably After Effects.

Anyway - Anyone had a look at these cameras for these purposes?

Cheers,

Craig.
Craig Parkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2008, 07:03 PM   #2
Wrangler

There are many cameras in this class that would work but it would really be best to have viewfinders instead of just a flip-out LCD. If you could get two little camcorders 65-70mm away from each other and then look directly into the viewfinders you would see the stereoscopic effect. With little cameras like this I would just use a flat bar ($2 at a hardware store) and drill some 1/4" holes at 65mm with a mounting hole for your tripod plate.
Use the IR remote to trigger the cameras simultaneously.
Old June 14th, 2008, 07:33 PM   #3
Major Player

Hey Tim, yeah I figured this out when I saw in the manual that the thing won't actually record with the viewfinders only. Was kinda hoping to experiment with HD 3D, or at the very least use the HD to be able to play around with composition more through pan and scan etc).

Also figured that using pan and scan and 3D space in after effects there might have been some ways to play around with convergence points in post more to get some funky (albeit probably nausea inducing) 3D effects.

I'm now looking at regular DV cameras in the same size and shape configuration as there seems to be a bit of software out there that supports it, and I can hopefully pick up such cams pretty cheaply.
Craig Parkes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery